User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 04:02 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default first time experience

well, to those who have read my previous post, you know i worked for ABF for a few months. i only ended up working on the dock for a bit, but due to slow freight and no hours, i had to go.

i got a job through a family member at a small family owned company( 40 trucks). they haul mostly flat bed.

i trained for two weeks. i hauled some military stuff, some construction stuff and a couple oversize loads.

just when i thought my 2nd week was done, the said that i was ready to drive alone. i followed my trainer with a miliytary truck from Southern Cal to Virginia. then they had me break off from the trainer and i was left on the Est coast all alone :shock: .
I was nervous as HELL. i picked up a military trailer from Virginia to Maryland. it turned out to be oversized. i call dispatch and the got me the proper permits. i could only run daylight on certain highways and some highways had hour restrictions.i managed to get that done ok. chaining, and hanging over size lights and signs by the skin of my a$$

After that, they had to find me a backload back to California. i went to Delaware to pick up another military load. but the base didnt like the double drop trailer i had and wouldnt load it. so i wasted that day.

the next dayt i went back to Virgina to load up a crate from another base. then, off to the international port of virgina for a couple of crates for another customer.

then, i was off to springfield, MO to pick up one more piece of machinery. all of this was going to California (where i live).
all of this stuff needed to get tarped. ive never tarped before, so i got a self tought lesson in tarping.

across the US westbound i go.
the first thing i tarped gave me trouble. the tarp came loose and started tearing badly. i had to fix it a couple of times. the other stuff was ok and only needed the occasional tightening.

i finally made it to my first drop. Anaheim, CA. i tell you, traffic there starts EARLY!!!!!. i got there ok and there went two crates in one shot.

then, off to Sacramento.
i arrive at 6:00 AM sharp. (right when i said i'd be). they didnt expect such a large piece of machinery, so i wait til 9:00 am until they can get a bigger lift there to offload it. (thats o.k. we charged detention for that one)

3rd drop. went to Tracy, CA. no problems.

i finally make it backl to the yard. ive been gone over two weeks on this coast to coast adventure.
turns out, my truck had some problems on the trip. that didnt keep me from running, but it did need attention, so they told me to clean my stuff out so they can take it in to be fixed.

i thought i would get the rest of the week off, because technically, id been gone 3 1/2 weeks.
they told me they had alot of work for thursday and friday, so i could be off wednesday, but plan on using the loaner truck to run thursday and friday.........welcome to trucking.

this was my frist 4 weeks of driving a truck professionally for the first time.

luckily, the company, i was fortunate to sneak into pays ridiculously well. so, i dont mind.

my advise to those who are new: dont be scared, get into a good company that pays well ASAP.
be prepared to work hard. this industry isnt for the weak at heart

See you out there, Mike :wink:
Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Good attitued Mike ! I have been doing this nearly 40 years and I learn something new everytime I go to load something. No two loads are the same, unlike the wheel holders who drive vans that never learn something new.
Stick with the open trailers, and every axle you can ad is more $$'s in ya pocket
Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 AM
Senior Board Member

wow .............god bless.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 03-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Then when you get under a three of four axle talk your boss into a % of the load (line haul) It will look slim for a little bit but would you rather haul a load 1000 miles for 38 cents per mile or 1000 miles for 25 or 28% of a 8,000 line haul ? Do the math.
I'm an O/O so get a lot bigger %, depends on the load or the deal I can work, but I won't move my truck unless it makes a minimum of $20 a mile, all miles. At the minute I am on a haul from Houston up into Pa., pays $41,000 (yes you read that right) and after paying all permits , pilot cars etc.) I will only have to make this one move this month, if I fell like it, just head home to Fl. and kick back till it get's to hot. Nahhhh can't do that, gota go find the next one
Old 03-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Man, I hope it works out for you. But, seriously, that is some sh!tty ass training. You're hauling oversized loads cross country for your first truck driving job? And with only two weeks of training? :shock: It sounds cool and all, but this company seriously hung your ass out into the wind. That kind of training makes CR England look good. I would have walked, new driver or not. Most new drivers can barely handle a dry van. Most new drivers need extensive OTR training. Two weeks hauling oversized loads?!!! :roll: Be safe out there.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
Then when you get under a three of four axle talk your boss into a % of the load (line haul) It will look slim for a little bit but would you rather haul a load 1000 miles for 38 cents per mile or 1000 miles for 25 or 28% of a 8,000 line haul ? Do the math.
I'm an O/O so get a lot bigger %, depends on the load or the deal I can work, but I won't move my truck unless it makes a minimum of $20 a mile, all miles. At the minute I am on a haul from Houston up into Pa., pays $41,000 (yes you read that right) and after paying all permits , pilot cars etc.) I will only have to make this one move this month, if I fell like it, just head home to Fl. and kick back till it get's to hot. Nahhhh can't do that, gota go find the next one
where and or how does one get on that road....???? :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :?:

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 03-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Work up to it GTR. I started, way back when with a ratty 2 axle flat, and worked up to companies or shippers trusting me to do the job. Couple or three times I said "I will front the cost, if I am late your good deal. Now I take my 13 axle home and only answer if I recognise the number or I am bored and wana go to work.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Man, I hope it works out for you. But, seriously, that is some sh!tty ass training. You're hauling oversized loads cross country for your first truck driving job? And with only two weeks of training? :shock: It sounds cool and all, but this company seriously hung your ass out into the wind. That kind of training makes CR England look good. I would have walked, new driver or not. Most new drivers can barely handle a dry van. Most new drivers need extensive OTR training. Two weeks hauling oversized loads?!!! :roll: Be safe out there.
the over size load didnt go across country.
and really, with the pay i got on that trip total for 2 weeks, the pay i got would blow any van job outta the water.
i am excited to have this job. trust me, ive done well for a newbie
i handled it.

walked!?!!?. id be an idiot.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Example from the board I use, and this is cheap (wouldn't look at it but it will come up when he can't move it)

>Revenue $28,950.00 Rate/Miles $14.48
>Rate Code F CSA N
>Pickup Date 03/13/08 08:00 Delivery Date 03/18/08 08:00
>Origin HOUSTON, TX Destination MARTINEZ, CA
>Trailer Group LOWB Trailer Type LO9E
Old 03-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
Example from the board I use, and this is cheap (wouldn't look at it but it will come up when he can't move it)

>Revenue $28,950.00 Rate/Miles $14.48
>Rate Code F CSA N
>Pickup Date 03/13/08 08:00 Delivery Date 03/18/08 08:00
>Origin HOUSTON, TX Destination MARTINEZ, CA
>Trailer Group LOWB Trailer Type LO9E
thats what im talking about.
when im in the truck stops, i see hundreds of vans come in and out. dima a dozen
Flatbed is where its at.