User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'm in an autoshift at the present time. As far as safety goes, if everything is working as it should, an autoshift will be equally as safe on a hill as a manual. As golfhobo mentioned if the computer goes haywire then all bets are off. I hope to never have to deal with that situation. The positives of the autoshift on a hill is they never miss a shift. On the truck I'm in you just put it in low and the only thing it can do is downshift. It really makes coming down a steep hill very easy, and the benefits of the autoshift in Los Angeles traffic can't be beat in my opinion. I'm a local driver, so I spend a fair amount of time in rush hour traffic. If I was an OTR driver, I'm sure a manual would be my choice.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Which one is more dangerous??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
golfhobo,

I agree in part. In the truck I owned I had a 13 speed. I never drove a 2 petal auto in a big truck. I have driven the Roadranger and found it enjoyable for the short time I drove it.

There are pros and cons as to which clutch/transmission combo is best. I know many of the companies are going to Computer Control as a cost savings. Plus many woman don't want to drive a truck with a manual transmission. And there have been a few men on this board who wanted a auto shift because they had a leg problem and couldn't use the clutch.

If you are a pilot are you telling me you don't like auto-pilot? I'd hate to go on a cross country flight without auto-pilot. Could I fly without it? Sure but it sure is nice.

kc0iv
S'xuse me???? Women don't want to WHAT???? Please DO NOT make blanket statements like this...it's insulting & patronizing! I am a woman, I own my truck, it has an 18 speed in it... You'll BURY me before I drive ANYTHING with an auto-shift anything in it!

As hobo stated... I WANT to know what's going on & have CONTROL over my own life... thank you very much!!!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 03-09-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamalu
more dangerous to go down a steep grade in a ten speed, or an automatic, or autoshift?
Automatic and Autoshift are the same thing. :wink: Your prolly thinking about the tranny that can do both Automatic or Manual by flipping a switch.
I see you failed to realize that, the automatic he's talking about, doesn't have sliding gears like the manuals have, or the autoshifts (2 or 3 pedal).
Old 03-09-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamalu
more dangerous to go down a steep grade in a ten speed, or an automatic, or autoshift?
It's all about the nut behind the wheel.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
I suggest that you perform a test and report back.....
:lol: :lol:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
Quote:
Plus many woman don't want to drive a truck with a manual transmission. And there have been a few men on this board who wanted a auto shift because they had a leg problem and couldn't use the clutch.
kc0iv
S'xuse me???? Women don't want to WHAT???? Please DO NOT make blanket statements like this...it's insulting & patronizing! I am a woman, I own my truck, it has an 18 speed in it... You'll BURY me before I drive ANYTHING with an auto-shift anything in it!

As hobo stated... I WANT to know what's going on & have CONTROL over my own life... thank you very much!!!
wildkat Guess you didn't read what I wrote. Seems you missed the key word many. Last time I checked "many" meant indefinite (not decided or not known) number.

I know several companies that have spec out auto-shifts because some women didn't want to drive manual transmission.

kc0iv
Old 03-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Plus many woman don't want to drive a truck with a manual transmission. And there have been a few men on this board who wanted a auto shift because they had a leg problem and couldn't use the clutch.
kc0iv

wildkat Guess you didn't read what I wrote. Seems you missed the key word many. Last time I checked "many" meant indefinite (not decided or not known) number.

I know several companies that have spec out auto-shifts because some women didn't want to drive manual transmission.

kc0iv
I did read what you wrote. But please be aware that when you make statements like this you will have people, like me, who take it the "wrong" way. Remember, you are writing a post not speaking, so we don't always know what you mean! ops: ops:

I have spent nearly 30 years proving that I could DO this job, I love what I do, but I deeply resent someone telling me what "many" women want! Because to "many" in this industry many means ALL!

Unless you know, please don't lump us all together. Unfortunately there are just as many women "steering-wheel holders" out there as there are men! :lol: :lol:

In future...I will try not to be so touchy about this! :lol: :lol: Fair enough?

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 03-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I did read what you wrote. But please be aware that when you make statements like this you will have people, like me, who take it the "wrong" way. Remember, you are writing a post not speaking, so we don't always know what you mean! ops: ops:

I have spent nearly 30 years proving that I could DO this job, I love what I do, but I deeply resent someone telling me what "many" women want! Because to "many" in this industry many means ALL!

Unless you know, please don't lump us all together. Unfortunately there are just as many women "steering-wheel holders" out there as there are men! :lol: :lol:

In future...I will try not to be so touchy about this! :lol: :lol: Fair enough?
wildkat,
First I do know a fairly large percentage of women that come to job fairs and discuss getting into trucking one, if not the most, often concerns is shifting a manual transmission. Since one of the companies I was involved with wanted to recuit more husband/wife teams they purchased auto-shift transmissions to meet this demand.

I see this no difference than the shift from an almost all male profession to a mixed male/female profession. Or when we went from a twin transmission to a single transmission. Or the shift from non-power steering to power steering.

More and more companies are switching to some form of auto-shift transmissions for all their drivers. Mainly, because the reduction in cost of repairs. I'd hate to guess how many thousand upon thousand clutch and clutch breaks have been replaced because of improper shifting. They have also found that auto-shift transmissions improves their fuel cost.

Drivers, be it male or female, may not like the shift from manual transmissions to auto-shift transmissions but companies see them as a improvement in their bottom line. Looking into my crystal ball I see it happening at an increasing rate. Just like the many other cost saving designers are looking into.

One other change that occurred over the last few years is the switch from OTR to regional. Companies have found it is harder to find new drivers that want the life style of the OTR driver. It is slowly going back to the way it used to be when I first got behind the controls of a 18 wheeler.

As to the "steering-wheel holders" concept. I'm not sure what that even means. Unless a driver is in a special classification they are all "steering-wheel holders" as I understand it's meaning. The biggest difference is how long they have been driving.

kc0iv
Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
I'm in an autoshift at the present time. As far as safety goes, if everything is working as it should, an autoshift will be equally as safe on a hill as a manual. As golfhobo mentioned if the computer goes haywire then all bets are off.
Exactly!

Quote:
I hope to never have to deal with that situation.
Don't worry.... it will probably only happen ONCE!! :shock: :lol:

Quote:
The positives of the autoshift on a hill is they never miss a shift. On the truck I'm in you just put it in low and the only thing it can do is downshift.
Well.... you make a good point about the "missed shift," however.... there are many "hills" (like Donner Pass) that flatten out enough at times that an upshift is warranted. Also, on most continuous steep hills, you only have to select ONE gear with the manual, and just be IN IT before you start down the hill! :wink:

Quote:
and the benefits of the autoshift in Los Angeles traffic can't be beat in my opinion. I'm a local driver, so I spend a fair amount of time in rush hour traffic.
Well.... ya got me THERE!! :lol: However.... once again the question was about SAFETY, not comfort. (You couldn't PAY me enough to drive a local gig in L.A.!!!!)

Speaking of the computer going haywire.... this week I was delayed leaving on my trip by about 3 hours as the shop had to find out WHY the check engine / engine protect SHUTDOWN kept coming on. Lucky for me, it happened just after I left the yard, and I was able to "limp" back (drive 2 miles.... stop on the side.... restart engine.... drive 2 miles.... rinse and repeat!)

They finally ended up re-programming the truck to IGNORE it's computer sensors!! I actually had to keep my eye on the TEMP guage every now and then!! :shock: :shock: :shock: DUH!!!!!! 8)

How would you like your truck to keep shutting off (for NO REASON) in that L.A. rush hour traffic???

[They SHOOT horses, don't they??? ]

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Board Icon

WildKat said:

Quote:
So.... does that mean that ALL people in this industry think that many means all??? I'm so confused!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.