User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

There were several Crete (and a few Shaffer) drivers sitting around waiting for loads, so it's not as if there weren't power units available.

I would have sent Q-comm messages, but truck was in shop, and those guys can be... difficult if you head towards your truck while it sits in the shop gathering dust. And phone? Gimme a break. Easy as pie to 'forget' about a phone call that wasn't logged.

I got a message again last night asking why load hadn't delivered. I had to stop myself twice from getting snarky about the situation. I finally gave them an ETA and we got the delivery rescheduled. Problem is, I left myself zero slack time in it, and I'll be bumping against the 14 if they don't unload the truck soon. Fortunately I saw a truck stop that's in the same zip code. You can do the math from there
Old 05-01-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
There were several Crete (and a few Shaffer) drivers sitting around waiting for loads, so it's not as if there weren't power units available.

I would have sent Q-comm messages, but truck was in shop, and those guys can be... difficult if you head towards your truck while it sits in the shop gathering dust. And phone? Gimme a break. Easy as pie to 'forget' about a phone call that wasn't logged.

I got a message again last night asking why load hadn't delivered. I had to stop myself twice from getting snarky about the situation. I finally gave them an ETA and we got the delivery rescheduled. Problem is, I left myself zero slack time in it, and I'll be bumping against the 14 if they don't unload the truck soon. Fortunately I saw a truck stop that's in the same zip code. You can do the math from there
Forgive me for the newbie question, but can't you log time when you are being unloaded as off duty?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammo
Forgive me for the newbie question, but can't you log time when you are being unloaded as off duty?
You sure can, and I do. The problem wasn't my 11 hour clock, but rather the 14 hour clock. Of course, there are split sleeper things, but since safety here doesn't understand them, I don't bother to keep it in my mind how to use them. I'm sure it would have worked in this situation.

Regardless, I now have time to get more than a 10 hr break before hustling for another 1.5 days.

Down side: I forgot to notice that this was a multi-stop load. Upside: Missouri cigarette prices.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammo
You sure can, and I do. The problem wasn't my 11 hour clock, but rather the 14 hour clock. Of course, there are split sleeper things, but since safety here doesn't understand them, I don't bother to keep it in my mind how to use them. I'm sure it would have worked in this situation.

Regardless, I now have time to get more than a 10 hr break before hustling for another 1.5 days.

Down side: I forgot to notice that this was a multi-stop load. Upside: Missouri cigarette prices.
Yes, the split bunk time thing. But are you able to fall asleep at odd hours? Are you the napping type? I am, and I think that will help me in trucking.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Board Regular

I can nap, but it's merely a stopgap measure for me. Sometimes I drop right off. Other times, all I can do is toss and turn. When I do have a choice of loads, I try to factor in my sleep/breaks. Not because I'm some sissy who can't "tough it out", but because I'm just not as safe if I'm off my schedule.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
....See, this is proof-- if the on time schedule was that critical-- they'd let you drop it there-- and find someone else to cover it-- but 80% of the time Dispatch/operations simply pull those appointment times out of their REARS.
But at least they smile (over the phone) when they tell you your appointment time! :? :x :twisted:
Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Crete trucks AUTOMATIC OR STICK Mr. gmh!!!! ????? :shock: :lol: :twisted:
Old 05-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Board Regular

Stick shift. If there's an option on the Freightliners, we don't have 'em. Roll up windows and manual mirrors on the driver's side among other cost cutting moves.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
Stick shift. If there's an option on the Freightliners, we don't have 'em. Roll up windows and manual mirrors on the driver's side among other cost cutting moves.
now George, there are a very few options provided-- engine brake, trailer brake, tilt/tele steering, arm rests, air ride Jump seat, and an extra top bunk

oh and a FAN! ( 70's retro era ) at least they provided an electric passenger window
Old 05-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Board Icon

All I can say is.... WOW!! I thought Crete was one of the good guys! This is really depressing! I can only imagine the chit MOST newbies go through with the likes of Swift, Werner, etc! :roll:

MORE reasons why EVERY new driver should sign on with a TEAM outfit for at least the first 6 months to a year! Let someone with more experience deal with these BOZO's!!! :lol:

As a more "experienced" driver, I ALSO appreciate this thread, GMH! I have considered switching to SOLO with one of the better companies, but I just don't know how long I would last before going POSTAL on 'em! :lol:

And they WONDER why they have a 120% turnover rate! :roll:

Fact is.... something like 97 percent of all companies are O/O's or Mom and Pops. I work for one! They wouldn't DARE treat their drivers like this! And the 3% of companies that are Mega's actually only have about 22% of the trucks on the road! Yet, because they have 100% of the advertising budget, they attract (guessing) 95% of the new drivers! :shock:

I came to this board BEFORE I got into trucking, and learned some valuable lessons. Maybe, we aren't getting the message out! Getting your CDL makes you a valuable commodity! There are MANY jobs out there that will treat you that way.

Mega recruiters are LIARS! School placement flunkies are ON THE TAKE! Mega carriers treat you like a number they can't even REMEMBER.... and the numbers don't add up!

MILLIONS spent on advertising means they are trying to dress up a MULE as a STALLION! Do your OWN research, find a company that will take a chance on a graduate, and then PROVE you are worth the risk! This is about YOU!! NOT the millions of fools who want to become truckers and will take the "packaged deal!" You are HERE.... on this board.... because you are smarter than the average bear! This is NO time to get "lazy!"

On a lighter note...... how are things coming along for your son's ride-along this year, George? I am really looking forward to THAT thread! After that, I expect you'll either grow OUT of Crete, or you will have learned how to "handle" them! And for Christ's Sake...... don't HIT anything/anyone in the meantime!!! :lol:

I'm not BRAGGING, folks..... but, I made about $600/wk during training, get things FIXED when they need fixing, get loads when I need them without a bunch of QC messages, get home every week, and know everyone in the company by name! I can also take someone with me whenever I choose by filling out a one page form. I can outfit my truck anyway I want, and go as fast as it will go! I am never forced to drive illegal, but can "adjust" my logs anyway that my understanding of the regs will allow me to do! I don't know what a "T-Call" is.... NOR do I know the code for a "service failure." I get my loads there on time because they ASK me if I can do it, and if not.... they adjust the delivery time! I don't have to EXPLAIN a DAMN thing to my dispatcher!

I'm a truck driver! And I provide a valuable service to my company. Many Trucking companies NEED drivers! SOME of them know what the "OBJECT" is! If you let too many politicians and administrators into the mix, you get a trucking company run like the war in Iraq! :roll:

I don't have anything against Y'all investigating the big companies..... just don't stop THERE!! Do yourself a favor and see what "middle American" companies are looking for!

I know ALOT of people who make just as much or MORE flipping burgers for "Stoney's Burger Shack" than they would at McDonald's!!! Many have just as good "benies," and ALL of them are happier!!

Have I made myself clear?? Or do I need to rant on for six more paragraphs?? :roll: :lol:

Now, back to our regularly scheduled, OFTEN duplicated, and always informative "diary" of a trucker trying to hold on to his dream with a MEGA company! But, let's not FOR ONE MOMENT, think that this is the BEST, or the ONLY thing a new trucker can aspire to!

Rant off!! Hobo is out! :lol: 8)

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.