User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default They warned me in CLD class.... things people do to busses

One warning the instructors gave in CDL class is never to give more than a foot or so on the right hand side of the bus, when in the right lane, and making a right turn. Why? Because cars hate being behind busses and love to try and squeeze in and floor it to get around busses. They told us people would take one foot of your lane and a couple feet of the shoulder to try and floor it around a bus. I bet they don't do that to trucks.

Today I'm making a right hand turn and leave about 1 foot space on my right hand side. There is no shoulder. Guess who comes up on the right hand side of the bus? An adult woman on a 10 speed bycicle. The light turned green and I checked my mirrors one more time before starting to turn when I spotted her. I'd hate to think what would have happened if I just went. BTW, this was after I checked my mirrors while stopped and did not see her. I only spotted her speeding up on the side after the light turned from red to green and I checked my mirrors one more time.

The other thing I was warned about is not to expect cars to help a bus when we need space to change lanes. As soon as I turn on the turn signal to change lanes people floor it to get in front of me. The cars don't care if there is construction and a lane is closed.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

They don't do that to trucks???

They try to do so more often with a truck than with a bus. I've driven both. But, the truck does not take off as fast as a bus, so it's even MORE IMPORTANT for them to get in front of the truck. And, more than one has been caught between a trailer and a light pole.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
They don't do that to trucks???

They try to do so more often with a truck than with a bus. I've driven both. But, the truck does not take off as fast as a bus, so it's even MORE IMPORTANT for them to get in front of the truck. And, more than one has been caught between a trailer and a light pole.
I figure people would be more scared to do it to a truck.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Idiots are not smart enough to be scared. :wink:
Old 06-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
I bet they don't do that to trucks.
You'd lose money on that bet, in a major way. Presently, I'm operating a yard spotter, and I still have people do that to me as they try to dash to the most convenient parking space they can find.

Quote:
The other thing I was warned about is not to expect cars to help a bus when we need space to change lanes.
Take that one to heart. It still amazes me the sort of risks people will take to shave a perceived ten seconds to a minute off of their trip.

Quote:
As soon as I turn on the turn signal to change lanes people floor it to get in front of me. The cars don't care if there is construction and a lane is closed.
Preaching to the choir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
I figure people would be more scared to do it to a truck.
You ever watch Forrest Gump? Remember the line where he says, "Stupid is as stupid does"?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Board Regular

I believe that sums it up nicely...
Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 AM

Even worse, perhaps, is people who work at warehouses and such. They can clearly see that the BIG TRUCK IS BACKING UP -- yet their little four-wheeler blasts behind the big truck at 20 miles an hour, coming out of nowhere. Then another follows just when you're sure nobody else is behind you or approaching you. Changing shifts is the worst time for this, but it can happen almost any time of day or night. They have no respect at all for trucks or truckers.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Oh for goodness sakes peoples!

When I'm at a light and a ferrari pulls up, I gun my diesel a few times, pop the clutch, rise up in the air an inch or two, and...eat the ferrari's dust! :wink: :lol:

One of these times I'm gonna surprise the heck out of a ferarri driver...and myself! :shock: :lol:
Old 06-25-2008, 02:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKay
Even worse, perhaps, is people who work at warehouses and such. They can clearly see that the BIG TRUCK IS BACKING UP -- yet their little four-wheeler blasts behind the big truck at 20 miles an hour, coming out of nowhere. Then another follows just when you're sure nobody else is behind you or approaching you. Changing shifts is the worst time for this, but it can happen almost any time of day or night. They have no respect at all for trucks or truckers.
There's a little bitty truckstop in Sheboygan, WI. On one side is gas for the 4-wheelers and on the other side is diesel for the big rigs. That area also shares entrances/exits to a Wendy's restaurant and a Perkins restaurant.

When I'm backing up, I love it when a 4-wheeler makes a run for it and clears my rear by a few feet. :shock: 'Course I gun it and give 'em a good scare. Never see the same vehicle burn me twice! :lol:

OK...for all ya DOT and future employers monitoring this thread...I'm kidding...sort of. :lol:
Old 06-25-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKay
There's a little bitty truckstop in Sheboygan, WI. On one side is gas for the 4-wheelers and on the other side is diesel for the big rigs. That area also shares entrances/exits to a Wendy's restaurant and a Perkins restaurant.

When I'm backing up, I love it when a 4-wheeler makes a run for it and clears my rear by a few feet. :shock: 'Course I gun it and give 'em a good scare. Never see the same vehicle burn me twice! :lol:

OK...for all ya DOT and future employers monitoring this thread...I'm kidding...sort of. :lol:
People with CDL's that drive for a living have a lot more to lose than they do. If we get in an accident, even if it is not our fault, we can still get fired. Our employer will say the accident was preventable. The guy in his car will call his insurance company and his problems are over. He won't get in trouble at work.

It's not exactly fair. We have to look out for ourselves, and we also have to look out for everyone who is a quarter mile within our range.