User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

By the way young zw please don't lump me in with CFM as I am nowhere close to being like him in any manner... He truly is a bitter person.... I really take offense to that, he is an assh*le, I am not.. If you like please go through all my old post and show me where I have dumped on OTR Drivers, you wont find one, in fact I think you will find one where I question the good of the Union myself... But I know you will not find one about me bashing OTR, the only other bashing I do on this board it to respond to people who I feel (Key word here being I) are showing ignorance towards others... people who lump all groups into one category...

Timberwolf
Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Board Regular

My sincere apologizes Timberwolf. I am not as much anti-union as I appear. Its just in my neck of the woods we used to have a great amount of industrialization with a strong unionized workforce. Just with the downturn in the economy a lot of these factories were struggling, and to make matters worse the unions around here propositioned their workers to intialtionaly strike, saying that the factories were in better positions then what they were saying. So the workers striked got their raises and health benefits increased and eventually lost their jobs due to the factories not being able to substain themselves with the added increase of wages along with the slowdown of business. In the past 8 years we have lost 3 factories in my county that consisted of about 5500 jobs in a county of 33,000 people. The national unemployment rate last I knew was about 4% I think, my county is about 9.5 to 10%. I'm not going to blame that on the union labor entirely because there could have more done on both sides. I'm a little more in favor of business that support their workers even though they are not unionized as opposed to business that are at the helm of their employees because of labor unrest mainly because my parents are small business owners so from a young age I have seen that things do not always appear as they seem. I'm pretty young only 22 and although I never was without, and occasionally never with :lol: growing up I learned that in order to get what you want in life you must earn it. I glad to see that you are successful and happy, as so I am. Whether or not some one wants to join a union is in their own freewill to do so and as the Wagner Act states workers have the right to form unions. Just some times what gets my goat is when people act as though it is their god given right to have that job and the company has to provide benefits. There is not statute of law requiring employers to provide benefits, which we all most remember. So the moral of these somewhat story is be thankful for what you have and also what you don't have. God Bless and take care.
YoungZ.W.

To the orginal creator of this topic I apolize for high jacking the thread.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:16 AM

Ask these guys, http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/

Seems to be the Union guys hangout
Old 02-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.
My sincere apologizes Timberwolf. I am not as much anti-union as I appear. Its just in my neck of the woods we used to have a great amount of industrialization with a strong unionized workforce. Just with the downturn in the economy a lot of these factories were struggling, and to make matters worse the unions around here propositioned their workers to intialtionaly strike, saying that the factories were in better positions then what they were saying. So the workers striked got their raises and health benefits increased and eventually lost their jobs due to the factories not being able to substain themselves with the added increase of wages along with the slowdown of business. In the past 8 years we have lost 3 factories in my county that consisted of about 5500 jobs in a county of 33,000 people. The national unemployment rate last I knew was about 4% I think, my county is about 9.5 to 10%. I'm not going to blame that on the union labor entirely because there could have more done on both sides. I'm a little more in favor of business that support their workers even though they are not unionized as opposed to business that are at the helm of their employees because of labor unrest mainly because my parents are small business owners so from a young age I have seen that things do not always appear as they seem. I'm pretty young only 22 and although I never was without, and occasionally never with :lol: growing up I learned that in order to get what you want in life you must earn it. I glad to see that you are successful and happy, as so I am. Whether or not some one wants to join a union is in their own freewill to do so and as the Wagner Act states workers have the right to form unions. Just some times what gets my goat is when people act as though it is their god given right to have that job and the company has to provide benefits. There is not statute of law requiring employers to provide benefits, which we all most remember. So the moral of these somewhat story is be thankful for what you have and also what you don't have. God Bless and take care.
YoungZ.W.

I think it's funny how CFM has got your dumba$$ and so many others on here riled up. If you don't like what he has to say ignore his posts!!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
YoungZ.W.

Wise beyond your years, YoungZW.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Board Regular

How can I ignore his posts when he posts his remarks in every damn thread. He acts like the school yard bully here at CAD and intimadates people like you to see everything his way. Everyones entitled to their point of view, but I for one am not going to sit around and let him bash the hundards of thousands of OTR drivers that sacrifice being away from their families in order to keep these country running. We all work 12-16 hour days the only difference is some of us sleep in our trucks when were done.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomohawk
I was curious to how those companies work, I have all of those terminals close to me and sometimes they have openings for part time dock worker/driver.

How does it all work? What is starting pay? Do you work part time for a few months or what? How long before you can get 40 hours/join the union?
Just trying to get a little info, also why do these union outfits all pull doubles and triples? It seems most of the doubles and triples are union except R&L and Estes.
Bump :lol:
Old 02-29-2008, 03:05 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Quote:
I was curious to how those companies work, I have all of those terminals close to me and sometimes they have openings for part time dock worker/driver.

How does it all work? What is starting pay? Do you work part time for a few months or what? How long before you can get 40 hours/join the union?
Just trying to get a little info, also why do these union outfits all pull doubles and triples? It seems most of the doubles and triples are union except R&L and Estes.
Bump :lol:
LTL is set up in a hub-spoke type system. For instance, in Ohio where you live a company might have local terminals in Cleveland, Akron, Cincinnat, etc. All the freight picked up from these points gets loaded onto trailers and sent to a central hub...say in Columbus...where the freight gets unloaded and sorted. For example, all the freight going to Texas gets sorted on the dock at the hub and loaded onto trailers going to another hub in say Dallas. All the freight going to Canada gets sorted and loaded into pups going to Buffalo, etc.

Let's say Cleveland loads a pup with all the freight destined for California. They also have another pup with all kinds of miscellaneous freight. So they would hook these sets together and the driver would pull them down to the hub in Columbus where the California pup would be unhooked and staged in the yard while the other pup would be docked and the freight unloaded and sorted.

The advantage to pups is that the first Cleveland pup never has to be unloaded at the hub. This reduces dock time and damage.

Quote:
How can I ignore his posts when he posts his remarks in every damn thread. He acts like the school yard bully here at CAD and intimadates people like you to see everything his way. Everyones entitled to their point of view, but I for one am not going to sit around and let him bash the hundards of thousands of OTR drivers that sacrifice being away from their families in order to keep these country running. We all work 12-16 hour days the only difference is some of us sleep in our trucks when were done.
What a crybaby! Keep that offramp clean tonite!! :lol: