User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default At other Roadway/Yellow/ABF/ USF Terminals....

As I understand it, Roadway/Yellow/ABF and USF all work under the same national master freight agreement. At my terminal, we work under that agreement. We are all classified as "combo" employees on the seniority list. My problem is this, I have a start time of 7am along with 3 other men, one of which has more seniority than me, and one with less. 2 men with more seniority have an 8 am start, and 2 men with more seniority than me start at 9am. The problem is that the management along with all the men that start at 8 am and 9 am say that they are allowed to go home first in leu of completing the remaining outbound dockwork and short pedals because of their seniority. Thus, men who start an hour or 2 later than a 7am man, goes home first. Thus forcing me, the 7am man to work until the work is done, which usually means a 13 or 14 hour day. Don't get me wrong, I know I am in a very fortunate position, 1: working for a teamster company, and 2: working period. I just want to know if I am being walked on by senior men by their interpretation of " article 43" in the contract. It is my belief that men who start at a particular time should get to go home first based on their seniority as it pertains to men who start at the same time as them, not men who have later start times. Everytime I bring this up I am told that it has been this way forever and that its the way it is because of the contract. I have asked my union steward about this, (who is a senior man) and thats what he says. I am contemplating going up the chain in the union, but I want to see how it is at other terminals first and see what you guys have to say before I open up this can of worms. I wouldnt be making a stink about this, but its starting to get frustrating that I come in at 7am, and dont get to leave till 9pm and have to be back there at 7am to make my start time when someone who comes in at 9 am leaves at 6pm and doesnt have to come back in till 9am. Isnt the point of taking an earlier start time so that you can get out earlier? Also, its worth mentioning that I didnt take the 7am start time by choice, it was the only start time left on the bid list. I really dont wanna hear the whole, "your a Jr. man, so you should jus deal with it" I want to know how it is at other teamster LTL terminals. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:16 PM

... the line "don't rock the boat, especially when you're in it" comes to mind.

Paying your dues now, and showing that you can work without complaining to everyone else about it will help you advance in your seniority - and once you've got more seniority, and some new guy comes in and bitches about it you can tell them that you too used to hate it, but eventually it does get better.

If you make trouble for them, you can be assured that they will make trouble for you too. I've seen it happen many times - it's not right, but "it is what it is"

--Dave.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Rookie

Dave, as stated at the bottom of my message, I am fully aware of what you are saying. But like I said, I want to know the protocol at other terminals. The whole idea of paying dues in a union is for a fair work environment, and in my opinion, this isnt fair.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:39 PM

I hear ya man ... and I really didn't mean any offense.

I've worked several union jobs, warehouse - and it was nearly the exact same scenario that you're describing at your current employment. I saw guys get cut because they simply asked too many questions.

--Dave.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:32 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

I was curious to how those companies work, I have all of those terminals close to me and sometimes they have openings for part time dock worker/driver.

How does it all work? What is starting pay? Do you work part time for a few months or what? How long before you can get 40 hours/join the union?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I was curious to how those companies work, I have all of those terminals close to me and sometimes they have openings for part time dock worker/driver.

How does it all work? What is starting pay? Do you work part time for a few months or what? How long before you can get 40 hours/join the union?

Well first of all you have to have a my sh*t don't stink attitude like all these union truck drivers here have.
Second, you need to throw any work ethic you have out the window. Just sit around on your ass, whatever they tell you to do well thats not your job even if it involves driving.
Third, go buy some good chap stick. You have to be an ass kisser in these places just like CFM is.

Just a bunch of Sh*t bag LTL union carriers.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:44 PM

oh there you go again with your little bitterness towards people who are doing better then you young zw. Man it must suck going through life with such a bitter hate towards people who have better jobs then yourself. You must have really been dealt a bad hand in life. Sucks to be you I guess....
You may want to see someone about you hate issues, does your comapny have a good insurance plan. If not consider getting a union job, our plan is awesome just cost me $150 a month to cover my family and it is garenteed not to raise in price until JUly of 2013 how cool is that. Oh wait a minute you would not be able to handle it, forget i mentioned it and just go about your life... if you have one being on the road for so long...

Timberwolf
Old 02-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Board Regular

Yeah, your right on the money there timberwolf :roll: Just giving you guys that dog on OTR a taste of your own medicine. And you guys just cant handle it can ya?? No. So just go cry to your union rep about it and maybe he won't bend you over his desk today because you already have enough problems I guess. First of all I love my job and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I have a better life than you would ever now. Im not rich, Im not poor, and I'm just plain happy with my life.Not bitter towards anything just giving you guys what you give others. You all think that a guy can graduate from truck driving school and get on with a local, LTL carrier right away. And that is hardly ever the case. I dealt with a lot of LTL union guys at my old career and many of those guys were pleasant and hard working. Then there is guys like you and CFM that are just plain ass's and it shows your guys life. .CFM is never pleasant to anyone on here, and chimes in with remarks on OTR carriers all the time, but when I do it to you guys the shit hits the fan then.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRule65
Dave, as stated at the bottom of my message, I am fully aware of what you are saying. But like I said, I want to know the protocol at other terminals. The whole idea of paying dues in a union is for a fair work environment, and in my opinion, this isnt fair.
can't really help you out but thought I would throw my .02 in. thats the problem with unions its all based off seniority not on how well you do your job. in my opinion the guy with the later start time should stay later. pretty simple and basic to me. the problem with a union is just because a guy has been there longer he gets what he wants even if he is a lazy POS. unions cost the consumer more money because they don't allow a company to trim the "fat" and lower operating costs. I know everyone will say then the employees will get screwed. not true. how do thousands of other markets survive without unions. because employees have choices and can leave to get a better job. it forces companies to offer competitive wages and working environments. the only people that benefit from a union is the union.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:52 PM

Young ZW
I am happy with my life as well and am quite happy, I have two beautiful daughters and a great wife, and a granddaughter due to arrive in less then two months can't wait to meet her... I am not rich nor am I poor, I have money in the bank for emergencies and to help the kids if needed. I live in a modest Central Florida home with a pool in the back yard and no neighbors. I own three cars one of which is my pride and joy a 67 Mustang Fastback, 4 speed that I have owned for many many years. I have worked very hard each and every day of my life from the age of 15, my first 20 years after high school were spent in a hotel or restaurant kitchen feeding any where from 1 to 3000 people at any one sitting. I spent ALL Holidays and many weekends working in a kitchen at 70 to 80 hours every week until I decided I had enough and made the change to drive a truck. From day one of my schooling I knew I would not go OTR as I wanted a Monday to Friday job that would have me home on the holidays and the weekends, my instructors told it could happen, and it did right from school i went to work for Com Car in florida making piss poor money but living a happy life as I got to see my family more then i did when I was an Executive Chef. two years into this job I started filling out on line apps for UPS Frieght and was finally hired by them in July of 07 so yes it can be done with a little patience and being in the right place at the right time.
As far as dumping on OTR drivers not once have I done that in this forum, so you are making a huge assumption that all people on these boards dump on OTR drivers, I took offense to your dumping on the union so I responded as such. In life there is good and bad on both sides of the fence plain and simple if you are happy so be it, good for you, I am happy as well.... but dont assume that I am lazy just because I am choosing to work union.... when you lump all people into one group as you did in your post you are really showing your level of intelligence or ignorance which ever it may be... Come spend a day doing what I do and then tell my I am lazy if you like, but I know that wont be the case as I am a very hard and dedicated worker and I am very proud to look myself in the mirror and state that every night before I go to sleep. As the one person you can't lie to is yourself... the mirror tells all...

Timberwolf