User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey There CrazyTulip!!

Thanks for writing!

Well, I'm not sure exactly why my trainer filled out the accident report. When I hit the mattress, it stayed in the lane and hooked on to part of the underside of the truck (I think it was the landing gear) but as for actual damage, there wasn't any, or else my trainer would have reported that as well. I guess the fact that I HIT something was enough to file an accident report. The SUV driver did call law enforcement, and we did talk to the cops, but we didn't get a ticket or anything. It was basically like, "the people loading the mattress onto the SUV were at fault" so that was that.

And as for the CPAP machine, it was weird, because in January, I produced a prescription saying I needed one. Only then would Werner hard wire an inverter powerful enough so I could use my machine. THEN, they put me on an account where I was out and back every night, so I didn't even need the inverter.

Then, when I called the terminal and told them I needed another truck assigned to me with an inverter hard wired, the safety guy got very upset and said that was against Werner policy. When I explained that I had one installed in January, he was even more upset and put me on hold. He said in order to use a CPAP machine, it would have to be one that plugged directly into a cigarette lighter. I could get one eventually, but since I'm practically broke right now, it's not in the budget.

I'll keep applying for jobs. I'm disturbed though, by the fact that I filled out seven applications day before yesterday and only got a couple responses. Usually I'd have seven emails by now. I guess nothing is preventing me from calling them, which is probably what I should do. There's only so much room to explain yourself on an online application, which is why I'd rather talk to someone and fill out a paper application instead of going online.

Thanks again for writing!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member

After you put an online app in give them a couple of days and then call them. Some co dont look at them right away so i would a make sure they got the app . Request a copy of your dac report . takes a couple of weeks to get it .
Old 04-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Not trying to down you, but welcome to the club.
I only had one, reportable roll-over, and that has pretty much gotten me into the bad-graces of other companies.
So far, half of everyone tells me to keep plugging away and something will give.
The other half tell me that it's over and I should be an engineer or some other "people-person" occupation.
Right now, it's security as a fall-back position.
Moneys not that good, but it gets the bills taken care of.
Not to mention I don't have to deal with too many, other people, aside from truckers dropping, or picking up trailers.
I get along fine with these guys and most of them hope to see me back in the seat again.
If anything, just keep thinking about why you like driving, and how its high-points stack up against other career-options.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member

New drivers are not the problem its the trainers. To many trainers look at training a second log book to make more money. I just had a freind go to cr england and her trainer and her ran as a team right from the start. it was a fleece operator . :roll:
Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutTrucking
Hey There CrazyTulip!!

Thanks for writing!

Well, I'm not sure exactly why my trainer filled out the accident report. When I hit the mattress, it stayed in the lane and hooked on to part of the underside of the truck (I think it was the landing gear) but as for actual damage, there wasn't any, or else my trainer would have reported that as well. I guess the fact that I HIT something was enough to file an accident report. The SUV driver did call law enforcement, and we did talk to the cops, but we didn't get a ticket or anything. It was basically like, "the people loading the mattress onto the SUV were at fault" so that was that.

And as for the CPAP machine, it was weird, because in January, I produced a prescription saying I needed one. Only then would Werner hard wire an inverter powerful enough so I could use my machine. THEN, they put me on an account where I was out and back every night, so I didn't even need the inverter.

Then, when I called the terminal and told them I needed another truck assigned to me with an inverter hard wired, the safety guy got very upset and said that was against Werner policy. When I explained that I had one installed in January, he was even more upset and put me on hold. He said in order to use a CPAP machine, it would have to be one that plugged directly into a cigarette lighter. I could get one eventually, but since I'm practically broke right now, it's not in the budget.

I'll keep applying for jobs. I'm disturbed though, by the fact that I filled out seven applications day before yesterday and only got a couple responses. Usually I'd have seven emails by now. I guess nothing is preventing me from calling them, which is probably what I should do. There's only so much room to explain yourself on an online application, which is why I'd rather talk to someone and fill out a paper application instead of going online.

Thanks again for writing!
I told my husband about your situation and he said Crete used to put inverters in trucks for drivers who needed a CPAP if they had it on paper by their physician. Did you try them? I don't know if they still do but if I were you, I'd make a list of exactly what you described above, but make it a clear story so they won't have to ask too many questions - be honest though. After everything is explained to them, ask them if it is a problem for them or if you can put in an application. After that, if they tell you No, at least you won't have to waste all that extra energy in filling out all these applications and then have them toss it aside. So if I were you, I'd call whoever I was interested in, if they say yes we can probably work with it, then fill out app. BOL!!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Get a copy of your DAC and see what is on there - just to make sure you know what you are dealing with.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:07 AM

Thanks again for the responses, everyone.

I heard about the DAC--I was told almost two years ago that you couldn't see your DAC--that the companies could, but you couldn't.

I guess I will go ahead and get it--also my MVR. My current plan now, since I almost literally have no money, is to get a temp job ASAP (I've applied to probably 12 or more jobs/temp agencies since I was fired Tuesday, and then keep looking for a trucking job.

I was looking at trucking as a means to an end, basically a job that would pay decently so I could make some headway on bills, to get out of debt. Ironically, I've nearly bankrupted myself getting the training and re-taking the CDL skills/road test in order to pass. Maybe that should have been a red flag right there. The only thing that came easy to me was the classroom part, where I got 93 percent at both trucking schools.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments and support--I've applied to probably eight trucking jobs/companies, and Monday I guess I'll start calling to see what they have to say.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutTrucking
Anyway, thanks again for your comments and support--I've applied to probably eight trucking jobs/companies, and Monday I guess I'll start calling to see what they have to say.
Good things come to those that feverishly stab at it and stay on point.
We'll all eventually get back on the road if we really want to.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member

I would have to agree that your trainer was not great if she didn't call that mattress killing a nonpreventable and support you on that with the safety department. Running over what you can see and know you are going to hit is better that hitting another vehicle to either side. It shows presence of mind that you didn't swerve and create a bigger accident. That shouldn't count against you but you do need to get a copy of your DAC to see how that is reported. Since your application has been denied somewhere you are entitled to a copy.

Getting stuck in the snow is a preventable incident. So is backing into anything. That makes three preventable incidents if I have read this correctly and there are several companies that I have heard of that will terminate you for three preventable incidents in a certain period of time. I guess this is why most people don't report scratches or minor damage as long as nobody sees them. I am not advocating that, just commenting.

Do not give up hope. Somebody will give you a job. It may not be the job that you wanted, but it will be a job. You may also need to brush up on your interview skills as somebody who acts willing to learn and work hard may get a better chance at a job that someone who is arrogant and blames others for their mistakes. It is all in the phrasing when you talk about your accidents. If they are not on your dac I would not bring them up at all because everyone will damage equipment slightly during the course of the job. The important thing is that you have learned from your mistakes, and some people do not learn until they have made the mistake. I have made many mistakes that could have turned into a real problem but I was lucky and they were only near misses that gave me a valuable learning experience. The minute that you get confident in this job you will make a mistake that will humble you, no question about it. Good luck.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 04-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Board Regular

Crete/Shaffer does put big inverters on trucks where the driver uses a CPAP machine. At least one of my trainers had one.

BOL to the OP. I wish I still had the link, but there's a thread somewhere in the new drivers area that has a link to where you can get a copy of your DAC.