User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Join Army or drive a truck?

Well I always get the most help from this website and I have a problem, I have decided to either join the Army, dont know if ill go active or reserves, or go drive a truck get some experience and see where it takes me. A little background, I'm 30 years old married with two kids I have always wanted to join but never did and the same with driving a truck and I have been tossing this Army idea around for almost 2 years now and I know it would be a good future but I dont know if I would stay in for 20 or not. What do you guys think?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Board Regular

Join the Army, better pay and benefits.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 AM

If you want to risk your life at work everyday and spend endless nights away from home then join the army....at least you get to blow things up.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:08 AM

If you want to risk your life at work everyday and spend endless nights away from home then go OTR....but you won't get to blow things up. :lol:
Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

well atleast with trucking if you find you don't like it after 6 months and want to quit you're free to do so . :wink: ... And lets face it the reality of it is driving a truck is no where near the danger of being shipped over seas and having a bullys eye on your head every day .
Old 03-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Board Regular

Remember...if you drive a truck for 10 years and decide you should have joined the army...you'll be too old by then...

If you join the army....well....you're almost never too old to drive a truck!

I was in the army for 4 years...it often sucked, but the pay and benefits were great, and I most definitely learned more about life during those four years than I had in the previous 20! I spent time in Afghanistan, but not Iraq...and I wouldn't trade any of it for anything!

It was a great experience for me...but like everything else in this world...it is what you make of it!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Board Regular

See that was the other thing is being stuck into something that I dont know untill I'm in and that worries me, like you said if I didnt like driving a truck just quit and go on to something else.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:17 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Driving truck is one thing, any monkey can be trained to drive a truck. and yes if you dont like it, you can quit.

as for the army, thats not something you should be asking advice on in a public forum, your married, with children, thats something you should be asking and talking over with your wife. as it directly affects your family. it only fair to say, yeah trucking and employment should be a family descision as well.

but the way things are right now, joining the service is a life/death gamble. me personally, i wont sacrifice myself for oil. i wont have a target on my back just because i am american. i wont let some whop take me out because of their messed up ideals. I want to go out for better reasons than that. especially if i have a wife and kids at home.

these are personal choices you have to make at this stage, there is not one trucker here going to be able to offer you great advice, because this s something you really need to take up with your wife and kids.

Trucking you get to come home every couple weeks. Iraq, Its safe to say, you just might never come home again.

just my two cents. i was married, took 17 years but i learned alot about not thinking about only myself.

also, if you really think you have to blow something up... go out on the farm and blow up a beaver damn. if you dont have one, let me know, we got a couple around here i will gladly let you have a hand at. maybe that will get it out of your system.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:16 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokk
Driving truck is one thing, any monkey can be trained to drive a truck. and yes if you dont like it, you can quit.

as for the army, thats not something you should be asking advice on in a public forum, your married, with children, thats something you should be asking and talking over with your wife. as it directly affects your family. it only fair to say, yeah trucking and employment should be a family descision as well.

but the way things are right now, joining the service is a life/death gamble. me personally, i wont sacrifice myself for oil. i wont have a target on my back just because i am american. i wont let some whop take me out because of their messed up ideals. I want to go out for better reasons than that. especially if i have a wife and kids at home.

these are personal choices you have to make at this stage, there is not one trucker here going to be able to offer you great advice, because this s something you really need to take up with your wife and kids.

Trucking you get to come home every couple weeks. Iraq, Its safe to say, you just might never come home again.

just my two cents. i was married, took 17 years but i learned alot about not thinking about only myself.

also, if you really think you have to blow something up... go out on the farm and blow up a beaver damn. if you dont have one, let me know, we got a couple around here i will gladly let you have a hand at. maybe that will get it out of your system.
yeah, ^^^what he said :wink:
Old 03-28-2008, 02:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by century451
Join the Army, better pay and benefits.
Active duty soldiers don't get paid squat.

Sbatson, it sounds like you have a hard time making decisions. Join the Army? At age 30 with 2 kids? That is something you do out of high school to learn a skill and return to the private sector after you have fulfilled your service obligations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokk
me personally, i wont sacrifice myself for oil. i wont have a target on my back just because i am american. i wont let some whop take me out because of their messed up ideals.
I find this comment offensive, especially to those who have lost loved ones who are over there defending our freedom and way of life.