User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Which one is more dangerous??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamalu
more dangerous to go down a steep grade in a ten speed, or an automatic, or autoshift?
Automatic and Autoshift are the same thing. :wink: Your prolly thinking about the tranny that can do both Automatic or Manual by flipping a switch.
Not really.

An automatic is a two pedal system such as the ArvinMeritor - ZF-FreedomLine Automated Transmission See: http://www.meritorhvs.com/Product_CV...op_nav_str=hvs

Quoting from their description "It is a two-pedal automated transmission that weighs less than competitive systems, responds faster, uses less fuel, and automatically adjusts for varying loads. The integral clutch is air operated and electronically controlled – clutch pedal operation is completely eliminated in the cab. "

While an autoshift has a clutch petal. Such as The Roadranger - AutoShift 10-Speed See: http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger...Text=autoshift Look at TRSL0281

Quoting from their website "Once the vehicle is in motion, AutoShift operates like an automatic transmission, with the efficiency of a manual transmission."

kc0iv
Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Senior Board Member

never having driven a auto shift or automatic...I would suspect the manual would be safer(being driven by someone with a brain)---because the automatic would probably keep wanting to gear up as your rpms climb and rolling speed increase(opps)- causing heavy use of brake pedal by operator.....now add patches of ice on that downgrade.

I could be completely wrong-- maybe they've got some kind of sensors in the brakes or sensor that tells it --it's on a down grade...who knows.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Senior Board Member

In the auto's, all you have to do is go to the manual mode and go into the proper gear. Then, unless you let the rpm's max out (2,000+) it will stay in that gear. If your revs go too high, it WILL shift to save the drivetrain.

However, if you can't tell when the trucks revs are that high and actually let them get there, you shouldn't be driving anything more than a Dodge Caravan.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Board Icon

Hey kc0iv,

[quote="Mr. Ford95"]
Automatic and Autoshift are the same thing :wink: Your prolly thinking about the tranny that can do both Automatic or Manual by flipping a switch

Both shift gears for you automatically, hence an "auto"matic or "auto"shift. The autoshift allows to change from the truck doing it for you with a switch so that you can shift when you want to, hence the end of the name of "shift" while the automatic will not allow you to do that.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
In the auto's, all you have to do is go to the manual mode and go into the proper gear. Then, unless you let the rpm's max out (2,000+) it will stay in that gear. If your revs go too high, it WILL shift to save the drivetrain.

However, if you can't tell when the trucks revs are that high and actually let them get there, you shouldn't be driving anything more than a Dodge Caravan.

I guess I have to ask--- when you're rolling down a steep grade--- and are using your "gears"/ drivetrain to hold you back--- what does your tachometer read?

basically having to switch to "manual mode" would imply that a manual transmission is basically better suited/ safer for rolling down a grade.

2000 rpms isn't even in the orange or red zone on my tach.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Senior Board Member

tachometer? is that like the force? If so then I use it.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamalu
more dangerous to go down a steep grade in a ten speed, or an automatic, or autoshift?
Automatic and Autoshift are the same thing. :wink: Your prolly thinking about the tranny that can do both Automatic or Manual by flipping a switch.
Not really.

An automatic is a two pedal system such as the ArvinMeritor - ZF-FreedomLine Automated Transmission See: http://www.meritorhvs.com/Product_CV...op_nav_str=hvs

Quoting from their description "It is a two-pedal automated transmission that weighs less than competitive systems, responds faster, uses less fuel, and automatically adjusts for varying loads. The integral clutch is air operated and electronically controlled – clutch pedal operation is completely eliminated in the cab. "

While an autoshift has a clutch petal. Such as The Roadranger - AutoShift 10-Speed See: http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger...Text=autoshift Look at TRSL0281

Quoting from their website "Once the vehicle is in motion, AutoShift operates like an automatic transmission, with the efficiency of a manual transmission."

kc0iv
Kaycee, I'm responding to YOUR post.... ONLY because it has more info and because I want to reply to the part I highlighted. Take no offense!

I have stated my feelings on auto-whatevers before, but this is a different argument. Those who like them have all my blessings. (not really :lol: )

What I am worried about here is something similar to our aircraft today. It is the principle of "fly by wire." i.e: Computer Controlled.

At times, this is a great concept and saves wear and tear on the "pilot / driver." But, when it FAILS..... :shock:

I'm sorry, but I've had too many "puter" problems to trust these things to save my life! I want GEARS and LINKAGES! I want MANUAL control of the same! I don't want some "computer chip" deciding what gear I should be in, or KEEPING it there! :shock:

I want control over my MOTOR and my drive train! I don't TRUST computers or "assisted" mechanisms.

I don't drive by "computer calculations" I drive by FEEL and CONTROL. No "JIMP" ( a reference to the movie The Right Stuff) is gonna drive my truck! I'm a "pilot" and I WILL make the decisions!

With ALL DUE RESPECT to Malakai and others who drive Autos.... the LESS you have to think about what you are doing, the LESS you are on top of what you are doing!

That's My Humble Opinion! And anyone who doesn't like it can engage the clutch (oh.... you don't HAVE one) and slam it into 8th gear (IF you can!) :lol: :lol:

Just havin' some FUN guys!! Don't get your panties in a bunch! :wink:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
the wrong way
Road, that is a good pic.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Kaycee, I'm responding to YOUR post.... ONLY because it has more info and because I want to reply to the part I highlighted. Take no offense!

I have stated my feelings on auto-whatevers before, but this is a different argument. Those who like them have all my blessings. (not really :lol: )

What I am worried about here is something similar to our aircraft today. It is the principle of "fly by wire." i.e: Computer Controlled.

At times, this is a great concept and saves wear and tear on the "pilot / driver." But, when it FAILS..... :shock:

I'm sorry, but I've had too many "puter" problems to trust these things to save my life! I want GEARS and LINKAGES! I want MANUAL control of the same! I don't want some "computer chip" deciding what gear I should be in, or KEEPING it there! :shock:

I want control over my MOTOR and my drive train! I don't TRUST computers or "assisted" mechanisms.

I don't drive by "computer calculations" I drive by FEEL and CONTROL. No "JIMP" ( a reference to the movie The Right Stuff) is gonna drive my truck! I'm a "pilot" and I WILL make the decisions!

With ALL DUE RESPECT to Malakai and others who drive Autos.... the LESS you have to think about what you are doing, the LESS you are on top of what you are doing!

That's My Humble Opinion! And anyone who doesn't like it can engage the clutch (oh.... you don't HAVE one) and slam it into 8th gear (IF you can!) :lol: :lol:

Just havin' some FUN guys!! Don't get your panties in a bunch! :wink:
golfhobo,

I agree in part. In the truck I owned I had a 13 speed. I never drove a 2 petal auto in a big truck. I have driven the Roadranger and found it enjoyable for the short time I drove it.

There are pros and cons as to which clutch/transmission combo is best. I know many of the companies are going to Computer Control as a cost savings. Plus many woman don't want to drive a truck with a manual transmission. And there have been a few men on this board who wanted a auto shift because they had a leg problem and couldn't use the clutch.

If you are a pilot are you telling me you don't like auto-pilot? I'd hate to go on a cross country flight without auto-pilot. Could I fly without it? Sure but it sure is nice.

kc0iv
Old 03-08-2008, 02:35 AM
Board Icon

Kaycee:

Lest I mislead you or anyone else.... I am not a licensed aircraft pilot!

I put the word in quotes, as it can mean anyone who "guides" or "controls" whatever craft he operates. such as a river "pilot."

It was also, a furtherance of my reference to the movie The Right Stuff. One of the lines in that movie was that "He is a Pilot, you tell him the condition of his craft."

I WAS in the process, but moved before I could complete it. Someday, I may yet get a pilot's license. But I AM NOT AN AIRCRAFT PILOT. I am the "Captain of my Ship" the "pilot of my truck." All of this means that "I" am the one at the controls and "I" will make the decisions!

Now.... I DO use cruise control alot on my cross-country trips, but that is not the same as having a computer do the shifting for me.

The advantages you listed for the auto shift have merit, but that was not the question. The question was about which is SAFER for going down a hill. I gave MY OPINION, and my reasoning. The ECM on my automobile is acting up at the moment, it tends to SURGE when trying to come to a stop! Like kicking in the cruise control and bumping it up when I WANT to be slowing down! Computers make too many mistakes!! I... and I alone... will decide what gear to be in and when as I descend any hill!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.