User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

"Fact is.... something like 97 percent of all companies are O/O's or Mom and Pops. I work for one! They wouldn't DARE treat their drivers like this!"

Please name a couple of dozen mom & pops that have plenty of business, pay 600 a wk to start & hire recent CDL school graduates.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp12
"Fact is.... something like 97 percent of all companies are O/O's or Mom and Pops. I work for one! They wouldn't DARE treat their drivers like this!"

Please name a couple of dozen mom & pops that have plenty of business, pay 600 a wk to start & hire recent CDL school graduates.
I've given you REAL info.... and now you want ME to do your research for you? :roll:

What do you call "plenty of business?" ..... You mean the mega carriers that should have ALL the business they NEED, yet can only give you 2000 miles or LESS a week?? I don't know about the others, but Werner pays 26 cents/mile solo AFTER lousy training pay! 2000 miles IF YOU CAN GET THEM times .26 equals $520 GROSS!!! I TAKE HOME more than that on a "short trip to Phoenix as a TEAM! (and DID from day ONE!) :roll:

And you know what??? I work for a Mom and Pop that pays LOUSY because they take people like me with a black mark on their record! Oh yeah, maybe that's why they take people right out of school! Either way.... I made good money from the GATE! Those companies are OUT THERE! Those of you who are looking for a company who'll take you "right out of school" have MORE advantage than ME..... yet you ONLY look at the Mega Carriers who'll "do you a favor!" Sheesh! Grow some balls! "Refine" your google search! Make some phone calls! \

But, if you expect ME to do it for you..... you might as well let me DRIVE YOUR TRUCK, too!! And get your paycheck! :roll:

No thanks.... I probably drive a newer truck, and definitely make more money! :lol:

Here's a 5 dollar tip for free.... google Trucking companines (your state) or trucking associations (your state) If they ask you, specify 50 trucks or less.... then start making phone calls!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Rookie

Can't you even come up with two or three examples?

And yes, I think it's safe to say we're ALL familiar with google.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Well I for one can say that what GH said is true. My first real driving job was with an O/O leased to USX. Dedicated route, team run ( 5200 miles ) 4 days out 3 home. Gross just over 1k/week. After co-driver quit I stayed on solo. I made a bit more buy I was out 7-8 days and home 2-3 depending on what I ask for. ( BTW this was 3 years ago and I was paid .34/cpm solo ).

I also need to mention that there was none of this 1099 BS either. They with-held all payroll taxes, I had company insurance ( not the best I have ever seen, but fair ), pre-pass and pre-pay, company credit card to pay any tolls not covered by pre-pay, scale costs, anything needed for the truck, and motel and food costs if I were to break down ( Not that I ever did in a brand new 2006 Volvo that I took the plastic off the seats myself ). Adn speaking of break-down..... the pay was $150.00/DAY as was 6 paid holidays wether I was driving or not. Let's not forget the $750.00 vacation pay ( one week after 1 year ).

Am I going to give out their name??? No! Not to anyone that I don't know. I have given it to two people over the last three years.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:49 AM
Board Regular

Quote:

i work for one. fresh outta school. never worked for any of the big van/reefer boys. never will.
sometimes i do wish i was just closing a van door instead of chaining and/or strapping though.
but i like my paycheck$
Old 05-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Rookie

Ridge Runner & All18wheels, thanks for the reply. How did you come across those jobs & what was your training like? Did you have your CDL already? Also, did you have any related experience?
Old 05-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Board Regular

I'll jump into GH's questions and stuff when... The toradol and morphine wear off.

I had been having some back pain for quite a while. It was getting unbearable. Left a shipper in KC, MO, and... I could barely drive. Seriously. If the pain were any worse, it would have been safer for myself and the residents of the city to just pull over on the side of 435 (or was it 635?), set out the triangles, and call an ambulance.

I made it back to Oak Grove, MO and pulled in. Tried to do a number of things, thinking back pain. After a few hours of the pain coming and going, I decided to get to a hospital. En route, I wasn't sure if it was a food allergy, food poisoning, my back pain, or... another kidney stone. Turns out it was the latter. The good folks gave me some good shit, and I felt fine. I have a prescription for more good stuff. Problem is, I can't drive for 24 hours after having 'good stuff'.

They are in process of getting someone over here to repower the load. I need to find a pharmacy. And now I'm gonna catch up on some sleep.

Oh, stone hasn't yet passed, so it's only a matter of time before I'm doubled over. If you find yourself at the Petro in Oak Grove, look for a Crete truck right across from the truck stop entrance (the door labelled Trucker Store. Opposite side of the building from the gasoline/car pumps). Of course, when I get repowered, the truck will probably be move, but I got a sweet, sweet parking place for those in excruciating pain.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Ouch... good luck with passing that stone. I have had a few pass myself. Drugs are our friend!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Ridge Runner & All18wheels, thanks for the reply. How did you come across those jobs & what was your training like? Did you have your CDL already? Also, did you have any related experience?
i knew someone who worked there. alot of our drivers get in that way.
i had my CDL already.

training was quick. i learn as i go.
they dertermined i was good enough to go out on my own after two weeks. although, i do convoy sometime with other drivers which helps alot. im not alone on some runs.
im a linehauler, so im semi-local. im never farther than 5-600 miles away from homebase

i did work for ABF for 3 months. 2 months on a forklift and 1 month in their Arkansas training school for post CDL driver training.
i think that helped me become a better driver and the reason why i was able to go solo after 2 weeks at my current company.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply all18wheels. I haven't found a situation like yours but I'm glad to see you like what you're doing. It sounds a lot better than some things I've read about!

I guess I stepped on gmh's thread here & in doing so missed his last post. I've been following along with interest though & hope you feel better soon. Any chance of ultrasound treatment for you? If they can crush the kidney stone you could be back in business soon. I'm sure you asked or your Dr mentioned it already. Anyway, good luck with it.