User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree with CFM 100%. He is just tryin to give a newbie a heads up of what it is really like. Drivin OTR.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

but it is not really as bad as CFM paints it to be. maybe it was for him...probably not, but maybe. i understand informing some of the negatives but to say it the way he does and as often is not necessary. i have done it, and i did not like it, but it was not near what he makes it...not even close.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
but it is not really as bad as CFM paints it to be. maybe it was for him...probably not, but maybe. i understand informing some of the negatives but to say it the way he does and as often is not necessary. i have done it, and i did not like it, but it was not near what he makes it...not even close.
I can run local about 10 -12 hours a day and take home 4 to 500 a week or I can run on the road and be home every weekend and a couple times during the week( with the same company) and take home 800 to 1000 a week, guess which one I chose
Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
I can run local about 10 -12 hours a day and take home 4 to 500 a week or I can run on the road and be home every weekend and a couple times during the week( with the same company) and take home 800 to 1000 a week, guess which one I chose
Same here - local drivers make AT BEST $10/hour. That's $400/week. I drink that much Coca-Cola in a weeks time - LOL
Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

well fredog sounds like you didnt have a good local job.
It really depends on where you live. I know there is alot of union outfits by me that pay 21-23/hr for a tri axle dump truck driver. Non-union out fits pay around 17-20/hr. OT over 40. To me ytou cant beat gettin paid by the hour. I think my time is worth something. But i forgot when you drive OTR its part of the job.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
there arent any good jobs around here period. I thought I was done with driving altogether, But I got screwed by Sears, that's another story, we have local work pulling a dump and road work pulling a tanker, the tanker is easier on the body and pays a lot better and is steadier. so I decided to stay with it.
I live in the boonies ( 40 miles from the nearest Walmart) so the choices are few, this company is 8 miles from home and very informal. we have all pete 379's and the owner does all the dispatching. for a truck driving job, it's pretty good
Old 12-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
It really depends on where you live. I know there is alot of union outfits by me that pay 21-23/hr for a tri axle dump truck driver. Non-union out fits pay around 17-20/hr. OT over 40. To me ytou cant beat gettin paid by the hour. I think my time is worth something. But i forgot when you drive OTR its part of the job.
Don't get me wrong - I'd LOVE to have a local job - sleep in my bed every night, not having people yelling at me because I'm running the truck while I sleep when it's 20f outside, etc. But where I live I just can't afford to drive local.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Ditto....here in N. Michigan, local jobs are at a premium. You have to marry the Boss' ugly sister to even submit an application. :? ...and that's only if you beat her cousin to the alter. :evil:

I've been trying for a local job for ? good three years or so.
I apply maybe 10+ jobs every year...when they come up, and some places I rattle their door regular.

I know that doesn't sound like a lot of applications, but it is for where I live!

I was finally on the top of the hire list for our County Road Commission. I sat on top for 4 years,,, and soon as someone quit, died, or retired...I'd be in....then last year they cut the budget....laid off almost 1/2 the crew.
If any jobs will be available...they all are on the list above me....hahahahaha

...F^%$!~ ME. :evil:
Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
Ditto....here in N. Michigan, local jobs are at a premium. You have to marry the Boss' ugly sister to even submit an application. :? ...and that's only if you beat her cousin to the alter. :evil:

I've been trying for a local job for ? good three years or so.
I apply maybe 10+ jobs every year...when they come up, and some places I rattle their door regular.

I know that doesn't sound like a lot of applications, but it is for where I live!

I was finally on the top of the hire list for our County Road Commission. I sat on top for 4 years,,, and soon as someone quit, died, or retired...I'd be in....then last year they cut the budget....laid off almost 1/2 the crew.
If any jobs will be available...they all are on the list above me....hahahahaha

...F^%$!~ ME. :evil:
one time a jb recruiter called and said he had a dedicated run from my area that would get me home every night, then he asked me where I lived.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Same here - local drivers make AT BEST $10/hour. That's $400/week. I drink that much Coca-Cola in a weeks time - LOL
:?:
It all depends on the area you live in. Some local jobs to pay far less then OTR and some pay alot more.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE