User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Crete wouldn't provide me a way home....

I guess I thought it was an industry standard that a trucking company provides you a way home (usually a bus ticket) if you leave them. Well after having given Crete a 2 week notice, and kindly taking their equipment to their terminal, I get there yesterday in Wilmer to turn my truck in. Thinking I'd be given a way home. The dispatcher calls my terminal manager at home, since it's Saturday, and he informs me that since I am voluntarily separating from the company, that I must make my own transportation arrangments home! That felt like a slap in the face after doing the right thing my turning my truck in and giving a notice. So after a $35 cab ride to Greyhound in downtown Dallas and a $74 bus ticket to Pine Bluff, AR, I'm home. So tell me, is what just happened to me normal when you leave a trucking company or did they just do me plain wrong?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Doesn't look ike they ever want you to come back :sad:
Old 08-12-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver
Doesn't look ike they ever want you to come back :sad:
Ditto on that driver!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Who are you driving for now?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Senior Board Member

After quitting a trucking company I have never been offered a bus ticket home. The only time a company paid my way back is once after I failed a physical (when I first learned I was diabetic) and when a trucking company closed its doors.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't recall hearing of any trucking company paying for your way home once you quit. It would have been nice if someone could have given you a ride to the bus station, but it isn't necessary for them to do so. Just be glad that you were close to home.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver
Who are you driving for now?
I'm going back to college to get my degree.

Crazy that they send you home if you do something wrong at orientation or you get fired, but if you quit and bring their equipment back they leave you on your own Another reason why OTR trucking is messed up.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Crete wouldn't provide me a way home....

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
I guess I thought it was an industry standard that a trucking company provides you a way home (usually a bus ticket) if you leave them. Well after having given Crete a 2 week notice, and kindly taking their equipment to their terminal, I get there yesterday in Wilmer to turn my truck in. Thinking I'd be given a way home. The dispatcher calls my terminal manager at home, since it's Saturday, and he informs me that since I am voluntarily separating from the company, that I must make my own transportation arrangments home! That felt like a slap in the face after doing the right thing my turning my truck in and giving a notice. So after a $35 cab ride to Greyhound in downtown Dallas and a $74 bus ticket to Pine Bluff, AR, I'm home. So tell me, is what just happened to me normal when you leave a trucking company or did they just do me plain wrong?
I just took my regular hometime on Friday, cleaned out the truck, and left it at a drop-yard 20 minutes from my house. I already had my new LTL job lined up and was slated to start on Monday. Sure enough, Monday morning rolls around and my travel agent calls up and says "Where are you? I've got you pre-planned on a P&G load to Texas." I said "Oh, I forgot to tell you. I quit." He's like "WHAT! You can't do that!". I said "I just did!" CLICK!!!!

They left all kinds of threatening messages on my voice-mail. Received several bills for truck recovery charges. I'm sure there's something on my DAC. Big deal. I just threw everything in the trash and after awhile, never heard about it. Screw it, I'm not gonna drive 5 hours for free to turn in their truck at a terminal and then pay out of my own pocket for a bus-ride home. Especially on a Greyhound - those things are nightmares. Maybe if they hadn't tried to screw me over so many times I would've thought differently. Then again, maybe not. :lol:
Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Voluntary seperation never justify's a ticket home! Now if it is the company relieving you of your duty, then yes, it is standard that they provide you transportation home, usually the 45' cabover.

You did do the correct thing by returning the equipment to the terminal, and processing out correctly. Truck abondonment gets put on your DAC report, and is almost always an instant Death Sentence to a trucking careeer. At least for a reputable trucking company.

Good luck with your degree!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Default Re: Crete wouldn't provide me a way home....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
I just took my regular hometime on Friday, cleaned out the truck, and left it at a drop-yard 20 minutes from my house. I already had my new LTL job lined up and was slated to start on Monday. Sure enough, Monday morning rolls around and my travel agent calls up and says "Where are you? I've got you pre-planned on a P&G load to Texas." I said "Oh, I forgot to tell you. I quit." He's like "WHAT! You can't do that!". I said "I just did!" CLICK!!!!

They left all kinds of threatening messages on my voice-mail. Received several bills for truck recovery charges. I'm sure there's something on my DAC. Big deal. I just threw everything in the trash and after awhile, never heard about it. Screw it, I'm not gonna drive 5 hours for free to turn in their truck at a terminal and then pay out of my own pocket for a bus-ride home. Especially on a Greyhound - those things are nightmares. Maybe if they hadn't tried to screw me over so many times I would've thought differently. Then again, maybe not. :lol:
That's real grown up and responsible :roll: Kudos on handling that so well and professionally CFM. It's a wonder the world thinks most truck drivers are scum. Really shocking eh? :shock: