User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default use tire chains going down the hill?

Recently, I saw trucks with their chains on going down a hill even though chains were only required to the top of the hill. In my opinion, the descent looked safe to drive without chains, though there was snowpack at the top but clear roads as one drove farther down. I'm just wondering what some opinions are on this. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Depending on the area there may not be a safe place to unchain at the top of the hill. Also given the time involved with chaining many drivers will leave their chains on until they get through the pass and the road fully clears.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Senior Board Member

what goes up, must come down.....i think the guy was wise to leave 'em on til he was DOWN the HILL...if you think about it ..it's only logical....the chains are needed more to safely decend a slick hill than climb one...
lets say you start up a grade....you get traction half way up the hill then start to loose traction..THEN & THERE it's time to pull over and chain up. But, many drivers never realize (a) they are loosing traction or (b) figure they'll be able to make it on up to the top! It only takes 20 feet of ice....to jack-knife a tractor/trailer sliding BACKWARD down a incline......now coming down the Hill is completely different....it could be ice all the way to the bottom and gravity isn't on your side......there's no such thing as simply sliding backward 20 feet managing to keep 'er streight and finding that dry patch you just rolled across.

Plan ahead....watch the weather forcast..

REMEMBER!

ICE NO-DICE, SNOW GO SLOW

IF IT'S TIME TO CHAIN, IT'S TIME TO PARK THE RIG

the only time i would ever chain my rig, is if I stuck between passes(would otherwise be stuck there several days) or at the top of one when they throw up the lights or get caught mid-climb.

You can route yourself around these problems....or try to time it right(with luck)
Remember, it's a catch-22. EVEN if you chain up and are completely legal and trying to do it safe and get that load there on time. Murphy's Law is a bitch....even with chains on- "the :dung: can hit the fan" and that safely department will still rule it a preventable accident...cause YOU should have used better judgement and PARKED THE TRUCK!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: use tire chains going down the hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplurubus
Recently, I saw trucks with their chains on going down a hill even though chains were only required to the top of the hill. In my opinion, the descent looked safe to drive without chains, though there was snowpack at the top but clear roads as one drove farther down. I'm just wondering what some opinions are on this. Thanks.

Durn..Iron already gettin slung someplace ??????

OOOOOOoooooooooops !!! ops: ops: ops: I'm just to accepting of these warm winters after 2 years on the Gulf Coast !!! :P :P :P :P
Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 PM

How does the dispatcher/company react to that if you park for awhile because of road conditions do they pretty much let the driver make the call on that or will they give you a hard time about not trying hard enough to get the load there.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
How does the dispatcher/company react to that if you park for awhile because of road conditions do they pretty much let the driver make the call on that or will they give you a hard time about not trying hard enough to get the load there.
That's why it's Catch-22....you're damned if you do...damned if you don't.

I've had dispatch/operations praise me once of actually arriving at a shipper to pick up a load...and was told I was the only truck out of 95 in Nebraska moving that day...all the rest were still setting at the T/S waiting for clear skies and clear roads. This kinda pissed me off- what I had not told them was I had actually slide off the road into the median...managed by the grace of god(luck) to streighten er out and pull her back onto the road...with 0 damage( luck)...
If they can see that 99% of their drivers feel it's unsafe to drive-you'd think they'd tell the other 1% to PARK the TRUCK.
But, they leave that judgement call up to YOU.

Another time, years ago, There was an ICE storm- winter storm blowing into Missouri I-44, I was loading late in the evening in Monett, Mo- the temp was dropping..the rain was starting to freeze. So as soon as I got loaded...I headed streight up H to Sto's Stop Mt. Vernon, Mo and put 'er to bed for the night. The next morning check call( ancient times-before qual-com)....my Dispatcher bitched me out for not running "ahead" of that Storm....said he had 4 other drivers that passed me during the night and made it fine past St. Louis--now it was morning and I had nothing but blizzard conditions ahead all the way to Ohio....
Funny- but I also had Daylight and snowplows& salt shakes had been working since dawn...and I passed many a truck jackknifed that hadn't been as lucky as his 4 other drivers that Night...and I could have been one
too.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Board Regular

I was out in the CO mountains a few weeks ago
Headed up the hill with an empty trailer. started to feel it spinning but managed to keep it moving until about a mile from the summit.
Finally spun right out and slid backwards and sideways about 20 feet, almost went over the edge!!

Sat for 3 hours until a tow truck showed up to pull me to the summit
cost 100 bucks for tow, and then i had to buy chains from the tow truck driver to go down the hill!

The chain signs were off when i headed up the hill, but they were turned on not long after i headed up!
So the CO highway patrol was there just to make sure i bought chains and then i was on my way!
300 bucks for chains and 40 bucks for them to install since i had never done it before and it was almost dark

It was quite a trip, i will never go into mountains without chains again, and i would still rather throw on chains and get moving instead of sitting for days!
I hate sitting.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy
I was out in the CO mountains a few weeks ago
Headed up the hill with an empty trailer. started to feel it spinning but managed to keep it moving until about a mile from the summit.
Finally spun right out and slid backwards and sideways about 20 feet, almost went over the edge!!

Sat for 3 hours until a tow truck showed up to pull me to the summit
cost 100 bucks for tow, and then i had to buy chains from the tow truck driver to go down the hill!

The chain signs were off when i headed up the hill, but they were turned on not long after i headed up!
So the CO highway patrol was there just to make sure i bought chains and then i was on my way!
300 bucks for chains and 40 bucks for them to install since i had never done it before and it was almost dark

It was quite a trip, i will never go into mountains without chains again, and i would still rather throw on chains and get moving instead of sitting for days!
I hate sitting.
You were very lucky...my friend. Colorado has no 'failure to maintain control" ticket or "too fast for conditions"...they simply have "careless" driving tickets....for drivers who need to be TOWED from a scene.
This is why smaller companies stay away from/go around Colorado during the 9 months of winter. Insurance companies hit 'em heavy with drivers getting 'careless' tickets.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg

ICE NO-DICE, SNOW GO SLOW

IF IT'S TIME TO CHAIN, IT'S TIME TO PARK THE RIG
Chains are for going uphill and downhill. If you need chains for flatground it is because it is icy and then you should probably park it, as the speed you will be able to travel will be so slow it will be better to wait until it gets hit with salt.

I agree mostly with your first statement, but if you park your truck in the area where I live every time they needed chains in the winter, you might as well shut it off in mid November and start it up again in mid April and go skiing in all that in-between time.

Chains are like any tool, if you know how to use them properly then they have a purpose. And properly does not just apply on how to put them on, it also applies to knowing when to put them on, and how to drive once you have.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver
Chains are like any tool, if you know how to use them properly then they have a purpose. And properly does not just apply on how to put them on, it also applies to knowing when to put them on, and how to drive once you have.
Amen to that !