User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
Then when you get under a three of four axle talk your boss into a % of the load (line haul) It will look slim for a little bit but would you rather haul a load 1000 miles for 38 cents per mile or 1000 miles for 25 or 28% of a 8,000 line haul ? Do the math.
I'm an O/O so get a lot bigger %, depends on the load or the deal I can work, but I won't move my truck unless it makes a minimum of $20 a mile, all miles. At the minute I am on a haul from Houston up into Pa., pays $41,000 (yes you read that right) and after paying all permits , pilot cars etc.) I will only have to make this one move this month, if I fell like it, just head home to Fl. and kick back till it get's to hot. Nahhhh can't do that, gota go find the next one
thats what im saying. 8)
Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by all18wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Man, I hope it works out for you. But, seriously, that is some sh!tty ass training. You're hauling oversized loads cross country for your first truck driving job? And with only two weeks of training? :shock: It sounds cool and all, but this company seriously hung your ass out into the wind. That kind of training makes CR England look good. I would have walked, new driver or not. Most new drivers can barely handle a dry van. Most new drivers need extensive OTR training. Two weeks hauling oversized loads?!!! :roll: Be safe out there.
the over size load didnt go across country.
and really, with the pay i got on that trip total for 2 weeks, the pay i got would blow any van job outta the water.
i am excited to have this job. trust me, ive done well for a newbie
i handled it.

walked!?!!?. id be an idiot.
I'm not doubting your pay. But your "training" is a joke. Standard is anywhere from 4-8 weeks. I don't think two weeks is enough time to truely grasp the job and grasp the handling of a truck under load. Now, if you had an at fault accident, you and anyone else in your shoes, would be in here crying about how you weren't trained properly.

Like I said, I hope it all works out. But when you yourself said you did not know how to tarp a load, that is indicative of the poor training you received. People can crack on Maverick or TMC, but at least they put forth some effort to train you to not only drive a truck but to also learn and master the duties of securing loads.