User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hoffa a great man :lol: :lol:
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3404703020.html

I especially like the part of the connections to organized crime, his felonies, and the misuse of $20 million in pensions.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp

As for being young and idealistic, I also dont think thats a bad thing. All of us have been there. I've been in the seat for 16 years now and am about to hit my 44th birthday in a few weeks.
I'm not against unions its just that I'm not high on them and have been in far too many plants and loading docks sitting for 4-6hrs watching the union guys screw around that I have become jaded.
I may have mis-read you. You're older than I thought, I'm 45. Then again I was right, we're both young!
lol, I'll agree with you there!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
Actually, Mr. Waggoner's 2007 compensation was $2.05 Million which was 1/3 of the median salary for CEO's in the consumer durable goods sector and ranked #433 out 500 of the executive compensation list.
No, you're wrong. His total compensation was $15.7 million in 2007. Much of that was options grants.

His actual base salary was $1.6 million. He also recieved $1.8 million in non-equity incentive compensation and another $700,000 in "perks" such as insurance benefits, security, aircraft expenses and other factors.

So his total base salary plus benefits was more like $4.1 million in 2007. The other $11.7 million was options grants.

Here's some others:

Fritz Henderson, who was promoted to president and chief operating officer in March, received compensation of about $9.3 million in 2007

Vice Chairman Bob Lutz's compensation rose to about $9 million in 2007, from about $5.1 million in 2006. The product chief's salary was raised to $1.75 million, from $1.3 million.

All this, while GM lost $38 billion dollars! :shock:

Quote:
The main reason GM is tanking is the same for the other car companies: legacy costs and health care costs due to outrageous union contracts.
Hmmm...I guess the fact that US automakers abandoned small, fuel-efficient cars and put all thier money into pick-up trucks and big SUV's had nothing to do with it, right?

And GM no longer pays health-care benefits for its retirees.

Quote:
You sound envious of the pay of CEO's.
I don't think these guys should be getting millions in compensation and other perks while the company loses billions of dollars.
Actually I got my figures from The Wall Street Journal and I'm pretty sure they know what they are talking about in the business world.
Automakers begain making pick-ups and SUV's because, wait for it.....the marketplace demanded it. Imagine that, supply and demand.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I don't wait 2 hours to talk to the shipper or receiver. If I see that I may be unnecessarily delayed then I go and talk to them.
And if you sit for 2 hours are you getting paid? Nope. Real good business plan there. :lol:

Quote:
And a lot of those grocery warehouses are union. I have delivered to some of those when I pulled a van around. They really know how to waste your time. :twisted:
There are alot more NON-UNION grocery warehouses than there are union. It's not 1985 anymore, get with the times. Many produce houses, warehouses, meat-packing plants, and DC's are down south in right-to-work states where the ones who seem to have the most right to work are illegal aliens...who are NON-UNION.

And if you can name just ONE unionized lumper service, I'd like to hear it.

Quote:
Actually I got my figures from The Wall Street Journal and I'm pretty sure they know what they are talking about in the business world.
http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/25042008/323...7-million.html

Quote:
"Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner received compensation valued at $15.7 million for 2007, up 64 percent from the previous year, according to a federal regulatory filing the company made on Friday.

Wagoner earned $1.56 million in salary last year, but he received incentive awards of $1.8 million, and stock options and restricted stock valued at $11.7 million, according to the filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission."
Quote:
Automakers begain making pick-ups and SUV's because, wait for it.....the marketplace demanded it. Imagine that, supply and demand.
And when gas prices went up and consumers DEMANDED smaller cars and the Big 3 had a glut of gas-hogging SUV's and Hummer's in their inventory, they took huge losses.

The Japanese automakers didn't abandon the small-car market like the Big 3 did, which is why they're in much better shape. And they were way ahead of the curve in hybrid vehicles like the Toyota Prius.

But it's all the union's fault, right? :roll:
Old 08-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Senior Board Member

433 G Richard Wagoner Jr General Motors 2.05 5 25.24 5.0 55 160

433 = ranking on a scale of 1 - 500
2.05 = base pay in millions
5 = number of shares of stock owned
25.24 = total compensaton for 5 years
55 = age

From Forbes annual rankings of the top 500 executives in the USA.

If you read my previous comments you will see that I dont blame it all on the unions. The unions demanded the contracts and the companies gave it to them so, to a certain extent, the damage was self-inflicted. The problem is that now the companies are imploding and the unions are resisting re-negotiating their contracts at the possible cost of their jobs.
The fact that the Japanese companies in the US are doing ok and are not union is not a fluke. Its a fact of life and the way that the business world is going. To ignore this is silly. I have said before and I say it again, I dont care if someone joins a union but when unions give over $30 million to political campaigning an amount excedeing all else except one other thing I question the motives.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
I don't wait 2 hours to talk to the shipper or receiver. If I see that I may be unnecessarily delayed then I go and talk to them.
And if you sit for 2 hours are you getting paid? Nope. Real good business plan there. :lol:

Quote:
And a lot of those grocery warehouses are union. I have delivered to some of those when I pulled a van around. They really know how to waste your time. :twisted:
There are alot more NON-UNION grocery warehouses than there are union. It's not 1985 anymore, get with the times. Many produce houses, warehouses, meat-packing plants, and DC's are down south in right-to-work states where the ones who seem to have the most right to work are illegal aliens...who are NON-UNION.

And if you can name just ONE unionized lumper service, I'd like to hear it.

I didn't say that I waited 2 hours. Get with the program. Waiting is part of this business. No matter what, you will do some waiting. I have a very good business plan. I make money.

I doubt that you were even born in 1985. You have no idea of what things were like back then. You need to understand what is happening in this country. Unions are rapidly becoming a phenomenon of the past. There are fewer people who are union today than there were 30 years ago. I love to hear their rhetoric about being paid for every minute and all the benefits they receive. They never mention what they pay these unions to extort money from their employers and how easily they can slack off for their pay. Union companies have been going out of business for years. Companies have been over paying union workers for many years. That is a big part of the reason why the major auto workers and others are having problems right now. There are other economic factors, but over paying workers is one primary cause. These people will either need to take pay cuts or lose their jobs.

I don't use lumper services. I pull a step deck.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Board Regular

lot of union folks think its evil for a company to operate at a profit when in the real world an unproftitable business will close the doors evry time.
these boeing workers wont find a better job.
after the furor was raised it was decided to reconsider the airforce tanker contract that was won by the COMPETITION.
immediately the machinist union and the engineers union announced they will strike soon.
they really cant unnerstand why almost the whole plane has been outsourced to overseas and the southeast. yes they will find a way to earn a profit.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
lot of union folks think its evil for a company to operate at a profit when in the real world an unproftitable business will close the doors evry time.
these boeing workers wont find a better job.
after the furor was raised it was decided to reconsider the airforce tanker contract that was won by the COMPETITION.
immediately the machinist union and the engineers union announced they will strike soon.
they really cant unnerstand why almost the whole plane has been outsourced to overseas and the southeast. yes they will find a way to earn a profit.
I know of alot of union companys the turn a big profit. The old company i work for was all union ( not the drivers :evil: ) But the labors and operators were union. The labors got like 23-24/hr and operators got around 32-35/hr. Let me tell you something the owner of that company Jim Quinn was very well off. He used to always bitch he was making no money. But he has one big ass house worth 900k-1.1M. and a 58ft yacht. He was making money. He should make the money after all he is the owner. But just cuz they are union does not mean they are not making money.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 08-16-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that I waited 2 hours.
When you do, do you get paid for your time? No. Nuff' said on that score.

Quote:
Waiting is part of this business. No matter what, you will do some waiting.
Yes waiting is a part of the business. The difference is that I'm paid to wait while you sit there for free.

Quote:
I have a very good business plan. I make money.
Not while you're waiting. In that case, you're earning $0.00 for your time.

Quote:
These people will either need to take pay cuts or lose their jobs.
Sorry, you can take paycuts just so you can hobo around truckstops on the weekend. Me, I'll get raises and get paid for my time and get home.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You like working for free and living out of your truck, and I don't.

Happy Trails!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Board Regular

most of those grocery warehouses i was at, they had a few union guys sitting on hysters and taking coffee breaks which required all the real work on the docks to stop for some reason.
for some reason the drivers hired migrant laborers to drag the stuff out the trailers and take it off one pallet and put it on another pallet. really the migrants did all the work enabling the warehouses to remain profitable. of course the migrants were not affiliated with the warehouse or the truckers even tho they worked there evry day as long as they were able.
i dont miss those creeps but some of those migrants were good men