User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Im no expert on OTR companies but I would think if you quit you're on your own.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Board Regular

Good for you, CFM!
Screw DAC. I'm not worried about them either.
Trucking's boogie man. Many good companies don't even look at DAC, only
those blood sucking large companies, like JB, right, Cluggy? :wink:
Old 08-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Crete wouldn't provide me a way home....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
I guess I thought it was an industry standard that a trucking company provides you a way home (usually a bus ticket) if you leave them. Well after having given Crete a 2 week notice, and kindly taking their equipment to their terminal, I get there yesterday in Wilmer to turn my truck in. Thinking I'd be given a way home. The dispatcher calls my terminal manager at home, since it's Saturday, and he informs me that since I am voluntarily separating from the company, that I must make my own transportation arrangments home! That felt like a slap in the face after doing the right thing my turning my truck in and giving a notice. So after a $35 cab ride to Greyhound in downtown Dallas and a $74 bus ticket to Pine Bluff, AR, I'm home. So tell me, is what just happened to me normal when you leave a trucking company or did they just do me plain wrong?
I just took my regular hometime on Friday, cleaned out the truck, and left it at a drop-yard 20 minutes from my house. I already had my new LTL job lined up and was slated to start on Monday. Sure enough, Monday morning rolls around and my travel agent calls up and says "Where are you? I've got you pre-planned on a P&G load to Texas." I said "Oh, I forgot to tell you. I quit." He's like "WHAT! You can't do that!". I said "I just did!" CLICK!!!!

They left all kinds of threatening messages on my voice-mail. Received several bills for truck recovery charges. I'm sure there's something on my DAC. Big deal. I just threw everything in the trash and after awhile, never heard about it. Screw it, I'm not gonna drive 5 hours for free to turn in their truck at a terminal and then pay out of my own pocket for a bus-ride home. Especially on a Greyhound - those things are nightmares. Maybe if they hadn't tried to screw me over so many times I would've thought differently. Then again, maybe not. :lol:
What a man :roll:
Old 08-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, I went through the same thing with my company; cleaned out the truck, returned it to an agreed upon terminal in Del Rio, Tx., and they refused to pay for sending me home, even though it was a family emergency!!

I told them that my destitute grandmother was dying, and that my family had moved to Honolulu to look after her. I told them that I'd come back to work for them in a few weeks, so they should have paid for a round trip ticket.

Cheap B@$tards!!
:P

:evil: :evil:
Old 08-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

I just took my regular hometime on Friday, cleaned out the truck, and left it at a drop-yard 20 minutes from my house. I already had my new LTL job lined up and was slated to start on Monday. Sure enough, Monday morning rolls around and my travel agent calls up and says "Where are you? I've got you pre-planned on a P&G load to Texas." I said "Oh, I forgot to tell you. I quit." He's like "WHAT! You can't do that!". I said "I just did!" CLICK!!!!

They left all kinds of threatening messages on my voice-mail. Received several bills for truck recovery charges. I'm sure there's something on my DAC. Big deal. I just threw everything in the trash and after awhile, never heard about it. Screw it, I'm not gonna drive 5 hours for free to turn in their truck at a terminal and then pay out of my own pocket for a bus-ride home. Especially on a Greyhound - those things are nightmares. Maybe if they hadn't tried to screw me over so many times I would've thought differently. Then again, maybe not. :lol:
And I hope your job never ends because you may find you have a real problem finding another one.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Voluntary seperation never justify's a ticket home! Now if it is the company relieving you of your duty, then yes, it is standard that they provide you transportation home, usually the 45' cabover.

You did do the correct thing by returning the equipment to the terminal, and processing out correctly. Truck abondonment gets put on your DAC report, and is almost always an instant Death Sentence to a trucking careeer. At least for a reputable trucking company.

Good luck with your degree!
Yes, definately would hurt me in the future if I ever needed another trucking job. My CDL will always be something I can fall back on. Also, my goal is to be an airline pilot, and I don't know if airlines look at a DAC report, but they do do an extensive employment check going back 10 years, and abandoning a truck would certainly give me a bad reference and look bad for someone interested in hiring me for a flying job. But besides all of that, I believe in doing something because it's the right thing to do, and returning a truck is just the right thing to do, even if you think you've been wronged by your company. I was actually very happy at Crete. But I've been in trucking a year now and I realize I don't want to do this for the rest of my life. It's a rough way to make a living. It has definately given me the motivation to go back and finish my degree. I hope to one day drive a FedEx or UPS plane hehe. That's the life
Old 08-13-2007, 01:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I guess I thought it was an industry standard that a trucking company provides you a way home (usually a bus ticket) if you leave them. Well after having given Crete a 2 week notice, and kindly taking their equipment to their terminal, I get there yesterday in Wilmer to turn my truck in. Thinking I'd be given a way home. The dispatcher calls my terminal manager at home, since it's Saturday, and he informs me that since I am voluntarily separating from the company, that I must make my own transportation arrangments home! That felt like a slap in the face after doing the right thing my turning my truck in and giving a notice. So after a $35 cab ride to Greyhound in downtown Dallas and a $74 bus ticket to Pine Bluff, AR, I'm home. So tell me, is what just happened to me normal when you leave a trucking company or did they just do me plain wrong?
Seems normal if you leave any company, not just trucking.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:

Hopefully you stay with this new company forever, because they will probably burn you on the DAC reprt which will kepp you from getting another job and if you never told your new company about what you did and they find out they'll probably can you for it also.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:48 AM

I've never heard of companies paying your way home if you quit. They will pay for you to get there and pay to send you home only if it is their decision for you to go home.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:19 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
And I hope your job never ends because you may find you have a real problem finding another one.
Trust me, I'd have to be penniless and roaming the land like a dustbowl Okie before I'd even THINK about pulling for a McMega OTR carrier again. Besides, the last time I looked this was a right-to-work state. Meaning they can fire me at any time and I'm free to leave whenever I desire -no mess and no fussy cleanup. And I left the rig in a secure, company-owned droplot.

Ah, but the glee I had at devising my escape plan and laughing up my sleeve at their rage when I was safely away was well worth the price of admission!!! The Masked Truckdriver Strikes again! LOL. Of course, the icing on the cake was that those P+G (Proctor & Gamble) reefer loads are extremly time sensitive. So you see, revenge is a dish best served COLD! :lol: