User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I REALLY want to become a Professional Driver

...but here's the thing. I have worked nothing but office jobs, except a long time ago when I worked for the local electric utility, which I enjoyed greatly, and now that I am 51, and with a supporting spouse, I don't know how to go about making the jump. Can anyone that may have been in a similar situation possibly shed some light on how they made the change?

I REALLY mean it, I have wanted to become a rig pilot for a very, very, long time, and the time to be making the change is now, while I still can be an asset to the company that would hire me. There are several of those that interest me, and I know that as each week goes by that opportunities are passing me by. So I need to get these started and I want to do it the best way possible, for myself, AND my family.

I live about 20 miles north of the I-70/I-71 interchange and not all that far from I-75, right in the heart of Central Ohio, so I hope that there are alot of local terminals for various companies, that would give me several different choices.

Please send any and all advise my way and I thank you in advance for your responses.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 AM

I take it you are wanting to be an otr driver and not a local driver. The best way is to apply to companies that either have their own cdl school or will take students that come from an outside cdl school, i do know that some companies wont just take any student as they prefer certain outside schools that they draw from. I would use the C.A.D app and they will submit it for you and then the companies will call you in a few days, now i know someone will say to pay for your own schooling cause if the company you pick doesnt work out for you well just move on to the next company. Or get a loan and that may be an option for you depending on your credit and what not and attend a local cdl school and they will help you find a company that best fits you and your needs.

Best of Luck
Byron
Old 06-25-2008, 05:21 AM

Byron,
Thanks for the info. I am considering going ahead and paying for my own training, that way I may be able to continue to work and bring income into the home while I am learning and obtaining my CDL. If I do that, then I'll be looking for a company that will pay some reimbursment to me for having shelled out the cash for my training.
There are two training facilaties in Central Ohio I can go to, Southern States Community College Truck Driver Academy and Roadmaster. Both offer an 8-weekend Sat/Sun program and that is what I'm leaning towards. Once I have my CDL I know I'll have to go through finishing with a company and orientation, but at least then I should be earning something.
Once through my finishing and get my own truck, then I want to hit the road, do my job, be ready to take on the next run, and work hard. Being the age I am, I am pretty set in my work ethic, which seems to be of the old school variety of, Do the Job, Do the Next Job, Work Hard, and good results hopefully will follow.

Again, Thanks...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

A good work ethic is critical in this business. I think you will find that older drivers are given more consideration by carriers due to this work ethic. It is one of the few professions where older drivers are actively sought.

Community college programs are a good place to start your new career. They can usually help place you with a carrier upon graduation. You live in an excellent area for driving otr. Ohio is one of the better freight areas. There are a number of companies who have terminals in Columbus. Your options may be a bit more limited starting out due to insurance. You will probably need to go with one of the training carriers until you get some solid experience.

There have been posters on this forum who have started their new career beyond 60 years old. As long as you can pass a DOT physical and have a clean MVR you should have no problem getting a job. Some people have unrealistic or idealized expectations about otr driving. It is a demanding profession with a high turnover rate. I would check with your local schools concerning companies with whom you may find a home. Good luck to you.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:27 PM

G-MAN, Thanks for your response to my post and I am already in the process of seeing who has the better connections with carriers for placement opportunities. The community college seems to have a better program, as within it they also teach about doubles, buses, and tankers, all in the same time frame as Roadmaster's program, but Roadmaster seems to be more of a CDL mill, just churning out van pilots.

Fortunately, I am in pretty good shape and do not anticipate there being any problems with the physical, or the physical work itself. I also know that no matter how much planing that I do, there will be something that comes up that make the transition a little more bumpy than I would like for it to be, but as long as the financial aspect of my family's life isn't displaced, then I hope that all goes smoothly.

Hey, it's something I should have done a long time ago and didn't, as I allow the pressures of life to interfere with my goal. But now, well, It's Just Time and I truly want to get out of the office environment that I've been trapped in for way too long....

Again, thanks for your response and anyone else out there, please feel free to input your opinion.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would not be too concerned as to those carriers who had a terminal near you, although it would be convenient. The important thing you need starting out is quality experience. You need to get the best training possible. Once you get a year or two experience behind you more opportunities will open for you. You may want to check the company listings on this forum. Most of the larger carriers are listed. They will tell you about their minimum requirements. There are other carriers out there, but it will be a good starting point. Some have minimum amount of seat or driving time requirements. There has been some who have been pushing for minimum requirements from the Feds for getting a CDL. CRST, Schneider, Millis, Roehl, Swift are a few who take trainee's, but are by no means the only ones. You should expect your earnings to be somewhat limited until you get into a truck by yourself. It can take from a few weeks to several months. That is something you need to address with any carrier for whom you are considering.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 PM

I wanted to be a trucker real bad thought I would love it. Went through 3 companys in 3 months kept thinking it was the wrong company . I think it is the worst job you dont sleep you dont eat your never home you drive all night to get there then you sit there for 3 hours . But you might like it at least I tried and saw what it was like . Good luck
Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 AM

You can get a head start by getting the CDL book from your state and reading it before classes start.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalman
I wanted to be a trucker real bad thought I would love it. Went through 3 companys in 3 months kept thinking it was the wrong company . I think it is the worst job you dont sleep you dont eat your never home you drive all night to get there then you sit there for 3 hours . But you might like it at least I tried and saw what it was like . Good luck
Why didn'y you sleep or eat??
Old 06-26-2008, 01:17 AM

I attended Roehl's school last fall, and it's a good one. Good value. They want you to get your CDL learner's permit before you start classes, because you'll be out driving on public roads within days of starting class, and you can't do that without the permit. You can take the tests for tankers, doubles and triples, or hazmat at the same time, but you only really need the tests for combination vehicles and airbrakes.