User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey congrats Jay.I drive for Maverick been there about a year.You going flatbed or specialized.I am in the flatbed division.They are a great company.If you get to Orientation next week.It starts on Sunday morning at 7:30 a.m.Don't be late Ed or Keith will have your hide.Hope everything goes well. Wear something warm,they keep the Orientation rooms very cold.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Board Regular

Thanks Steelhauler. Going flatbed, heard a couple things about the glass that made it sound like it might not be for me.
I did a bunch of question asking of drivers and a lot of forum and bulletin board reading and decided Maverick is the company for me, even if I had to wait.
I just hope I get a trainer that lives sorta close to where I live, or can drop me at the yard by Emporia which is about an hour and a half from the house.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Rookie
Default maverick waiting game

im waiting on my confirmation call for orientation (Maverick)this weekend. I too did that online ap and was called in hours the recruiter told me at that time that there was a wait and he has called me every week and touched base I am kinda bummed that they make you wait till the last minute before confrming it i live in michigan and i dont wanna sit on a bus for 30 hours so im gonna take the reimbursement he said was 108 dollars what they would have spent on a bus ticket and pay the rest myself for a plane ticket.
The only problem is that the more in advance the cheaper the ticket if i would have known for sure id be going this weekend 3 weeks ago i could have paid 116 dollars for the ticket(8 out of my pocket) on us airways but now if i get it today i have to pay 208 a hundred out of my pocket.
the recruiter said something really interesting i have the job and its just when can i get a trainer and orientation so its importatnt to be right by the phone for confirmation or call back quick so ive been home all week waiting and waiting it almost sounded like if your not there when we call we go for the next guy or something. Man im the kinda person if you tell me be there in 3 weeks ill be there. why couldnt they confirm it then??
Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Board Regular

I am heading to Little Rock in 2 days. Got the call Tuesday.

As I understand it, they go through the list on Monday to see who they can take the next week and call you on Tuesday to tell you to be there at 0730 Sunday morning.

I used airline miles. Cost me $100 for last minute booking and fees, but I don't gotta spend 26 hours on the Hound!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B
I am heading to Little Rock in 2 days. Got the call Tuesday.

As I understand it, they go through the list on Monday to see who they can take the next week and call you on Tuesday to tell you to be there at 0730 Sunday morning.

I used airline miles. Cost me $100 for last minute booking and fees, but I don't gotta spend 26 hours on the Hound!
how many weeks did you have to wait?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Board Regular

Moto, you do not have the job until thursday when they do the job offer.
On monday you have to pass the physical and a series of ability test.
Vision, blood pressure and something to do with knees was the main culpret of those asked to leave. Also there will be an interview that is very important. They asked one guy what he expected tp be doing in 5 years and he said " i want to own my own race track" or something like that and he was dismissed . Several guys left after their interview.On the next week they will set up cones to see if you can can make a righthand turn ( pretty tight) a 90 degree dock
a 45 degree dock and a paralel ( spel) . The trailers are spread axels
and turn quite a bit different from a sliding tandem . Two guys did bad
and decided maverick was not for them . There will be tons of videos and
safety classes . I decided flatbedding was not what I wanted to do so I
came home. They seem to be a good company ( very safety oriented)
and have a great facility there. Do not wear your hat in the class,do not have your phone on , do not talk in Eds class or any other for that matter
but Ed dont put up with anything. Btw, some things I was told by recruiters was a bit different when I got there.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by motozeke
how many weeks did you have to wait?
I put my app in my first week of school and had to wait until I graduated and got my CDL, so in reality my wait was only 1 week. They have a yard about 100 miles from here so this area might go quicker then where you are from.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Vision, blood pressure and something to do with knees was the main culpret of those asked to leave. Also there will be an interview that is very important. They asked one guy what he expected tp be doing in 5 years and he said " i want to own my own race track" or something like that and he was dismissed . Several guys left after their interview.On the next week they will set up cones to see if you can can make a righthand turn ( pretty tight) a 90 degree dock
and have a great facility there. Do not wear your hat in the class,do not have your phone on , do not talk in Eds class or any other for that matter
but Ed dont put up with anything. Btw, some things I was told by recruiters was a bit different when I got there.

when those guys are asked to leave do they pay to send them home or were they on their own?
and I know recruiters lie I drove for HO wolding in 93 and the recruiter told me no problem taking my truck home I lived in the boonies then and when i got to orientation they told me no i would have to leave it at the terminal (370 miles from home) I stayed because at that time I was younger and broke with little kids and no where to go but as soon as i could find another job i left which wasnt trucking
so now im tryin it again i live in a city and my kids are grown
im older now and if it dont work it just dont and you move on nuthin more you can do than that
Old 11-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Do they have trucks available to practice with? I have never driven an autoshift or a spread axle and I would guess that most people haven't before they get there.

I am starting to pack all my stuff for Saturday. Man I wish it was still summer, my bag would be a lot lighter without sweaters, sweatshirts, insulated coveralls and longjohns.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Board Regular

Moto, I believe that they do pay for your ticket home but you better ask before. I drove myself so I had a ride. Jay they do not have trucks for you to practice . I for got to mention You will do a very short road test ( 5 or so miles) with a
trainer . Hopefully that will be a man named Jerry, he is on light duty
and is staying at the terminal and is a very very nice guy . he is easy to
get along with . he will also explain how the auto works . It was very easy but watchout when stopped at a stop light or anywhere because the truck will roll back easily if you do not keep a foot on the brake. he will explain this and tell you what to do . The spread axles are different when bqacking but they will show you how and you can get out and look 500 times if you want , and you can pull up 500 times if you want. They encourage you to get out and look , as a matter of fact a couple of drivers parked the truck
with ease but failed to get out and look because they did not feel the need to do so and when we got back in class the instructor got pretty
upset about them not getting out to look.