Old 04-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
While there are 12 volt microwaves available they all have to be wired directly to the battery. They can't be plugged in to the standard 12 volt lighter socket.

The main problem with using a microwave is the amount of power required to get an acceptable short heating time. Most microwaves needs around 700 watts which requires a directly wired power source.
So does that mean that most of the inverters aren't going to be able to handle a microwave? Sorry for the newbie questions, don't have much experience on the typical driver convenience items available on the trucks.
You ask: "So does that mean that most of the inverters aren't going to be able to handle a microwave?" NO. Like I said most microwaves require around 700 watts. The larger inverters (1000 - 2000 Watt) can handle this requirement. But they have to be installed correctly. i.e. proper wire size and fuses.

Past posting have discussed how to properly connect an inverter. I would recommend a search on "inverter." We have had several discussions on this subject.

kc0iv
Old 04-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Board Regular

And at Crete, we aren't allowed to have inverters directly wired to the batteries, IIRC, only plugin types. Fortunately, most truck stops seem to have microwaves.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member

great start George!

see I knew You'd be an instant success with a thread...

suggestion:

get yourself a cheap convex mirror( send the recipt in to AMS) if your passenger one is cracked--- duct tape a temp there in place-- mirrors are very important to keep that CDL/ MVR shinny and clean.

question:

The Crete pay scale might be important to newbies reading your thread-- it may start at .34 but doesn't it very quickly(within 1 year) bounce up to .41 or so? That's much better than Pumpkin--- and Pumpkin's Medical qualifications are much stricter than Crete's

Happy Trails...
Old 04-25-2008, 01:38 AM
Board Regular

Smart thinking about the convex. I'll try to remember to grab one at Wally World when I go there tomorrow.

Yes, I start at 34. After twelve months (with no more than a certain number of safety points) I'm up to 41. It's staggered. I think there is a raise at 3, 6, and 12 months.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
Smart thinking about the convex. I'll try to remember to grab one at Wally World when I go there tomorrow.

Yes, I start at 34. After twelve months (with no more than a certain number of safety points) I'm up to 41. It's staggered. I think there is a raise at 3, 6, and 12 months.
they sell 'em at truck stops too you know.... and keep track of your Driver Payback Points( Pilot's add up quick- since we fuel there most) you can really reduce your meal expenses & get little tools with 'em.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Board Regular

I know I can get 'em at a truck stop, but I have no intention of going anywhere near one during my hometime

I tried using some Pilot points last week, but they make you wait until you have 500 before you can redeem any, the bastards. I think I had 400 and something at the time.

How does the point spending work exactly?
Old 04-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
I know I can get 'em at a truck stop, but I have no intention of going anywhere near one during my hometime

I tried using some Pilot points last week, but they make you wait until you have 500 before you can redeem any, the bastards. I think I had 400 and something at the time.

How does the point spending work exactly?

oh, i didn't realize you were home...yeah, wal-mart-- or if you're mechanically inclined-- you could switch your driver side over to the passenger( needed more urgently- on that side)

now you got to figure out which Crete Shop you want to "run" by 2 to get that repaired-- taking into account YOUR DOWNTIME-- and knowing you'll be shut down "red flagged' at which ever one you report into---with it.
Need to pick one that will get you in and out quick-- not send you to a motel and make you wait 3 days until they get to you-
but by now, you've probably made a list of things wrong with that truck that need TLC attention. Crete/Shaffer had me "finishing off" 2 high mileage trucks before my 1 year anniversary-- I won't drive junk- and both of them- after only a week- I had found a full page of complaints.

Indy seems real good/fast about getting to you.
Columbus-- well- at least they work on weekends
Lincoln- does a hell of a job all the way around
Knoxville- seems ok/ fast
Wilmer- can't pour whiz out of a boot-with instructions on the heal
NK- well, if you can get in....

don't forget to give the shop your accident claim #- that safety gave you when you made the report....
Old 04-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Board Regular

So here I sit, waiting for a load. I think I put in my home call about two weeks ago. I've been at home since Thursday. I'd think there would be a load. At the very least, can you tell me there's nothing so I can sleep in a real bed for another night?

The upside is that I got home for the first time in almost two months. I got one MUCH needed thing done. I got a few lesser things done. Enough to go on the road for another month or two. I got to see my kid for the first time in four months (damned ex-wife, damned training) and we got the truck pretty well outfitted. He picked out sheets for his bunk (Wall-E, a new Pixar movie) and I got Speed Racer for mine to go with the Speed Racer bobblehead. Kinda funny considering I don't think I've broken the speed limit more than once or twice in the past six years (seriously).

Damned leak got my logbook wet. I hope it'll dry out (yes, I have a spare. Maybe even two spares. Important to have extras of all your paperwork).

My eye and Rx cards arrived, but not my health insurance. Darn.

I hope dispatch looked at the Qualcomm I sent them with my cell number. As lousy as waiting for freight is, it would be even worse waiting in the truck.

Ooh, nasty thunderstorm. Hope the place I left the trailer is okay (I put it on 2x4's to spread out the weight, and it looked okay a couple of hours ago when I drove by.)
Old 04-30-2008, 02:24 AM
Board Regular

So hometime was okay. Had to extend it a few hours to get some things done, but I was still ready to roll 12 hours sooner than my original request stated. And of course, no freight available. I wasn't wholly surprised, given where I live, but they did have quite some time to arrange it. I told dispatch that I'd happily sit home another day. They unfortunately managed to find a load. I should have turned it down.

First problem is that the customer directions included a toll road, yet none was on my route. Qualcomm messages met with dispatch idiocy. The message clearly explained the situation and asked for either better directions or to allow the toll. I got neither. Fortunately, I was able to find the shipper. Unfortunately, it took me a bit of time.

Got up this AM and found a bored inspector at the weigh station in Deleware who decided I needed a level one. They found a missing clevis pin on a slack adjuster. The delay for the stop screwed up this ultra-tight load, so I figured I'd bug someone about getting it fixed, even though it meant a stop at New Kingston. Getting this through dispatch's head took an unneeded hour (okay, breakdown was involved also). So I rolled in, hoping to get the following fixed: driver side fender mirror folds back in wind, passenger side mirror from the love tap last week in the truck stop, my air bags don't seem to rise quite high enough, missing mudflap, dented bumper (from previous driver. Deemed before to be relatively minor and not to be worried about for now) the slack adjuster, and probably one or two things that are on my list that I don't have in front of me.

Walked up to the counter and the foreman had to finish up some petty water cooler talk with one of the mechanics. I'm actually okay with that if it weren't that the first words out of his mouth were 'only DOT repairs'. Well, shit, excuse me for needing some work done. So I only listed the mirror and the slack adjuster. "Go park over there" with a general wave. So I park, get my laptop, and head into the lounge.

I realize I left my cell in the truck and go to retrieve it about 15 mins. later. Someone in a yard mule is honking like hell. Seems I parked in the wrong 'over there'. Sorry, there's no freaking sign. I move the truck.

Seven hours later, the mechanic (on the next shift) asks 'What's wrong with the brakes?' Turns out I was supposed to give them the DOT report. Umm... How should I know? I mentioned the circumstances to the foreman from the day shift, and he never mentioned that he needed this paperwork. Nor was anything remotely like this covered in orientation (three wasted days it seems, more and more). So I get him the paper.

Hour later, mechanic comes back. 'Have you reported this bumper?' I try to explain that someone from SLC is taking care of it and has the information. He lets me know that he's just trying to keep me from being charged. Mechanic actually seems okay. Dayshift and the foreman...

Now remember that this bumper issue has twice been glossed over. Earlier, I was told "only DOT repairs". Now someone has seen fit to override those earlier statements.

Seriously, drivers get all kinds of talks and memos and messages about 'communications' and 'utilization of time', yet nobody else in the company seems to get these things.

Obviously, the load is going to be late. Not my fault. I 99% guarantee no breakdown pay. I knew I should have turned down this load (not an option. I'm not versed enough in the system to know how to turn down a load without getting negative marks).

Meanwhile, I've been up for a helluva long time. Dispatch will likely look at my little holiday in NK as a 10 hour break, and wonder why I'm not driving to try to get the load in on time. Sorry, but sitting on a sofa with random naps is not a break.

Note to Acklie Systems Drivers: avoid NK at all costs. Shop personnel are jerks (I've seen it more than once, FWIW) the lounge is a little small, and Verizon barely gets a connection here.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Board Member

I think if had been me-- I'd been sending q-comm messages & hourly phone calls to dispatch-- keeping them informed with a annoying negative play by play-- frequently puctuated with the written notice that You can't deliver on-time, truck is out-of-service, can we T-call here? But the result would probably just been a re-schedule pushed TOO FAR out-- thus-- reducing your productivity even more. Best thing to do is just wait for them to get your truck out of the shop and give them a good ETA to Consignee to work with.

See, this is proof-- if the on time schedule was that critical-- they'd let you drop it there-- and find someone else to cover it-- but 80% of the time Dispatch/operations simply pull those appointment times out of their REARS.