User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Company and owed wages ?

Back in November I was dead headed to Dallas TX from Tulsa OK under the guise of no freight in OK ,and getting next load in Dallas TX ...when I arrived in Dallas TX I was terminated ,and had to rent a car to return to Colorado cost me about $250.00 the termination was basicly for hanging up the phone on my dispatcher while he was yealling at me , but they used a few petty things on record justify it ( oh and i can come back in 12 months yeah I'll be beating the door down)...

Now the questions the load I had that put me in Tulsa OK was about 950 total miles between DH /LD'D I turned these bills in on the 14th of NOV the day B4 my termination in Dallas ...I have yet to be paid this trip ,and have contacted Payroll only to get excuses ...Also Because i was Deadheaded to dallas For freight i would think I would be owed the miles for that as well.

now Werner did me no favors in my career then or now ,So my question is are OTR companies bound by the same legalities regarding termination and having the employees pay to him in the same time frame as any other business , As it's been over a month And I've still yet to see the monies they owe me .
Old 12-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

If you performed the work you have to be paid. The only gray area I see is the DH to Dallas. They owe you for 950 miles and they are hoping you'll just forget about it. I'd send them a certified letter stating that you'll give them x number of days to pay you before you go see a lawyer.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 12-22-2007, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
If you performed the work you have to be paid. The only gray area I see is the DH to Dallas. They owe you for 950 miles and they are hoping you'll just forget about it. I'd send them a certified letter stating that you'll give them x number of days to pay you before you go see a lawyer.
Forget a lawyer, check with your State Labor Board. They might be able to put a little fire under their payroll dept.

Creek
Old 12-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Forget a lawyer, check with your State Labor Board. They might be able to put a little fire under their payroll dept.
Only problem with that is that you may very well be dealing with multi-state jurisdictions as well as laws.

Your best bet is to file a complaint with both the labor department in your home state as well as with the state the company is based out of.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
Only problem with that is that you may very well be dealing with multi-state jurisdictions as well as laws.

Your best bet is to file a complaint with both the labor department in your home state as well as with the state the company is based out of.

Yeah, Uturn has this one-- you contact the State labor board where the Company resides, and your state's employment office.
You got conned into taking a 'verbal dispatch' to deadhead into the terminal?
or was there a trip number sent via qual-com? You shouldn't ever move that
truck more miles than to the nearest truckstop( for personal reasons) without a dispatch(load number). As for the other unpaid trip---you got your logs? maybe even a copy of the B.O.L. with your signature on it?
Contact the labor board, and get a case# then contact the company- inform them that you have a case# and that you are taking that down to your local judge and gonna slap a lien against that truck.
Also, I'm not sure about the laws in Colorado, but In Arkansas--you can not be denied unemployment if terminated. You did get a pink slip(proof of termination) from them at the time of firing right? How long of a paid vacation did you get to 'enjoy'?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Senior Board Member

If they deadheaded you to Dallas, they should pay you. Thats muy opinion, but I dunno if it will work. The rest of the miles you are definitely owed.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:35 PM

Was the truck clean when you turned it in?They can hold back a certain amount of your check for cleaning.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler2007
Was the truck clean when you turned it in?They can hold back a certain amount of your check for cleaning.
No they Can't. Only the government can garnish your wages, unless you agree with the company to do so. Check your documents that you signed when you were hired.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Maybe you will get lucky and run across a Werner truck that has run out of fuel on the side of the road. Just offer to sell them some fuel at $100 a gallon with a 10 gallon minimum purchase. All kidding aside, you were given some good advice by earlier posters. Take the high road and use the system to your advantage. And as far as the leaving the truck clean, my advice to all drivers would be to keep a video camera with you at all times so if you are booted out of a truck and you left it clean you have undisputable evidence to show a judge when and if you need to sue your previous employer. I had a friend who managed the apartment building we lived in. When he moved out the owners and management company raked him over the coals. When I moved out, we rented a video camera and I filmed every square inch of the place and held a current newspaper in frame in each room to prove the date. When we dropped off the keys, we informed the management company they had 10 days to refund our security deposit. They balked about it until I told them I had videotaped the inside and could prove it was in better condidtion than when we moved in. Had a check in a week for the full deposit.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler2007

clean I keep the interior of my trucks clean in almost an OCD manner ...so they should have no issues there .