User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 02:50 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Another aspiring new jack soliciting opinions...

National Distributors Leasing based out of Sellersburg, IN

I'm considering this company. Here's what they offer:

* Eight Week Advanced Training Program
* Mileage Pay (Loaded & Empty) once complete Training
* Assigned Trucks
* Average length of haul 980 miles
* Medical Insurance
* Dental Insurance
* Life Insurance
* Short Term Disability Insurance
* Vacation Pay
* High Mile Bonus
* Driver Referral Bonus
* Rider Policy
* Pet Policy
* Direct Deposit
* Orientation and Training Pay
* In-Cab Communication

Sounds like the usual bells and whistles, but allow me to elaborate on some of these key points:

8 week training program is broken down like this:

2 weeks classroom,range, paperwork, etc.
6 weeks with a trainer-2 weeks training, meaning that the truck is NOT run as a team; the next 2 weeks the truck runs as a "semi-team" as the recruiter phrased it; the last 2 weeks the truck runs as a team.

Training pay is $350 per week gross. Upon completion of training, starting pay is .32 per mile, with .03 per mile bonus for all miles after 11k per month; this bonus is paid monthly. Raises are yearly at .01 increments.

OTR is out every 10-14 days and off 2 (you earn 1 day off per week, I believe); Regional fleet is out 5 days and home 2.

I was told that average miles for either OTR or regional are about 2500 to 2800 weekly (of course, less if it's during slow times, etc.) and the averages are similar between OTR and regional.

They do NOT offer tuition reimbursement because of 'paying among the highest in the industry starting out'. This part kinda sucks, but if this is a good situation then it's well worth it starting out.

After doing a lot of research on here it seems that this wouldn't be too bad of a deal. It would be easier to have a mega-carrier pay my way in exchange for indentured servitude. I like the way the time with the trainer is structured (based on what I was told). For 2 weeks, the trainer sits up front with you while you drive and after that it transitions to team driving which, as it seems, will allow you time to hone your skills. I wasn't too thrilled with the prospect of team training right out of school like I read in some of these posts. This will, in theory, allow me to get used to everything then after 2 weeks start taking on more under the watchful eye of the trainer.

Opinions?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

They're all the same. Only difference is the color of the truck and DOT# on the door. No shortage of cut-rate outfits paying .32 cpm (NOT off the hub) to live out of a box.

RUN from irregular-route over-the-road trucking. It's full of burn jobs: log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50. No life. Hostile 3AM warehouse deliveries. Freebies galore. No place to park. Forgoing showers and hot meals. DOT. Hometime a roll of the dice. Poor diet/health. Worthless 401k/health bennies. Exorbitant truckstop prices. Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Get a full-time job at $12 bucks an hour and flip burgers part-time for $8.00/hr, sleep in your own bed everynight, and you'll come out alot farther than dwelling out of the big truck for weeks on end.

Just walk through any big-city truckstop and look at the dregs on display 24/7 for all to see. Walking around with half of last night's buffett on their shirts. Awhile back, my girlfriend made the mistake of stopping at a Pilot to fuel-up her 4-wheeler. She couldn't believe the comments, foul language, lack of hygeine, etc from supposed grown, mature "professionals".

Don't get me wrong. There's alot of decent, hard-working men and women driving truck OTR and I respect the job they do. But they're overshadowed by all the felons, thieves, and hobos who are drawn to the industry like moths to a flame. Turn on the CB for 10 minutes and listen to Sesame Street and you'll see what I mean. Remember, you're judged by the company you keep. That's why the public has such a low-down, dirty image of truckdrivers.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
They're all the same. Only difference is the color of the truck and DOT# on the door. No shortage of cut-rate outfits paying .32 cpm (NOT off the hub) to live out of a box.

RUN from irregular-route over-the-road trucking. It's full of burn jobs: log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50. No life. Hostile 3AM warehouse deliveries. Freebies galore. No place to park. Forgoing showers and hot meals. DOT. Hometime a roll of the dice. Poor diet/health. Worthless 401k/health bennies. Exorbitant truckstop prices. Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Get a full-time job at $12 bucks an hour and flip burgers part-time for $8.00/hr, sleep in your own bed everynight, and you'll come out alot farther than dwelling out of the big truck for weeks on end.

Just walk through any big-city truckstop and look at the dregs on display 24/7 for all to see. Walking around with half of last night's buffett on their shirts. Awhile back, my girlfriend made the mistake of stopping at a Pilot to fuel-up her 4-wheeler. She couldn't believe the comments, foul language, lack of hygeine, etc from supposed grown, mature "professionals".

Don't get me wrong. There's alot of decent, hard-working men and women driving truck OTR and I respect the job they do. But they're overshadowed by all the felons, thieves, and hobos who are drawn to the industry like moths to a flame. Turn on the CB for 10 minutes and listen to Sesame Street and you'll see what I mean. Remember, you're judged by the company you keep. That's why the public has such a low-down, dirty image of truckdrivers.
If you're so against the American truck driver, out to make a living and do their chosen profession, WHY ARE YOU HERE?????
Old 11-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The World is much bigger than New England, where people say "hello" to each other with the middle finger. :lol:

The Trucking Industry is World wide. In some locations, the Driver is respected.
But isn't this entire society loosing respect and decency, no matter what shoes you walk in? Lets bash with equality. :lol: :?

I ran a Construction business before Driving, and worked long hours...because I was a hands-on tradesman, and did my bidding/estimation work after hours, and my own daily bookwork, scheduling, and etc. You will find many small business owners work long hours.

I have two older sisters. One owns a Tool & Die shop, and she works many hours every week, to keep things in the black. My oldest sister was a Quality Control Engineer for an International Company, and worked 70+ hours a week.

There are many people who work 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, and might appreciate being able to make the bills with one job.

Trucking could use some perspective, especially from it's skilled tradesmen. There is no denying this job is difficult, and not for everyone. But that assumption applies in many other trades as well.

If you can work at what you enjoy, then the days are less stressful. We are for the most part all over-worked and under-paid, no matter what brand of mustard is on your shirt or tie. :lol:
Old 11-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

I think he is here to give the newbies knowledge about that the trucking industry the recruiters forgot to mention.

More Drivers less Pay.......
Old 11-27-2007, 11:09 PM

I know that any job has days-or even weeks- where you just want to walk into work with a shotgun, sit in a corner and start cleaning it in front of everyone while saying "I REALLY hope I have a good day today" with a big insane grin on your face...

Seriously, I'm looking to get my CDL within the next 2-3 months...I'd love to get a good local gig but I realize that I may have to pay my dues, not to mention the fact that the job market here sucks...I'm just trying to find a good company to start off with. It would be great if I can find a local gig out of school...

Quote:
If you can work at what you enjoy, then the days are less stressful. We are for the most part all over-worked and under-paid, no matter what brand of mustard is on your shirt or tie. Laughing
I agree wholeheartedly...
Old 12-01-2007, 04:21 PM

CFM is a dick, here to tighten the sterotype of the truck driver. if you drive a truck and don't eat right, and don't shower it is your own fault...not the industry or the company. why does CFM paint such a bad picture? because is was to much of a puss to handle it.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug

I am new to the trucking industry, but certainly not a stranger to the workplace environment.
And there is not a shadow of a doubt in my military mind that I will never post such a derougatory assessment (as the above) of my own occupation. Because by the time I started feeling that way I would be gone doing something else.
Sometimes one needs to realize that it is OK to change your mind and go a different direction.
:wink:
Creek
Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Jedfxg you are a gem. Everyone should be informed about the negative side of the business. Of course you would insult someone that has a differing opinion.

CFM is right. There is an ugly side to the business. I have only been out there a month or so and have seen some nasty stuff. Bottles full of pi$$ thrown out of windows, in New Jersey someone took a :dung: in a plastic bag and left it in the t/s parking lot. If you want to hear the most ignorant, bigoted chat in the world, just keep the CB on channel 19 for a few minutes. It kind of makes you think why would you want to be associated with these people?

On the other hand if you need to gain experience before going local go for it. That is what I'm doing.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86

If you're so against the American truck driver, ??
There's not many Americans left.