User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Stopping by the House

I drive linehaul, and my route passes my house by only 3 miles at one point, on the way home. I then drive the truck another hour to the yard, drop the empty, and then drive my car another hour back to my house. I was thinking .... to save myself 2 hours of commuting in my car... I could just park the truck in a big parking lot near my house, then just go home in my car, or have gf pick me up, whatever. Next day, drive the truck back to the yard, get next load, repeat the procedure.

Anyone doing this ? Sounds good on paper.

I currently am not slipseating, so no else needs my truck. I'd just have to get permission from the bosses, of course. :sad:

I see some other big trucks in the same lot now and then, off on the side, so they might be doing the same thing.

Do cops give tickets for this ? Need permission fron the parking lot stores ? Trucks get vandalized ?? Get parked in ??? Is it worth the hassle ??

Thanks
Old 02-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Board Regular

As long as you have permission from the owner of the property you are going to be parked at, and your employer, there should be no problem.

The police can not ticket you for parking on private property! Unless you were illegally parked on the road, there is no way they could hassle you. HOWEVER...if you park there and the owner of the parking lot doesn't like it there, he could have it towed.

Just check it out, and if everyone agrees, go for it!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

You need to know 3 things:

1: You have permission from your boss.
2: You have the permission of the lot owner or manager.
3: That there is no local laws prohibiting trucks from parking within city limits "overnight".

Once you have all 3 in your favor then go for it.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Arent your trailers already pre-loaded? If so, how would they load that trailer (even if it's assigned to someone else for the next day) if it was sitting in a lot somewhere?

Adapt and overcome.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985
As long as you have permission from the owner of the property you are going to be parked at, and your employer, there should be no problem.

The police can not ticket you for parking on private property! Unless you were illegally parked on the road, there is no way they could hassle you. HOWEVER...if you park there and the owner of the parking lot doesn't like it there, he could have it towed.

If there is a local ordinance prohibiting parking CMV overnight you can and will get a ticket. Some cities will tow your truck. Check the local laws before parking there. More cities are hopping on the anti-CMV bandwagon.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985

In some cities you can be ticketed even if you park on Private Property if the owner of the property has an agreement with the City to come on the property and ticket or tow any illegally parked vehicles.

Case in point, back about 4 years ago I was picking up a load in Livermore, CA, which is east of San Francisco and since the load was not ready yet I bobtailed down the street to the local Food 4 Less Supermarket to replenish some food supplies.

Since I was bobtailing I parked in the far end of the lot away from everyone and went inside for no more than 15 minutes.

When I came back outside I saw a piece of paper on my windshield which turned out to be a City of Livermore Parking Violation Ticket for $130.00 for Parking a Truck on Private Property.

I said what the hell, I went back inside the market and asked the Store Manager what was the deal with the ticket?, he said "he didn't have a problem with any trucks parking on the lot patronizing the business."

I went to the entrance of the lot and there was a small sign with Parking Regulation information and at the bottom in tiny lettering it said "No Trucks Allowed". I guess I missed the sign pulling into the driveway.

Well I guess that meant all Trucks, whether you were using your truck for personal transportation or for business was illegal to park there.

Well I made a vow to never go back to that city to deliver a load, and anywhere I go I check all signs in the lot for tiny print.

So, wherever you go never assume it's okay to park there even if you see other trucks there because you might come back with a rude awakening.

Americans and their Cities love what Trucks and Truckers bring to their Cities and stores, but once you deliver their goods, they want you Out of Sight and Out of Mind.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Just check with everyone involved ! Local cops, property owner, etc. I pull only over dimension loads but if it looks like I can go by the house I go (the girls in the permit department hate me) The manager of the bank where I park, in the back of the lot, very often comes out and says "Cool load, how the hell did you get it in here".
Old 02-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Senior Board Member

It wouldn't hurt to get it in writing, and notarized would be better.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Senior Board Member

I live in Rochester NY and have for most of my 50yrs I just found out that a CMV can only be parked for 6 hrs on a city street. Luckily they only enforce it when they have to plow snow or someone complains.
I just wonder about pick up trucks, in NY there'r registered as a cmv :roll:
Old 02-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete
I just wonder about pick up trucks, in NY there'r registered as a cmv :roll:
Same here in CA, but around my house they throw the axel or weight restrictions at you. No trucks over 3 axels or no trucks over a certain weight.