User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Injury on the job

A box fell out of the truck onto my left shoulder about 2 months ago while I was checking out at the gate, to go on my run. It left a nice bruise for a week or so, but didn't seem like anything was broken, so I didn't report it.

Of course, NOW, it is getting sore, and hurts when I move my arm into certain positions. The pain didn't start until about 2 weeks after it got hit.

Someone told me I should report it as an on the job injury since then I won't have to pay any deductible or copay if and when I go to the doctor for it.

But I'm paranoid to report it and even to go to the doc about it since then it will be on my record that I was "injured on the job".

When I applied for truck driving jobs, a lot of the applications asked if you ever had been injured on the job, had ever collected workmen's comp.

Hence my paranoia. Applying for future driving jobs, I'd have this injury on my record, and some companies might refuse to hire me !!!!

What would you guys do? The shoulder is usable. I've neen exercising it, but the exercise just makes it more sore !! Fortunately the way it is now, it doesn't affect my job at all. I do drop and hook, no loading/unloading. Maybe if I just leave it alone, it'll get better !
Old 03-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Night Zombie wrote:
Quote:
A box fell out of the truck onto my left shoulder about 2 months ago while I was checking out at the gate, to go on my run.
When something like this happens, it doesn't matter who you are, report it..before picking up what may have fallen.

Quote:
Someone told me I should report it as an on the job injury since then I won't have to pay any deductible or copay if and when I go to the doctor for it.
You didn't report the box falling from the load, when you opened the door. Report the problem now as an on the job injury, and your claim can be denied, and you could get fired, for trying to manipulate workmens comp.

See a Doc. Get it fixed....decide which way you want to go. Me...at 2 months since the original occurence..I'd pay the co-pay, and get it fixed.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Injury On the Job

Your mistake was not reporting the incident when it happened. Report it now. Your paranoia was ill-placed, there's no reason you should have to take one for the company. I'm guessing somewhere in your employee's handbook it says to report injuries when they happen no matter how insignificant at the time. BOL
Old 03-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Go to the doctor get it fixed.

Would you rather keep it quiet, not get it fixed and possibly have long term damage to your shoulder? Not to mention the possibility of neuroligical damage.

I don't know about the physical's that you've gone through for the CDL, but the one's I've gone through include your ability to move your joints freely and without undue stress.

Most of the companies I've ever worked for have the phrase in their handbook that says to report all injuries no matter how insignificant.

My best advice, again, go see a doctor and get it fixed.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:00 AM
Senior Board Member

You should go ahead and report it, though be prepared for the chance of any claims for insurance or worker's comp to be delayed or denied because you waited so long.

Any time you are injured or involved in any kind of incident on the job you need to report it immediately. This protects you, and in many cases your employer later on.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Rookie

You MUST report injuries to your company no matter how small. That is in most of their rules. I know how most companies get nervous about injuries on the job, but it would be better in the long run in case you have long lasting pain or complications in the future.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Board Regular
Default injury on the job

It's unfortunate that U did'nt seek counsel or advice from someone right away. As U well know now that the complications from sustained injuires can show up quite a while later. I sympathize with U due to the lenght of time out from the incident. As if U bring it Up now Ur employer may look at this in a very negative light. you could experience pain Up to 6 month's depending on your age and exactly how & were U were hit by the box & weight of it. I would be examined if I were U.(NOT IN AN ER) but by an Orthopaedic Doctor U may have a soft tissue injury or need P/T. I hope this all works out we'll for U. 8) :idea:
Old 03-11-2008, 03:03 AM
Board Regular

Easy fix. Just go out to the truck and pull another box on your shoulder . then report it right away. :wink:
Old 03-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Keep your mouth shut and use your medical insurance to cover this. It's been 2 months and I highly doubt that workers comp is going to approve your claim. If they deny your claim, then your health insurance won't pay because they will say workers comp is responsible. Now you'll be stuck with an injury that no one is willing to pay.

You also run the risk of getting fired. I can guarantee you that it is a company policy to report an injury ASAP. You didn't and unwittingly violated a policy.

I've seen this happen before. Just make up some stupid excuse to your doctor on how you were lifting something at home and it fell on you.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:16 AM
Board Regular

More than likely, you are going to have to use your own money to get it fixed.

I had something like this happen except i was delivering pipe on a Friday afternoon, and must have tweeked my lower back. I didn't say anything because i though i was just sore and by saturday morning i was in the worst pain of my life. Went to work Monday morning and tried told them what happened and they told me they were not going to cover anything because they said i must have injured myself at home and was just trying to get workman's comp to pay for it. I told them that i couldn't even move most of the weekend and that it took me couple of hours just to roll out of bed saturday morning to get some Advil, i didn't even leave my apartment that weekend, i was pissed. I busted my butt for them and when things went bad they screwed me. Needless to say, i didn't work for them much after that.

Basically seems like if you don't report it right away, you are probably screwed.