User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I was backing into a place off the street one time and had a four-wheeler actually drive over a few dozen feet of sidewalk to get around me while I was in motion, backing in. That was a new one...
Old 06-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Board Regular

Yeah four-wheelers do a lot of stupid things out there. I often ask myself are they fools? or do they merely lack common sense?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I often ask myself are they fools? or do they merely lack common sense?
Yes
Old 06-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin
Yeah four-wheelers do a lot of stupid things out there. I often ask myself are they fools? or do they merely lack common sense?
First of all... Look at the size of the cars today... They have room for two kids, the dog, the cat, the canary, two suitcases, a potted plant, and... no, they don't have room for common sense... That's going to have to stay home.

I wish they still had the show "STREET SMARTS" on TV. It was about the best example of America's intelligence I've ever seen.

Example:
Question: What does it mean when they say someone is a VIP?

Answer: It means that person only has a few weeks to live.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:06 AM
Rookie

I believe before a new liscense is issued and all liscenses are renewed 4-wheeler drivers should have to take a written exam on how to behave around any large bus or truck. Strange that it may seem, but the general 4-wheeler driving public is not educated enough on the dangers of sharing the road with an 18-wheeler, and yes there are the truly stupid, no amount of educating is gonna help. I believe also the general driving public should be held to the same kind of standards the trucking industry uses, for instance using preventables and non preventables to determine if they are allowed to continue driving. I'm paying $172 for the bare basic auto insurance coverage,monthly, and have never had an accident in a truck or car in my life. Now some jackwipe down the block has had 3 accidents in 2 years, get him off the road, if like 2 of them were preventables, and lower my payments.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I was backing up to hook my trl that was at a dock and looking in the left mirror when all of a sudden a guy comes running out from between! :shock: I didn't see him till he came out and was REAL close to bumping the trailer. I was so stunned I just sat there for a second before setting the brakes and takeing a look behind me 3-4 feetof room! the other guyacted like it was no big deal :evil:
Old 06-26-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete
I was backing up to hook my trl that was at a dock and looking in the left mirror when all of a sudden a guy comes running out from between! :shock: I didn't see him till he came out and was REAL close to bumping the trailer. I was so stunned I just sat there for a second before setting the brakes and takeing a look behind me 3-4 feetof room! the other guyacted like it was no big deal :evil:
Was it a dock worker in his car? Or did other cars come through the area? If it was a dock worker they should know better.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKay
Even worse, perhaps, is people who work at warehouses and such. They can clearly see that the BIG TRUCK IS BACKING UP -- yet their little four-wheeler blasts behind the big truck at 20 miles an hour, coming out of nowhere. Then another follows just when you're sure nobody else is behind you or approaching you. Changing shifts is the worst time for this, but it can happen almost any time of day or night. They have no respect at all for trucks or truckers.
There's a little bitty truckstop in Sheboygan, WI. On one side is gas for the 4-wheelers and on the other side is diesel for the big rigs. That area also shares entrances/exits to a Wendy's restaurant and a Perkins restaurant.

When I'm backing up, I love it when a 4-wheeler makes a run for it and clears my rear by a few feet. :shock: 'Course I gun it and give 'em a good scare. Never see the same vehicle burn me twice! :lol:

OK...for all ya DOT and future employers monitoring this thread...I'm kidding...sort of. :lol:
People with CDL's that drive for a living have a lot more to lose than they do. If we get in an accident, even if it is not our fault, we can still get fired. Our employer will say the accident was preventable. The guy in his car will call his insurance company and his problems are over. He won't get in trouble at work.

It's not exactly fair. We have to look out for ourselves, and we also have to look out for everyone who is a quarter mile within our range.

Fair? Did someone tell you life was fair? You choose to be a professional driver, so yes you have much more resposibility than the 16-90 year olds behind the wheel. And you have to constantly watch and try to out think them. Just yesterday, I was in the right turn lane, signaling to make a turn and some dumb blonde in a mini van full of kids makes a right turn from the left lane right in front of me. No signal, nothing. They don't think at all. And yes if I had hit her it would be a preventable.

The "best" bus accident story however, happened about a week ago. Bus stopped, loading passengers. A man running on foot across 4 lanes of traffic runs into the side of the bus. Knocked himself out cold. Blood all over the side of the bus from his face. Told the police he didn't see the 40 foot transit bus sitting there. When asked if he'd been drinking, he replied "oh yeah, all day". And yes, I had to fill out an Accident report, and take a breathalyzer and drug test. Company policy.

I'm sure in review it will be "preventable" because as I'm loading passengers and taking fares, bus in neautral and parking brake on, I'm also supposed to be able to watch 360 degrees around the bus.
I truly beleive that transit busses become "invisible" to people. They see them so much, they don't see them.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln