Old 12-23-2007, 05:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

well that comes to 1203 practical miles/ 1191 HHG

so, @ .45cpm= $541.35

to get those sat records from qual-com would take a court order, now you're
talking paying for a lawyer.

I'm thinking you might just have to chalk this one up as a learning experience and move on.......big business wins again....

What did they do when you got the truck back to the yard? let the air out of your tires-- demand the keys? did they make you clean out your truck on the gravel lot? That's were that 2nd set of keys comes in---I'd be taking the truck bob-tail to the nearest self-storage and unloading.
Of course with my 'attitude' I keep as far away from the yard as possible, only drop by unannounced and just as I need/have to. Whenever I'm
asked to come by to pick up or drop a trailer off- I'm on guard.
Usually I won't bring a loaded into Yard, without first asking/ getting a load
offer OFF the yard or Next load assignment.

They never tell a driver- he's being fired until they have the truck secure---in the old days we kept spare valve cores and a air hose to air the tires back up. Companies had to wait until you made your check-call, then they'd come up with some excuse to keep you hanging around there-
and call the truckstop manager to do their dirty work-pulling the valve cores----there's also a fuse they can pull(if they have access to the cab).
Old 12-23-2007, 06:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg

so, @ .45cpm= $541.35

I'm thinking you might just have to chalk this one up as a learning experience and move on.......big business wins again....

What did they do when you got the truck back to the yard? let the air out of your tires-- demand the keys? did they make you clean out your truck on the gravel lot? That's were that 2nd set of keys comes in---I'd be taking the truck bob-tail to the nearest self-storage and unloading.
Of course with my 'attitude' I keep as far away from the yard as possible, only drop by unannounced and just as I need/have to. Whenever I'm

They never tell a driver- he's being fired until they have the truck secure---in the old days we kept spare valve cores and a air hose to air the tires back up. Companies had to wait until you made your check-call, then they'd come up with some excuse to keep you hanging around there-
and call the truckstop manager to do their dirty work-pulling the valve cores----there's also a fuse they can pull(if they have access to the cab).

Nope I knew I was getting fired B/C right after I hung the phone up the message popped up immediately to dead head to Dallas for my next load due to no freight in Oklahoma ...I'm not stupid...So I drove to Dallas ,and topped off the truck at the Pilot ,And locked it up debating on weather or not to just drive back to Colorado ,and turn the keys in there or go into the terminal in Dallas ,and just let them have their fun...I chose to go into the terminal so they couldn't charge me with un authorized use of equipment And wentin on foot leaving the truck parked at the Pilot ...I arrived ,and asked If I needed to see safety they said yes ,And when I entered the safety office they put my FM's row supervisor on the phone and he rudely spoke to me telling me basicly that I was a POS ,and I was terminated ...Then I had my fun they told me I could get my stiff out of the truck ,and I said I'd have to go get the truck first...PANIC....was in this mans eyes as he axiously asked "WHERE IS THE TRUCK" I said at the Flying-J whicj is not on Werner property like the PILOT knowing he would flip out ,and after watching him sweat it out trying to Figure out how he was going to get the truck ,back as they would need a person with a CDL to get it ,and none of them have this ...And then I said oh I meant the PILOT ..They took my keys..my Fuel card...My ID badge ,and we drove over to the PILOT where they drove it back to the Terminal which is all werner property including the lot the PILOT sits on .

If I'm to be screwed out of my earnings plus what was done to me on that day I will use the fact I know where my FM lives to his dis-advantage ,and remind him I wrestled at a state level ,and loved to BOx and street fight in addition to bein able to bench press about 400lbs at 5'6 240lbs ...And well he doesn't match up , But no man is above an ass whooping ...I keep talking myself out of this every time I'm turned down by a carrier for nothing but this termination .
Old 12-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Big Jeep, I thought you left Werner in back at the end of Sept...when you had problems getting on PTO and emptying your truck out. You were taking PTO to look for another job.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...010&highlight=

I must of lost continuity between then and now. Apparently you didnt find another job and went back to Werner.

Again its going to seem like Im coming down on you, but I cannot figure out why you are having such problems with Werner.

Quote:
termination was basicly for hanging up the phone on my dispatcher while he was yelling at me ,
Why was your dispatcher yelling at you on the phone? There should be no reason for that, unless he/she has a reason (not to condone yelling or losing ones temper). I have to assume you dispatcher was mad at you.

Quote:
but they used a few petty things on record justify it ( oh and i can come back in 12 months yeah I'll be beating the door down)...
Safety used a few "petty things" to terminate you. Im smelling something fishy here, although I do believe what your saying, it seems to me that there is a recurring problem with you, at Werner. These "petty things" have added up to enough that they could use them to terminate you. Angering your dispatch, then hanging up on him/her was enough to put you over the edge with Werner.

Quote:
Now the questions the load I had that put me in Tulsa OK was about 950 total miles between DH /LD'D I turned these bills in on the 14th of NOV the day B4 my termination in Dallas
Of course you should be paid for this trip, advise givin to this point from other poster seems sound. However read on.....

Quote:
Also Because i was Deadheaded to dallas For freight i would think I would be owed the miles for that as well.
Like was stated you should have gotten this documented on the Qualcom before you DH'd to Dallas.

Im going to give you some abbreviated information from the company handbook regarding you unpaid trip, it may be helpful. On page 1.15 of the April 07 handbook, titled "ACCOUNTING COMPLAINT PROCEDURES"...

"Employees may confidentially and anonymously report concerns regarding questionable accounting, internal accounting controls or auditing matters by mailing your complaint or concern to:

Audit Committe Chairman
P.O. Box 34043
Omaha, Ne. 69134-0043

Any such complaint should identify the practices that are alleged to constitiute improper accounting, internal auditing control, or practices and should provide as much detail as possible. If an employee would like to discuss any matter with the Audit Committe, the employee should indicate this in the submission and include a telephone number or e-mail address at which he or she might be contacted......"

May be helpful, who knows.

Regarding the $400 bond. Again from the drivers handbook, pg 1.6...

"Approximately 90 days after the drivers last date of employment, the Company will issue a bond deposit refund check to the driver....."

"....If a Company driver completes five years of service with the Company, the Company Driver Bond Deposit will be refunded to the driver..."
(I receive mine back (in full) exactly on the 5 year anniversary, without any followup or prompting from me)

Hopefully these tidbits from the handbook will be helpful to you. Its a real good idea to read it from time to time, it helps with understanding how a company operates.

Ive been with Werner long enough and understand how they operate. I believe they do not intentionally "screw" drivers. More often than not, and this is true with any company, drivers "screw" themselves thinking a company should be handing the driver everything on a "silver platter". You want to succeed at Werner or ANY company, pull your self up by your own "Bootstraps" and do it. Never expect any handouts. (Just general advise, not pointing fingers).
Old 12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg

so, @ .45cpm= $541.35

Nope I knew I was getting fired B/C right after I hung the phone up the message popped up immediately to dead head to Dallas for my next load due to no freight in Oklahoma ...I'm not stupid...So I drove to Dallas ,and topped off the truck at the Pilot ,And locked it up debating on weather or not to just drive back to Colorado ,and turn the keys in there or go into the terminal in Dallas ,and just let them have their fun...I chose to go into the terminal so they couldn't charge me with un authorized use of equipment And wentin on foot leaving the truck parked at the Pilot ...I arrived ,and asked If I needed to see safety they said yes ,And when I entered the safety office they put my FM's row supervisor on the phone and he rudely spoke to me telling me basicly that I was a POS ,and I was terminated ...Then I had my fun they told me I could get my stiff out of the truck ,and I said I'd have to go get the truck first...PANIC....was in this mans eyes as he axiously asked "WHERE IS THE TRUCK" I said at the Flying-J whicj is not on Werner property like the PILOT knowing he would flip out ,and after watching him sweat it out trying to Figure out how he was going to get the truck ,back as they would need a person with a CDL to get it ,and none of them have this ...And then I said oh I meant the PILOT ..They took my keys..my Fuel card...My ID badge ,and we drove over to the PILOT where they drove it back to the Terminal which is all werner property including the lot the PILOT sits on .

If I'm to be screwed out of my earnings plus what was done to me on that day I will use the fact I know where my FM lives to his dis-advantage ,and remind him I wrestled at a state level ,and loved to BOx and street fight in addition to bein able to bench press about 400lbs at 5'6 240lbs ...And well he doesn't match up , But no man is above an ass whooping ...I keep talking myself out of this every time I'm turned down by a carrier for nothing but this termination .
That was pretty good thinking, but---I think I'd left the office with them THINKING the rig was right out side on THEIR property--that way you could return to the truck- and bob-tail it somewhere like self-storage, clean
all your PERSONAL effects out( I carry WAY to much stuff it stick in the back of a taxi) Then return the empty truck to them.

JBHUNT tried to lure me back to the Dallas terminal the day i quit them- New's Year's EVE- they had promised to get me home to Lowell, Ar I had plans reseverations at a party at the Hilton( a date). They kept 'asking' me to bounce back over there from Santa Fa Rail head (west haslet, tx) to
look for a empty- meanwhile dozens of drivers were coming in there- saying there were no emptys at the yard. I asked several times for them to authorize the movement--(no pay expected) I gave them until Noon- then put the Bob-tail in the wind- bobtailed 350miles back to home terminal(Lowell) and cleaned 'er out.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Big Jeep, I thought you left Werner in back at the end of Sept...when you had problems getting on PTO and emptying your truck out. You were taking PTO to look for another job.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...010&highlight=

I must of lost continuity between then and now. Apparently you didnt find another job and went back to Werner.

Again its going to seem like Im coming down on you, but I cannot figure out why you are having such problems with Werner.

Quote:
termination was basicly for hanging up the phone on my dispatcher while he was yelling at me ,

Why was your dispatcher yelling at you on the phone? There should be no reason for that, unless he/she has a reason (not to condone yelling or losing ones temper). I have to assume you dispatcher was mad at you.

Quote:
but they used a few petty things on record justify it ( oh and i can come back in 12 months yeah I'll be beating the door down)...
Safety used a few "petty things" to terminate you. Im smelling something fishy here, although I do believe what your saying, it seems to me that there is a recurring problem with you, at Werner. These "petty things" have added up to enough that they could use them to terminate you. Angering your dispatch, then hanging up on him/her was enough to put you over the edge with Werner.

Quote:
Now the questions the load I had that put me in Tulsa OK was about 950 total miles between DH /LD'D I turned these bills in on the 14th of NOV the day B4 my termination in Dallas
Of course you should be paid for this trip, advise givin to this point from other poster seems sound. However read on.....

Quote:
Also Because i was Deadheaded to dallas For freight i would think I would be owed the miles for that as well.
Like was stated you should have gotten this documented on the Qualcom before you DH'd to Dallas.

Im going to give you some abbreviated information from the company handbook regarding you unpaid trip, it may be helpful. On page 1.15 of the April 07 handbook, titled "ACCOUNTING COMPLAINT PROCEDURES"...

"Employees may confidentially and anonymously report concerns regarding questionable accounting, internal accounting controls or auditing matters by mailing your complaint or concern to:

Audit Committe Chairman
P.O. Box 34043
Omaha, Ne. 69134-0043

Any such complaint should identify the practices that are alleged to constitiute improper accounting, internal auditing control, or practices and should provide as much detail as possible. If an employee would like to discuss any matter with the Audit Committe, the employee should indicate this in the submission and include a telephone number or e-mail address at which he or she might be contacted......"

May be helpful, who knows.

Regarding the $400 bond. Again from the drivers handbook, pg 1.6...

"Approximately 90 days after the drivers last date of employment, the Company will issue a bond deposit refund check to the driver....."

"....If a Company driver completes five years of service with the Company, the Company Driver Bond Deposit will be refunded to the driver..."
(I receive mine back (in full) exactly on the 5 year anniversary, without any followup or prompting from me)

Hopefully these tidbits from the handbook will be helpful to you. Its a real good idea to read it from time to time, it helps with understanding how a company operates.

Ive been with Werner long enough and understand how they operate. I believe they do not intentionally "screw" drivers. More often than not, and this is true with any company, drivers "screw" themselves thinking a company should be handing the driver everything on a "silver platter". You want to succeed at Werner or ANY company, pull your self up by your own "Bootstraps" and do it. Never expect any handouts. (Just general advise, not pointing fingers).

Nope what they used was the following...

I had 2 preventables in 2.3 years

1 rubbed my bumper on a dot bar...$100.00 damage

2. A customer claimed I knocked over a jersey barrier...Never happened ,and the pictures of a damage free Cenrury should have proved it...But they put it on my DAXC as UNDETERMINED ...But charged...

Lates ...

1. Cjharged for being lat with owens corning load in tolleson Arizona I arrived at 0730 for the 0800 appt the customers time ,And my dispatcher hit me with a late saying it was 0830...He is unaware of Arizona not observing Daylight savings time...Even my bills were signed 0800..Yet I was dinged with a late.

2. I was sitting in maryland at the T/A I think it was ELKTON MD ...And then the morning I was to pick up they send me a pick up location for an MT ...Well they decided to send me back up to Jersey for this MT ...Well that means congestion on my way up ,and congestion plus road construction back down plus 100 miles added to the tri[p making on time pick up not possible I informed dispatch this was not going to work ,and asked for MT assignment out of sears in Baltimore as it waas in route I was told no The result of this retarded MT retreival was late to pick up as mostly due to the road construction on the way down out of Jersey ,And this caused late delivery ...I WAS DINGED FOR BOTH .

3. I was sent to Katy TX to pick up a load at igloo However I was not going to have time to get on time after my break I informed dispatch of this well in advance ,and gave them an ETA of 0930 the APPT was 0800 ,And I was told that would have to do...Well I got there at 0930 ,And was denied being loaded on that monday at 0930 as I was late...But not for 1.5 hrs ...It appears this load supposed to be picked up on the previous Friday ,and Werner never rescedueled for Monday ,So be it 0800 or whenever that monday Werner had no dock time schedueled ,and it requires 24hr advanced notice for pick up...I was dinged with a late ,and yet we did not even have a load appointment set up with IGLOO.

Unprofessional use of the qualcom

4. on a few occasions well many I had been sent o shippers with pick up numbers that are NO GOOD ,and it took 12-14 hours to get a good one and get the load ,and I was sitting for 150 miles loads for 14+ hours due to werner not having the right info ...Well I was never compensated for this time ,So eventually when this happened I asked my dispatcher top send over the !Qualcom what my compensation would be for the time lost ,As he had given amounts over the phone before that never showed on my check....Result I was scrutinized for unprofessional use of the Quialcom... :wink:

5. on a a hand full of occasions I had picked up loads out the Tunkhannock P/G site , And you can't weigh these loads until you reack the Petro in scranton ...Well on few occasions they were loaded in a way that put me over by about 5k lbs on my trailer ,And I had to return to get re-worked ,and it took them about 8 hours to do it ,So between the rework ,and extra drive time I've wasted atleast 10 hrs , And I had asked my FM what my compensation would be ,And he over the qualcom said he would adjust it ...Well the first time I never saw any adjustment on my check ,So I called my FM ,and asked why not he said he did not see I had any extra time involved on the load...Because I sat there on line 2 ...Well the next time it happened I logged line 4 so he would see my tim,e in it ,and the result was I had no time to haul the load after sitting on line 4 for 7+ hours ...the result was a bacl anf forth qualcom messages regarding my ti me spent at this facility for a poorly loaded over weight trailer ,aqnd what my compensation would be I could not get him to commit to a Dollar amount over the qualcom , And I was dinged with unprofessional use of the qualcom...I never swore on it just simply kept stating the facts of the situation regarding the load ,and pay I thought I was due for my time... At Werner they don't seem to like a driver that thinks his time is worth something ,And feel discussing that time over the Qualcom is unprofessional .

6. Then you have my NON preventable accidents they tossed in for good measure.

1. March 2006 while parked on my 10 hr break at the T/A in Boise ID I went into the T/A to showeer ,and returned to find the truck had been hit by another truck ...I had witness ,.and truck was legal parked ...Non chargable ....But they brought it up as part of the termination reason ...

2. September 2006 I pulled a pre loaded trailer out of a customers dock ,and the securement latch broke off the door while turning out of the hole ,and the door swiped the day cab next to me ...because I was pretty much out of the hole and bent at about a 70 degree angle I could not see this take place...Luckily the the driver of the day saw what happened ,and gave testimony over the phone ,So I was not charged ...

3. July 2007 Hit a deer at night on U-160 headed west bound through the hills of Pagosa springs Colorado on my way to Gallup NM . I was traveling at a speed of 55MPH i n a 65 MPH the deep came up from the south side of the highway at a distance of about 100 ft in front of me ...best I could was try to slow down...tresult was a cracked bumper on the 387 no machanical nothing serious ...

4.October 25 2007 After having the local deal fall out from under me I went back to WERNER ,And got issued a T-600 ,which had been turn in for transmission problems ,So I decided to bobtail it to my house to get the rest of belongings as a test run for the truck ...I live in the mountains of Colorado in Bailey at about 8800FT off US 285 ...well I got my stuff and headed back to the terminal it was after dark ,and on my way through the canyon on US 285 a small group of deep on the south side of the highway got spooked by traffic and ran acrossd the road infront of me I was bobtail doing 45MPH in a 55MPH ,but still swiped a small DOE cracking the drovers side fender ...I drove the truck for about 10 days and had it fixed in Omaha...

Every incident I've ever had that resulted in damages to the truck that were NON preventable I turned as it was company policy ,But most people don't turn this in ,and just leave the truck damaged ...I made a mistake ,As I turned in these last few deal thinking I should be good ,as they weren't my fault ...But like I said PETTY SHIT is what Werner used to justify firing me .

As for the Drivers hand book and accounting Disputes ...Those are for Employees ...The day I was terminated that handbook means nothing to me as I'm no longer part of that company or their policy/prcedures...infact when an employee is terminated by law they are supposed to have all due wages to you in a reasonable time frame. not 30 days or more ,And it's not the terminated employees responsibility to remind them or dispute this through accounting claims... :wink: