User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Not everyone gets those bonuses. First, you have to qualify for it, and then, there may be additional restrictions tacked on (for example, you may have to enlist for particular duty stations, certain occupations, etc).
You really need to expand your horizons. If you go in as 88M, it won't get you a CDL, although it might get you some experience driving semi-articulated vehicles, but even that isn't guaranteed in any way. You may be assigned to a unit which operates nothing larger than a 5-ton straight truck, which really won't be of much use to you, should you decide to get out and pursue a career in driving commercial vehicles. I took driving school here at Johnston Community College, and we had a number of people who had been 88M in the Army, or an equivalent in another branch of service, and they really didn't have any advantage over anyone else in the class, because had only operated 5 tons or MTVRs during their time in.
I did get a check from the government for $900, through the GI Bill, but I had also put $1200 into the GI Bill, so take that for what it's worth.
Take some time and seriously consider what occupations really leave you with something worthwhile if you should decide not to reenlist. Working in communications or being a welder (just some examples) may seem boring, but you'll have something which can be applied to the civilian sector. Sure, it may seem more adventurous to go into the infantry, but, once you get out, you're back to square one, as you don't gain any job skills applicable in the civil sector with such an occupation.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Board Regular

My kid brother just got back from his deployment in Iraq. I haven't been able to get ahold of him yet but I'm still trying.

My brother made the choice to serve and anyone who does has my respect. But, it is not a decision to be made lightly. My brother was 22 and recently divorced with no kids when he went reserve. He knew the risks because he did his due diligence like his father and I taught him. He knew even if he had kids that there would be people to take care of them, and if needed to tend to him if he was wounded.

He got his signing bonus but he is a Combat Engineer who was sent to take care of IED's so he got some hazard pay in addition to his combat zone and active pay.

While some may argue why our bothers, sisters, sons, daughters, or grandkids are over there I know only that they are there, and to me that is sufficient to lend them my support.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Board Regular

I would'nt join the Army or the Marines during a time of war. I would however join the Air Force or the Navy. You have a family to think about, Air Forrce life will be much safer for you. Also make sure that you get training in something like computers or medicine. That way you can find a decent job when you get out. There are not a whole lot of jobs out here grunts except law enforcement.