User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Employment History Question.

Hi,

I'm a new driver who has been under contract w/CRST. Well, contracts up now and looking to drive solo somewhere. All the companies that I've looked at require a 10 yr employment history. My first proper, over the table job was in 2004. How much of a handicap do you think this will be in my search? I'd hate to think that I'm doomed to team driving for the foreseeable future, and I'd really like to avoid a lateral move. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is the Feds who require carriers and employers to collect a 10 year employment history. Most carriers will at least check the last 3 years. More if something shows up on your history. It isn't that you need to have driven for 10 years but put down a 10 year work history. If you have not been employed during any of that time, you still need to account for the time. For instance, if you were in school during part of that time, then you should show that on the application.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Board Regular

were you self employed, unemployed?

the key is, to be creative. if you were at home for a few years raising the kids, tell them that.
best thing to do is to be honest and thourough in your application, they can and will find out.
fill out the apps, and see where it goes.
i got on with ABF even with some short term jobs, some self employment and almost a tear of unemployment. ABF is very tight on their hiring process, especially since i had no experience and they had to invest thousands in out of state training and lodging.

good luck
Old 12-04-2007, 02:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Companies are only going to verify two things.

Everything you have done in the last 3 years and all driving jobs in the last 10 years.

Just provide a complete, chronological list of everything you have done in the last 10 years and make sure you can verify every item the last 3 years. Do not leave any gaps in your employment history longer than 30 days. Anything over that and you will have to find someway to verify it if it happened in the last 3 years.

Any periods of unemployment, self employment, or schooling that happened and ended more than 3 years ago you only need to list on the application.

How to verify employment:

Through the employer. Company will call and verify that you worked there during the time you say you did.
By check stubs if the employer went out of business.
Letter from former owner or supervisor if company is no longer operating.

How to verify school:
Transcripts and diplomas or company may be able to call school to verify time spent there, especially for schooling such as CDL course.

How to verify everything else:
Unemployment records if you were collecting benefits
Tax records if you were self employed.
Notorized letters from friends, business associates, doctors, lawyers, preachers, etc who are able and willing to verify what you were doing during any specific period of time.

Finally, you will not be stuck team driving. 99% of trucking companies out there are only going to be looking at where and for how long you were driving, not if it was team or solo.