User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Central Ohio Drivers

As you may have seen on my other posts, I have a great desire to become a professional land pilot and wanted to possibly be able to meet and talk with other drivers from the Central Ohio area, if they would be willing to get together or have the time to talk. I live and currently work in Delaware, OH, not too far north of Columbus, so if there are any drivers in my local area I would really like to meet and talk about the industry, the work involved...etc, as I want to make a decision on whether to get enrolled in a training facility, probably Southern States Community College Truck Driver Academy, or to get a training company set up so I can get rolling on this career change.

Please get back to me and I look forward to anyone willing to sit down, have a cup of coffee, and be honest about what I can expect...

Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Board Regular

I live in Pickerington, will PM you.....
Old 06-27-2008, 06:19 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Delaware!! I have been to the Pilot and Flying J at mm 131 and 140 on I-71 many times!!

I live about an hour west of Columbus. I suggest going to Southern States Community College Truck Driver Academy rather than going to a company training program.

Columbus has so many big terminals like Land Air, Knight, Swift, Schneider, Pjax, Crete, Yellow, Fed Ex, Artic Cat, Roadway and who knows how many other companys. You definately live in close proximity to dozens and dozens of different job oppurtunities.

I drove for Schneider for 15 months and delivered to Walmart and Sams all over Columbus. I now drive locally and get home daily :lol: :lol: :lol:

Feel free to PM

OSU FOOTBALL TEAM WILL CRUSH ALL THIS YEAR :twisted: :twisted:
Old 06-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Mohawk,
For some reason the Administrator of the site won't allow me to PM, but I can reply to them. Would like to chat more with you and possibly meet to talk, as it is a major change for me, but one that I really want to do very much. I just don't want to be going into it blind or though I know I can't find out all the information that there is, I don't want to enter it without some idea of what it's all about.
PM me and we'll hopefully be able to chat some.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm also from Ohio and drove for 4 different company's out of Columbus (Roadway, Conway, JB Hunt and Kenan Advantage). I have 2 buddy's that have dedicated runs that get home every night (Schneider and Heartland). Like the other poster said Columbus has several major terminals for the big company's in Columbus.

Conway is about the only company that will hire new drivers and the guy that does the hiring is a pretty good guy.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:35 PM

Ben,
I am hopeing that being in a location that I am that I will hopefully benefit from it with regards to getting routed home regularly. That is after I attain my CDL, get my finishing training completed, pass all the requirements, and am given my own tractor. I've read other posts where a few newbies have gone right into their finishing work and gotten their truck and moved right into a regional position, which is something I would hope to maybe be fortunate enough to do.
I know everyone wants that 5-7 days on, 2 days off schedule, and I am like everyone else in that regard, but I would bust my butt when I'm on and want to be left alone when I'm off, well, with the exception of an emergency of some kind....
This guy just wants to dive into the industry and do so with some solid knowledge, maybe even an in or two with a couple of companies...and the "IN"s are not to take advantage of, but to have people to bounce things off of and to learn from.

Thanks