Board Bitch
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
WildKat said:

Quote:
I have spent nearly 30 years proving that I could DO this job, I love what I do, but I deeply resent someone telling me what "many" women want! Because to "many" in this industry many means ALL!
So.... does that mean that ALL people in this industry think that many means all??? I'm so confused!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
Now, hobo I KNOW that you are merely trying to see if you can get me riled! :lol: :lol:

I'm fairly sure you know what I meant by that comment, but I will TRY to explain what I mean... sheesh!
No, many does not mean ALL, but unfortunately when *some* people, whether they mean to or not, make "blanket" type statements for "other" people, it can & does offend the ones who do NOT feel that way.

I deeply resent being "lumped" with anyone. I am my own person.

kc0iv:

Please don't take this the wrong way... I am going to come across, for the moment, as am man hating feminist, but truly I am not!

I resent a "man" telling anyone what a "woman" wants, because for one you truly do NOT know for sure.... you, I think, are a man, not a woman. Sorry, but there is no way you can know for sure what we want! Sure, you can ask, BUT, just as I, as a rule haven't a clue what most men want, I can make an informed opinion, but just when I think I've got it figured out something or someone will come along that blows my theory out of the water!

I also resent that "some" women think that they should have special treatment & have special consideration just because they are women! I think I hate that more thatn anything!

All I ask is that you treat me with respect & understand there are some things that I simply CANNOT do because of my lessor strength & size. But, respect of my abilities & strengths that I do have is important & do not think less of me because I can't always lift the big boxes or tighten straps as well as a man.

I never want special treatment because I am a woman, if I need help I will ask, but do not patronize me or try to take over because you may "think" I can't do something!

As for the "steering wheel holder" term it is commonly known as a derogatory term for a driver who is not very professional what I would call a "super trucker", another derogatory term..."stupid trucker" is another one that comes to mind. We have all seen them...been everywhere, knows everything...a hazard on the road.

I take a great deal of pride in what I do, I strive to be the best I can be at what I do...not just sometimes, but always! THAT, IMHO is the difference between a true professional & a "steering wheel holder".

I deeply apologize for hijacking the thread & getting off topic!

<wildkat gets off her soapbox now!>

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 03-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
Quote:
WildKat said:

Quote:
I have spent nearly 30 years proving that I could DO this job, I love what I do, but I deeply resent someone telling me what "many" women want! Because to "many" in this industry many means ALL!
So.... does that mean that ALL people in this industry think that many means all??? I'm so confused!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
Now, hobo I KNOW that you are merely trying to see if you can get me riled! :lol: :lol:

NOPE! Not ME!! I got no Death Wish!! :lol: Just having a bit of fun with WORDS!! :lol:

I'm fairly sure you know what I meant by that comment, but I will TRY to explain what I mean... sheesh!
No, many does not mean ALL, but unfortunately when *some* people, whether they mean to or not, make "blanket" type statements for "other" people, it can & does offend the ones who do NOT feel that way.

Good try, but not necessary! Actually, KayCee didn't MAKE such a "blanket" statement.... he said MANY. What he said has much merit, and support. Consider the fact that the company with the MOST "female" drivers is USX..... who have only auto trucks! Don't blame US if "MANY" women are attracted to a company that fields trucks that don't require SHIFTING! This is not a "slam" against women who WANT to drive a truck, expecially ones that requires SKILL, but the facts are the facts. "MANY" of the women drivers entering the industry today do NOT want to have to shift a manual! THEY have no bearing on YOU!! I don't believe ANYONE here holds YOU responsible for the needs and desires of OTHER female truckers!

Seems you are not the only one that dislikes "LUMPING!" :lol: (reference to GREG here.) I don't think ANYONE here likes being "lumped!" And that is a good thing! I also don't think that MOST (or MANY) of us do such "lumping." "I" am probably the worst at it.... concerning Republicans and Conservatives.... but even "I" know the difference!! :wink:

kc0iv:

Please don't take this the wrong way... I am going to come across, for the moment, as a man hating feminist, but truly I am not!

Thank GOD!! Because THAT would be a "waste!" Truth is.... "MANY" (does that mean ALL?) feminists do NOT HATE MEN! Although, it is possible that "MANY" do!! :wink:

I resent a "man" telling anyone what a "woman" wants, because for one you truly do NOT know for sure....

NO offense intended..... but, neither do "MANY" of you!! :lol: :wink:

you, I think, are a man, not a woman. Sorry, but there is no way you can know for sure what we want! Sure, you can ask, BUT, just as I, as a rule haven't a clue what most men want, I can make an informed opinion, but just when I think I've got it figured out something or someone will come along that blows my theory out of the water!

HATE it when that happens..... don't you?? :wink:

I also resent that "some" women think that they should have special treatment & have special consideration just because they are women! I think I hate that more than anything!

Wouldn't be MY top choice.... but then, I'm not in a beauty contest saying that I think the BEST thing to "wish" for is "WHIRLED PEAS" either!! :lol:

All I ask is that you treat me with respect & understand there are some things that I simply CANNOT do because of my lessor strength & size. But, respect of my abilities & strengths that I do have is important & do not think less of me because I can't always lift the big boxes or tighten straps as well as a man.

And what makes you think that MEN (of lessor size and strength) don't feel the same way? HECK, there are WOMEN out there that can outlift me.... but am I crying about it and trying to "prove" myself?? Just a thought! :lol:

I never want special treatment because I am a woman, if I need help I will ask, but do not patronize me or try to take over because you may "think" I can't do something!

BTW.... that "IS" the feminist platform. To NOT want such special treatment. But, I hope I NEVER meet you on the road and "suggest" that YOU sit in the truck while "I" handle the tandem release bar! (This happened to me once with a female driver. I MEANT no "discrimination," it's just that it was MY truck and I thought "I" should handle the harder work!) :lol:

As for the "steering wheel holder" term it is commonly known as a derogatory term for a driver who is not very professional what I would call a "super trucker", another derogatory term..."stupid trucker" is another one that comes to mind. We have all seen them...been everywhere, knows everything...a hazard on the road.

Actually, there is a difference between "super trucker" and "steeringwheelholder." The former may THINK he knows everything, and probably HAS enough experience to at least warrant that misconception of himself. The latter doesn't know chit, and doesn't want to LEARN! Those WOMEN who want to be a truck driver, but want to go with USX so they don't have to SHIFT GEARS.... are probably the latter!

Make no mistake.... there are MEN who want this "easy way out" as well! But, if DRIVERS like you want the industry to be EQUAL, you must at least "recognize" the demographics involved, and blame those of your OWN sex for their inclinations.... before you blame US "men" for noticing it!! :wink:

I take a great deal of pride in what I do, I strive to be the best I can be at what I do...not just sometimes, but always! THAT, IMHO is the difference between a true professional & a "steering wheel holder".

I couldn't agree MORE! And, if you wouldn't think it patronizing, I'd like to say how PROUD I am of YOU, WildKat! NOT becuase of what SEX you are.... but because of the PERSON you are! And NOT because you are a woman doing the job.... but because you are a PROFESSIONAL doing the job!

If I ever meet you on the road, (not likely.... but desirable) and I offer to HELP you with something.... PLEASE don't take it as a "sexist" slight... but as a PROFESSIONAL courtesy! That's what TRUCKERS "do" for each other! Your "battle" is OVER.... as far as I"m concerned.... and we are BOTH winners! :lol: :wink:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Point taken hobo... I concede...

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Senior Board Member

wildkat,

I would totally agree more of the opposite sex can fully understand the other sex. That being said in the same light either sex can see trends. And like I said before there is a trend for women wanting automatic transmissions vs manual transmissions more than men. That doesn't mean all or even most. As I said before "First I do know a fairly large percentage of women that come to job fairs and discuss getting into trucking one, if not the most, often concerns is shifting a manual transmission. Since one of the companies I was involved with wanted to recuit more husband/wife teams they purchased auto-shift transmissions to meet this demand."

I don't see that, at least as far as the company is concerned, having anything to do with being sexual. It has more to do with what it takes to meet the demands of the job market. Companies look for any edge they can use to get the limited available recruits to sign with them. It just happens one of the things many women express concerns with was shifting a manual transmission. That doesn't mean all women want auto-shift transmissions it simply mean enough women have express their opinion to justify the purchase.

In my years of driving I think I have heard all the negative comments in respect to women in this profession. I have yet to find most of these true.

In respect to "steering wheel holder" I heard the same kind of comments by the "professional" when power steering, air conditioning, and single stick transmissions were introduced. I don't know about you but I sure don't want to go back to these. Does that make me a "steering wheel holder?" No that make me a better and smarter driver. Lucky for me it doesn't really matter -- I'm retired. My biggest concern is am I going to take an afternoon nap or not.

Anyway, have a safe trip.

kc0iv
Old 03-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
WildKat said:

Quote:

Quote:
NOPE! Not ME!! I got no Death Wish!! :lol: Just having a bit of fun with WORDS!! :lol:
I guessed that!

Good try, but not necessary! Actually, KayCee didn't MAKE such a "blanket" statement.... he said MANY. What he said has much merit, and support. Consider the fact that the company with the MOST "female" drivers is USX..... who have only auto trucks! Don't blame US if "MANY" women are attracted to a company that fields trucks that don't require SHIFTING! This is not a "slam" against women who WANT to drive a truck, expecially ones that requires SKILL, but the facts are the facts. "MANY" of the women drivers entering the industry today do NOT want to have to shift a manual! THEY have no bearing on YOU!! I don't believe ANYONE here holds YOU responsible for the needs and desires of OTHER female truckers!

Seems you are not the only one that dislikes "LUMPING!" :lol: (reference to GREG here.) I don't think ANYONE here likes being "lumped!" And that is a good thing! I also don't think that MOST (or MANY) of us do such "lumping." "I" am probably the worst at it.... concerning Republicans and Conservatives.... but even "I" know the difference!! :wink:

kc0iv:

Please don't take this the wrong way... I am going to come across, for the moment, as a man hating feminist, but truly I am not!

Thank GOD!! Because THAT would be a "waste!" Truth is.... "MANY" (does that mean ALL?) feminists do NOT HATE MEN! Although, it is possible that "MANY" do!! :wink:

I resent a "man" telling anyone what a "woman" wants, because for one you truly do NOT know for sure....

NO offense intended..... but, neither do "MANY" of you!! :lol: :wink:

you, I think, are a man, not a woman. Sorry, but there is no way you can know for sure what we want! Sure, you can ask, BUT, just as I, as a rule haven't a clue what most men want, I can make an informed opinion, but just when I think I've got it figured out something or someone will come along that blows my theory out of the water!

Quote:
HATE it when that happens..... don't you?? :wink:
ABSOLUTELY!

I also resent that "some" women think that they should have special treatment & have special consideration just because they are women! I think I hate that more than anything!

Quote:
Wouldn't be MY top choice.... but then, I'm not in a beauty contest saying that I think the BEST thing to "wish" for is "WHIRLED PEAS" either!! :lol:

And what makes you think that MEN (of lessor size and strength) don't feel the same way? HECK, there are WOMEN out there that can outlift me.... but am I crying about it and trying to "prove" myself?? Just a thought! :lol:

BTW.... that "IS" the feminist platform. To NOT want such special treatment. But, I hope I NEVER meet you on the road and "suggest" that YOU sit in the truck while "I" handle the tandem release bar! (This happened to me once with a female driver. I MEANT no "discrimination," it's just that it was MY truck and I thought "I" should handle the harder work!) :lol:

Actually, there is a difference between "super trucker" and "steeringwheelholder." The former may THINK he knows everything, and probably HAS enough experience to at least warrant that misconception of himself. The latter doesn't know chit, and doesn't want to LEARN! Those WOMEN who want to be a truck driver, but want to go with USX so they don't have to SHIFT GEARS.... are probably the latter!

Quote:
[Make no mistake.... there are MEN who want this "easy way out" as well! But, if DRIVERS like you want the industry to be EQUAL, you must at least "recognize" the demographics involved, and blame those of your OWN sex for their inclinations.... before you blame US "men" for noticing it!! :wink:
Oh BELIEVE me...I DO!!!

Quote:
I couldn't agree MORE! And, if you wouldn't think it patronizing, I'd like to say how PROUD I am of YOU, WildKat! NOT becuase of what SEX you are.... but because of the PERSON you are! And NOT because you are a woman doing the job.... but because you are a PROFESSIONAL doing the job!

Thank you!

Quote:
If I ever meet you on the road, (not likely.... but desirable) and I offer to HELP you with something.... PLEASE don't take it as a "sexist" slight... but as a PROFESSIONAL courtesy! That's what TRUCKERS "do" for each other! Your "battle" is OVER.... as far as I"m concerned.... and we are BOTH winners! :lol: :wink:
Exactly!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
WIMP!! :lol: :lol:

I'm not looking for a CONCESSION, Wildkat! I guess I'm looking for CONSENSUS!

You made some very important points, and I didn't mean to "beat you down" on any of them. You got a bit "miffed" at what Kaycee said, and that "happens."

I only want to foster an "understanding" between the sexes in this industry! I'm pretty sure KayCee joins me, as do "MANY" on this board, that women can be equal, if not better, at driving a truck! YOU are certainly MY "better" at it! [for now.]

YOU are not responsible for those of your sex who have not measured up to YOUR standards! Same goes for ME!

All ANY of us can do.... is OUR best! But, anything LESS than our BEST is to FAIL at this job! SEX never enters the picture! Trust me... I KNOW that for a fact! Been out here several years and haven't seen or GOTTEN any YET!! :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

[quote="golfhobo"]
Quote:
Quote:
WIMP!! :lol: :lol:
Definitely!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Quote:
I'm not looking for a CONCESSION, Wildkat! I guess I'm looking for CONSENSUS!
OK CONSESUS it is! I totally agree with many, if not all of the points you have made thus far...Concede the match...NOT the battle!!! I enjoy sparring with you far too much!!! :lol: :lol:

Quote:
You made some very important points, and I didn't mean to "beat you down" on any of them. You got a bit "miffed" at what Kaycee said, and that "happens."
I should NEVER read these when I'm tired...I had just gotten home after another nasty weathered trip...my apologies KC! Crap occurs! :wink: :wink: And....I did not feel that you had "beat me down", I'm made of tougher stuff than that!

Quote:
I only want to foster an "understanding" between the sexes in this industry! I'm pretty sure KayCee joins me, as do "MANY" on this board, that women can be equal, if not better, at driving a truck! YOU are certainly MY "better" at it! [for now.]
Good Luck! I wish you the best!
I sincerely doubt I am better...just equal & different!

Quote:
YOU are not responsible for those of your sex who have not measured up to YOUR standards! Same goes for ME!
Thank God for that! I get into enough trouble just trying to resposible for myself! :lol: :lol:

Quote:
All ANY of us can do.... is OUR best! But, anything LESS than our BEST is to FAIL at this job! SEX never enters the picture! Trust me... I KNOW that for a fact! Been out here several years and haven't seen or GOTTEN any YET!! :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
REALLY??? :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Board Regular

Not to derail this great, off topic but very amusing thread...

Hobo...all modern engines are electronically controlled....yes, that means drive by wire!

It does all the thinking for you...no manual fast idle control, not as much fighting with the thing to start up in cold weather, automatically setting up the optimum fuel/air ratio... And most of the time works just fine!

BUT...the driver tells it what to do...not the computer....

if I'm not mistaking....isn't that the same as most autoshifts? I don't know from experience, as all I've driven is a manual...but is this really so much of a bad thing?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985
Not to derail this great, off topic but very amusing thread...

Hobo...all modern engines are electronically controlled....yes, that means drive by wire!

It does all the thinking for you...no manual fast idle control, not as much fighting with the thing to start up in cold weather, automatically setting up the optimum fuel/air ratio... And most of the time works just fine!
BUT...the driver tells it what to do...not the computer....

if I'm not mistaking....isn't that the same as most autoshifts? I don't know from experience, as all I've driven is a manual...but is this really so much of a bad thing?
Dang you TOM! YES.... they are! But, I am trying to get AWAY from them! :lol:

The COMPUTER controls too much of my engine! If I could disconnect it, I would! I JUST found out this week that the shop guy could plug in his laptop and tell the engine computer to SHUT THE HELL UP! :shock:

Give ME that power, and I'll make a TRUCK out of her!!

I use my cruise control most of the time because I feel it gives "optimum efficiency" to fuel consumption while on long hauls. But, I want FULL control over shift points, because "I" know best when the truck needs to be in a certain gear!

If there are "better" settings for the "injectors" or idle control.... tell me what they are! Trust ME, as the driver, to know WHEN to change them!

I KNOW that much of our engines are "fly by wire," but give me the MOST control that "I" (as the pilot) can have! I LIKE "newer" trucks, and don't want to drive a 70's model..... but I will if I have to! :lol:

But, again, the question concerned autoshift vs. manual shift on a downhill slope! I will take the MANUAL every time! The "computer" may STILL kill me..... but it won't be because I had no control over the gears!!!

My brother, who is a "steeringwheelholder" and doesn't claim to BE a "truck driver" loves his autoshift because he can EAT A SANDWICH while going up and down hills! :shock:

Again, I say..... that much "free ride" leads to inattentiveness, that leads to fatal accidents! I've seen it too many times on the road! A driver who is reading a book or a map, and taking up BOTH lanes, becuase he has NO RESPONSIBILITY for driving the TRUCK! :shock: