User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Truck Stop Scene. Can you dig it?

OTR drivers spend most of their down time at truck stops, right?

So what is it like there?

I've read about all the bad things that happen, but how frequent are these occurrences?

How often do you have to wait 45 minutes to fuel because some joker spends 15 minutes inside after he fuels his truck?

How often do you have to wait in line to take a shower?

How often do you see someone piddling on the ground?

How often do you find yourself in the vicinity of a trucker who stinks?

How often do the lot lizards bother you?

How often are you woke up by noises from other trucks, etc.?

How often is it hard to find a parking spot?

Do drivers socialize with each other at truck stops? Or do they mostly keep to themselves?

I love this forum. I'm learning a lot. But I worry that the cumulative effect of reading the numerous horror stories will give me an incorrect idea of what it's really like.

Can anyone help me out with an evenhanded description or two?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
How often do you have to wait 45 minutes to fuel because some joker spends 15 minutes inside after he fuels his truck?
The problem isnt the one spending 10-15 minutes, it is the one who spends 30 minutes or more, and this only happens if you are truly pressed for time.

Quote:
It is all in the planning. If you want a shower at 5pm you are probably going to wait a while, but if take one at noon or at 4 am then odds are very good you won't have to wait at all.

Quote:
I used to see it once or twice a week, but 3 or 4 times a week I would see someone open up their door, pour out their pee jug and then drive off.

Quote:
If you are talking the make me want to go to a pig farm for fresh air stink I would say a couple of times a month. If you are talking about the offensive but marginally tollerable if you don't breath too deep stink that happens almost every day.

Quote:
I have only had it happen twice in about 6 years.

Quote:
I usually idled my truck at night so it was rare for another truck to wake me up, but a couple of times a month I would encounter some joker who just had to use his jakes at 2 am.

Quote:
Depends on the area. In the north east parking can be hard to come by after 2 or 3pm sometimes and by 6 or 7pm it can seem impossible at time. The farther west you go the easier it tends to be and the later you can pull in to find a spot unless you are near a large metro area.

Quote:
Do drivers socialize with each other at truck stops? Or do they mostly keep to themselves?
Yes to both. Just depends on the individuals.

For the most part if you use some common sense, plan your trips well, keep your eyes and ears open you will find a minimum of problems.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Truck Stop Scene. Can you dig it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcannon
OTR drivers spend most of their down time at truck stops, right? ....No....not true

So what is it like there?

I've read about all the bad things that happen, but how frequent are these occurrences?

How often do you have to wait 45 minutes to fuel because some joker spends 15 minutes inside after he fuels his truck? ....never had that happen

How often do you have to wait in line to take a shower? once and only for about 5 mins

How often do you see someone piddling on the ground? Never seen it

...once at a DOT station the guy next to me smelled really beastly

How often do the lot lizards bother you? Twice in 3 years

When the reefer cuts off i get spooked out of bed

How often is it hard to find a parking spot? ... always try to park at either the shipper or receiver if possible....truck stops generally fill up fast after dark

Do drivers socialize with each other at truck stops? Or do they mostly keep to themselves? ....most look to tired to waste energy talking
after driving all day

I love this forum. I'm learning a lot. But I worry that the cumulative effect of reading the numerous horror stories will give me an incorrect idea of what it's really like.

Can anyone help me out with an evenhanded description or two?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
The problem isnt the one spending 10-15 minutes, it is the one who spends 30 minutes or more, and this only happens if you are truly pressed for time.

Quote:
It is all in the planning. If you want a shower at 5pm you are probably going to wait a while, but if take one at noon or at 4 am then odds are very good you won't have to wait at all.

Quote:
I used to see it once or twice a week, but 3 or 4 times a week I would see someone open up their door, pour out their pee jug and then drive off.

Quote:
If you are talking the make me want to go to a pig farm for fresh air stink I would say a couple of times a month. If you are talking about the offensive but marginally tollerable if you don't breath too deep stink that happens almost every day.

Quote:

Quote:
I usually idled my truck at night so it was rare for another truck to wake me up, but a couple of times a month I would encounter some joker who just had to use his jakes at 2 am.

Quote:
Depends on the area. In the north east parking can be hard to come by after 2 or 3pm sometimes and by 6 or 7pm it can seem impossible at time. The farther west you go the easier it tends to be and the later you can pull in to find a spot unless you are near a large metro area.

Quote:

For the most part if you use some common sense, plan your trips well, keep your eyes and ears open you will find a minimum of problems.
The above information was supplied by someone who hasn't been in the trucking industry for several years. Had they been in the industry, they would know that times; they are a changin'.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
People who do that should get ticketed. It can't be safe to drive a truck and at the same time urinate in a jar. One hand is needed to hold the jar. One hand is needed to hold the anatomy. What's left to hold the steering wheel? Most highways have places to stop every 15-20 miles with bathrooms.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
Quote:
Quote:
People who do that should get ticketed. It can't be safe to drive a truck and at the same time urinate in a jar. One hand is needed to hold the jar. One hand is needed to hold the anatomy. What's left to hold the steering wheel? Most highways have places to stop every 15-20 miles with bathrooms.

you also need one hand for the cell phone and one for the coffee, so that's a total of 5 hands needed
Old 07-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The above information was supplied by someone who hasn't been in the trucking industry for several years. Had they been in the industry, they would know that times; they are a changin'.
sounds right to me and I have been doing this a loooooooooooong time. yes things are changing but he said it pretty much like it is..
Old 07-11-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46
I thought most truck stops were infested with lot lizards. I've read a many threads here and the impression I get is they will knock on windows at all hours of the night looking to make money. One guy wrote the lot lizards are so bad he took a blank sheet of paper and wrote a big NO and stuck it on his window. I've read the lot lizards use the CB to advertise to drivers pulling in truck stops. I've read that most lot lizards are addicted to drugs and do not look all that good. I've read one guy said he takes a box of condoms on every truck run.

If you have only seen a lot lizard twice in three years then maybe the other posts are greatly exaggerated. Other threads make it sound like most truck stops have them.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Rookie

I don't wait long for fuel or showers because I have adjusted my schedule to the hours most are asleep. I get up around 3 or 4 in the morning and do my fueling, showering, trip planning, and am long gone by 5 at the latest.

Peeing, I don't see it often but the further away I park from the actual store, the more I can smell it. Can't stand it.

Stinky truckers, every damn day. Disgusting truckers, only in the places that have TV's and video poker. They all seem to weasel out of their filth infested sleepers to come bother others with their odor on the chance of winning 5 bucks or seeing some hot chic on TV.

Never had a lot lizard bug me but I hear em on the radio in the north east quite a bit. Where I normally run they don't seem to open.

And parking is a nightmare in the northeast as was already stated if you like to run late. I just adjusted to the crappy scheduling and start ass early and end early so I never have to deal with it.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46
I thought most truck stops were infested with lot lizards. I've read a many threads here and the impression I get is they will knock on windows at all hours of the night looking to make money. One guy wrote the lot lizards are so bad he took a blank sheet of paper and wrote a big NO and stuck it on his window. I've read the lot lizards use the CB to advertise to drivers pulling in truck stops. I've read that most lot lizards are addicted to drugs and do not look all that good. I've read one guy said he takes a box of condoms on every truck run.

If you have only seen a lot lizard twice in three years then maybe the other posts are greatly exaggerated. Other threads make it sound like most truck stops have them.

I have never had a lot of problems with lot lizards. Some areas are worse than others. I have had them knock on my sleeper or door in the middle of the night. I have seem a few who look fairly decent, but for the most part I don't think most of them look that great. Frankly, they could be the most gorgeous women in the world and I would not touch ANY of them. Anyone who gets involved with those women is crazy. There is no telling what you can catch. Some drivers will allow them to use their CB to solicit business. Some states and cities are doing more sting operations. Now that would look great on a resume or application. When a recruiter asks you if you have ever been convicted of a crime you could say something like, "Well, I was convicted of solicitation once." :roll: If you want a girl, find yourself a decent girl back home. There are a lot of good women around. Any of them would be better than what you will find with a lot lizard.