User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i think they want to see if you are on the phone or reading or eating when something happens, i know i would duct tape that sucker and if they said something about not being able to get a picture i would say it must be broke, just be sure to remove tape when you get near the terminal
Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct77
i think they want to see if you are on the phone or reading or eating when something happens, i know i would duct tape that sucker and if they said something about not being able to get a picture i would say it must be broke, just be sure to remove tape when you get near the terminal
That's exactly what Big Brother is looking for ct77. And you know what? They're gonna get it too. No matter how much we dislike it.

They've already figured out the disabling techniques that you have pointed out. These usually fall under "immediate termination" in the employee handbook.

Sorry to play the devil's advocate here. Just letting you know.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:54 AM

yea, i see what yer all saying...but i'm with ct77 on this one...i'd find a way to cover it or block their signal...oops!...i'd rather go with the whole black box idea....check that IF something happens....
Old 09-16-2008, 04:06 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR9501
yea, i see what yer all saying...but i'm with ct77 on this one...i'd find a way to cover it or block their signal...oops!...i'd rather go with the whole black box idea....check that IF something happens....
Well, you could block the signal. That, however, will do nothing to disable the hard drive that is still recording. You have only disabled the 'live link' and they will be after you quicker than if your Qualcomm goes out.

This is not only a "live" system that we are talking about. Everything goes on to "hard storage" a la 'black box' technology that we read about in the aviation industry. No stopping it I'm afraid.

Maybe we'll have to dispense with some bad habits....................

Old 09-16-2008, 04:09 AM

wow...that really sucks...and im sorry but i just cant see how any of u would agree and think this thing is OK...i say we petition!...lol
Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm playing Devil's Advocate with Belpre on this one. Key thing to remember here is, if it's THEIR TRUCK they can pretty much do what they want. I look at it on the flip side....if you or I involved in a major accident (God forbid) this could actually help clear us as a driver of the accusations that could be thrown against us in court (providing also that you are doing what you are supposed to). BTW, wasn't the argument a few months back concerning E.O.B.R.s that they would go into the fleet's whose safety ratings pretty much sucked, and that companies with a good running track record would be exempt?

As for the argument of unplugging qualcomm's and/or covering the satellite dish itself to get away with stuff, how will you explain your actions against the E.C.M.'s readout? This reminds me of a driver out west I heard complaining one day how he was fired for something similar (if memory serves me correctly he was with Swift); he had been covering his satellite dish so the company couldn't pick up that he was shooting down hills, severely over-speeding. Apparently he didn't realize that the E.C.M. records engine speed history, and when an occasion finally arrived requiring his truck be plugged up to the computer and information was gathered about what he had been doing he was terminated soon thereafter.

If you have to play stupid games to try and make a few extra $$$ that could potentially endanger the lives of people out here, you're driving for the wrong company and either need to A)switch companies or B)get out of this industry altogether and find another occupation before it catches up with you. Doesn't matter if local, regional, or O.T.R........ :wink:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 AM

ok carlos, yea i see your point now...but im not saying i ever did unplug my qualcomm or cover up the satelite, but i've heard of ppl doing it...but i still juist dont like them hovering over me with a camera in my truck...the companies i've been with have never once said a thing about my downhill speed...for 2 1/2 months of my career have i been stuck in a 65mph truck...i vow never to again if i have to go back otr....it puts me to sleep and bores crap outta me...
Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Airlines have had such recording devices in their planes for decades. as have aircraft which fly under FAR Part 135.

As for recording conversations in a truck??

I'm not sure what the legality is.

Still, the fact is that such monitoring has become more commonplace over the past several decades. This isn't a matter of what drivers think..... it all boils down to what the courts will allow.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Senior Board Member

As it was posted here, and in other topics along the same lines:

The truck is *NOT* yours. You are driving that truck for SOMEONE. It's theirs to do with as they please, except for the obvious of putting a camera/mic in the sleeper berth.

If you're not happy with what someone does with THEIR TRUCK, there are plenty of other carriers out there.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:35 PM

well, myself and many other ppl agree with me that its an invasion of privacy, whats wrong with just installing EOBR? i dont have a problem with that....but everytime there's an accident and someone gets hurt, its always the drivers fault...sorry but i'm voicing my opinion