User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 03:23 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is there life after termination?

I am a very new driver. I completed training with Werner in December and got a job in January. I worked for six weeks before getting pneumonia. I took time off to get well, then found out my CDL had been disqualified, due to some information I forgot to turn into the state. I have that all taken care of and my CDL is up to date again.

However, the reason I'm writing is because I was terminated by Werner. I had a couple of minor backing accidents on Werner property or it's customer's property (I backed into a fence). The other accidents involved running into a mattress on a highway, and my trainer told me to do this because the SUV it fell off of was over on the side of the road, and I couldn't go left because of the traffic, the other was getting stuck in snow while trying to back up.

No one was killed or injured during these incidents. The trailer I backed into was slightly scratched. When I ran over the mattress, there wasn't any damage to the truck. When I got stuck in the snow, I had to be towed out, and the fence was slightly dented, but still upright. The support post for the barbed wire separated from the regular fence post.

Werner terminated me because of these accidents. I am wondering if there is any hope for me to get a job as a driver. I nearly bankrupted myself to change careers and go to trucking school and get a CDL. I am worried sick that all this may be for nothing.

I have no other convictions. As I said, in these accidents, the only one that happened out on the road was the mattress incident and getting stuck in the snow, but that was a quiet street and I was not blocking traffic. The backing happened on either Werner property or its customer's property. For the last 14 years, I've not had an accident in my passenger car, I have no DUI's, no misdemeanors, no felonies, I don't do drugs and never had any convictions and I've never been in jail.

So should I keep trying to get a driving job? Like I said before, I'm worried that I've basically worked so hard for nothing and I should look for different work. Unfortunately, the only jobs here in town are crap jobs, which is why I wanted my CDL in the first place.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:34 AM
Default Re: Is there life after termination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutTrucking
I am a very new driver. I completed training with Werner in December and got a job in January. I worked for six weeks before getting pneumonia. I took time off to get well, then found out my CDL had been disqualified, due to some information I forgot to turn into the state. I have that all taken care of and my CDL is up to date again.

However, the reason I'm writing is because I was terminated by Werner. I had a couple of minor backing accidents on Werner property or it's customer's property (I backed into a fence). The other accidents involved running into a mattress on a highway, and my trainer told me to do this because the SUV it fell off of was over on the side of the road, and I couldn't go left because of the traffic, the other was getting stuck in snow while trying to back up.

No one was killed or injured during these incidents. The trailer I backed into was slightly scratched. When I ran over the mattress, there wasn't any damage to the truck. When I got stuck in the snow, I had to be towed out, and the fence was slightly dented, but still upright. The support post for the barbed wire separated from the regular fence post.

Werner terminated me because of these accidents. I am wondering if there is any hope for me to get a job as a driver. I nearly bankrupted myself to change careers and go to trucking school and get a CDL. I am worried sick that all this may be for nothing.

I have no other convictions. As I said, in these accidents, the only one that happened out on the road was the mattress incident and getting stuck in the snow, but that was a quiet street and I was not blocking traffic. The backing happened on either Werner property or its customer's property. For the last 14 years, I've not had an accident in my passenger car, I have no DUI's, no misdemeanors, no felonies, I don't do drugs and never had any convictions and I've never been in jail.

So should I keep trying to get a driving job? Like I said before, I'm worried that I've basically worked so hard for nothing and I should look for different work. Unfortunately, the only jobs here in town are crap jobs, which is why I wanted my CDL in the first place.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.
You know that is a shame. One thing I really think is that some drivers get under pressure and try to rush backing up, which is one of the most challenging manuvers for newbies. As a new driver I think I would rather take an hour backing up than risk hitting a fence.

I don't really get why you took a hit on the mattress thing, did DOT come? Or did your trainer rat you out?

In any case, I would get a copy of your DAC and DMV records and see exactly what is says. I think your choices may be limited, but the career is ok for now. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member

The first part of your post has me concerned more than anything else---

you had your CDL -- suspended? revoked? disqualifed? because WHY? a omission of information?

I'd almost bet money that this is why Warner actually fired you-- if you omitted or lied on your application or had your CDL- disqualified--

as for running over anything that falls off another vehicle-- your trainer was an idiot---- why do you have that reported as an accident-- if-- there was not a single bit of damage to YOUR vehicle---- if anything why didn't you stop and get all the information on the OFFENDER-- inspect for damage and make a decision then as to where to go from there.

Getting stuck in snow-- isn't a accident either-- as long as there was no damage to equipment-- that is more like breakdown-- road service-- at the very most-- they are pissed you cost them MONEY-- or were insuffently competent enough to get out of that mess without costing them money.

the others are non-dot reportable property damage? all happened off the public roadway?

perhaps it the combination of all this-- that they deem you an accident waiting to happen.

Without knowing the actual particulars as to why your CDL "had been disqualifed" I couldn't say for sure if your totally S.O.L.-- but the other stuff is all minor enough-- it's just the SUM TOTAL which is troubling.

I would think that most companies would want you to definately go back with a trainer for more time......
Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Well...if you really want to drive the big rigs, you'll keep pursuing a driving career.

You may have to take a deep breath and accept a less-than-ideal OTR driving position initially, but stick with it for a year and the possibilities will open up.

Oh yeah...keep a sharp eye out for highway mattresses! :shock:

All the best!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 AM

I would look into USA truck and Trans AM. thouse are my guesses
Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 AM

Hi Everyone.

Thanks so much for responding.

Okay. For starters, the reason my CDL was disqualified in March was because I forgot to send a survey to the state of Indiana. Apparently once a year, I have to have my doctor fill out a survey saying that my CPAP machine (used because I have sleep apnea) is working and that I'm getting enough rest. With finishing up my training last year right before the holidays, I completely forgot that I needed to get that form filled out and turned in. I don't think the state sent me a form, either, so I had to contact them and they sent me the form, I had the doctor fill it out and fax it back, and my CDL was reinstated. I just basically forgot I had to have my doctor fill out the form. I took care of the issue and my CDL was reinstated.

As for running over the mattress, I said before, I couldn't pull off to the right or else I'd hit the SUV, which had already pulled off. Going to the left wouldn't work either, because of the traffic. My trainer was a wonderful woman, but pretty much went by the book on everything. Because Werner wouldn't hardwire an inverter without a prescription from my doctor, I had to spend the last four weeks of training not using my CPAP. There simply wasn't an inverter strong enough so I could use my machine. My first trainer had an illegal inverter, so I could use my machine, but my second trainer wasn't going to do that. I couldn't afford to get a CPAP machine that plugged into the truck, plus, I couldn't sit around at home to wait for it, even if I'd had the money. Anyway, she reported it as an accident; she had me take pictures and fill out an accident form and everything. Law enforcement showed up to talk to the SUV driver and us, but we didn't get a ticket, and our truck wasn't damaged. I am not positive that I "took a hit" on the mattress thing, but I'm guessing that it's on my record, since my trainer insisted on reporting it.

I agree getting stuck in snow doesn't seem like an accident. I took a wrong turn, but thought I could back up enough, make another left turn, and get back where I needed to be. If it hadn't been for the snow, I would have been able to do it. But I got stuck and called breakdown. Again, the truck wasn't damaged and there wasn't any property damage either. This happened on a residential street very late at night/early morning, and I wasn't blocking anyone, nor was I blocking an intersection.

The fence is probably the only non-DOT property damage, that and the mattress. The trailer I bumped the other day would be the only DOT prop damage, and as I said, it was scratched.

And the night I backed into the fence, I was extremely sick with what was diagnosed as pneumonia a little more than 24 hours later. I'd been working off and on, because I was new and didn't want to take a lot of sick time. I'm thinking I never should have gone into work that night, and considering that sleeping the previous Friday, Saturday and Sunday and not getting any better would have given me a clue.

Thanks again, everyone for responding and your suggestions. I sincerely hope someone will give me another chance, as I've nearly bankrupted myself getting schooling and extra tutoring to get my CDL. I did this to have a more interesting job and better pay. Now, I feel like i'm back to square one.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Senior Board Member

There is no solid answer for this question...You've had a few rough situations, but everybody does. Someone should give you another shot. And make sure YOU get a copy of your MVR so you arent RATTING YOURSELF out on things that dont even show up on your report.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

And when you do find something.....Take your time & get out and look!!

Adapt and overcome.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:18 PM

Just keep putting in applications.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 PM

Ironically enough, I DID get out and look on this last backing try...four times. Maybe I should have walked around the entire truck. Having someone stand there and rate my performance didn't help my nerves any, either. :cry:
Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 PM

Well first of all I'm sorry to hear you're going through a rought time. Second of all: YOU say your trainer was OK, I say she wasn't! Why on earth did she fill out an accident report if there was no damage?? I get you couldn't go either way on the interstate, so you run over the mattress. If there would've been damage she would have had to go to the people who had the mattress on their SUV and get police involved, so YOU are protected.

Now to the CPAP machine - if you need one according to your medical status and Werner knew about it, they would've had to make sure you can actually use it. You can't get good sleep without being on it and are therefore a danger on the road (according to DOT regs). I can understand you forgot to have the form signed; that'd be something that could happen to anyone.

Being stuck in the snow stinks; was there no one who could've pulled you out without calling breakdown? I know it already happened and you can't turn the situation around, but for future reference always try and have someone else (another trucker) help you if possible so the company won't know anything about it.
I don't know the exact situation you were in so I'm just saying what I'm thinking right now.

I think you just need to try and get a job elsewhere - just fill out applications, call recruiters and explain what happened, but be 100% honest on the applications or you are done. Even ask recruiters if any of these things will disqualify you from being able to drive for them.

Don't hurry backing in the future; it took me months before I could decently back up and it's not about speed! Don't let Billy Big Rigger fluster you; take your time and make sure you're good to go. Besides, I'm very good at backing now, but still have days it won't go so well as will happen to drivers who have 30 years experience.

BOL to ya! I hope you find a better company to drive for soon!!