User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You may want to stop and weigh the options first. How is the state of your current job? Are you secure there? Is it worth the risk to give that up to do this?
If this is what you really want, then best of luck to you. But make sure you test the water real good before you dive right in.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Senior Board Member

I would add, make sure you have several months worth of living expenses in a savings account!
Think mortgage, utilities, insurance, food car payment(s), revolving charge cards....you get the picture.
Don't get in the biz needing to make $$$ right away!
The first real paycheck will be (pardon the pun) down the road a bit! :wink:
Quite a few of the students I trained lacked funding to keep their home expenses up to par!
Know how much you need to make it once you are on your own.
Be realistic, to start with most in the 30K area!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Thanks for all the great reponses to my post. I guess the desire to become a driver is in my blood, as my grandfather was an inner-urban rail engineer, (kind of like a dedicated cable car deal from Columbus, OH to Lancaster, OH) and when that went out of business, he then became a driver for the old Lakeshore Bus Company. Yeah, it's a long time ago, but that's where I'm getting some of my desire to drive from. It skipped my Dad and landed squarly on ME.....

I don't mind hard work, fact is I enjoy it, I like traveling, even if it means driving at night and you can't see the landscape around you, like meeting people and working to get something done, (no, I am not into politics!!) and really enjoy being out on my own with no one looking over my shoulder. I am honest, reliable, intelligent, driven, (no pun intended there), neat in appearance, and believe with the proper training I would be a very solid professional driver.

Yes, I may be totally in the dark, but as the one poster states, "He Tried It" and I am just looking for the best place to start in the industry, where they'll teach me or I can learn from good drivers, so that I can correctly carry on the tradition of the industry.

Thanks again for your responses and any one else that wants to put in their two cents, please do so...