User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 02:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Facts
Ever thought of working at UPS? Work in the warehouse for a year or so. Till your old enough, for a driving spot. That way you can stay in college, they actually help you (money wise) for college. Great benefits. It's a good way to go. They have a linehaul devision. Home everynight (I believe, and home every weekend by far). Not to bad. Just a thought keep an open mind as they say. Wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to go with though!
Hmmmm I didn't really think about that at all. I gave some thought into the ltl side of trucking. I have a question, do you think some of the big companies would hire me at 18 for a local or dedicated account such as Schneider or do you think fleet owners with Triple Crown Services or Landstar give me a chance?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I talked to a recruiter from Triple Crown Services Inc. out of Ft. Wayne, Indiana. He told me that I'll only need 6 months of tractor trailer experience doesn't have to be over the road! But I'll have to be 23 but thats not a problem cause I hope I can start driving this summer and gain 5 years of experience and then get my own truck and lease to Triple Crown. What I really like about them is you can be home everynight or stay out if you want, that is what really sparked my interest and plus I'm right by their yard in St. Louis so that really would benefit me, I love living in this area, so many possibilites! Here is their website: http://www.triplecrownsvc.com/index.html
Old 02-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Senior Board Member

My mom ran into my Aunt's ex husband, well good news.. He and his wife work at the local truck driving school. He is one of the instructors and she works the front office, so when I turn 18 depending on the cost I'm gonna go down there and get my CDL! But my mom and him both said to continue my education. So I'm pretty excited!
Old 02-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Facts
Ever thought of working at UPS? Work in the warehouse for a year or so. Till your old enough, for a driving spot. That way you can stay in college, they actually help you (money wise) for college. Great benefits. It's a good way to go. They have a linehaul devision. Home everynight (I believe, and home every weekend by far). Not to bad. Just a thought keep an open mind as they say. Wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to go with though!
Frankly.... I think that Random_Facts just gave you one of the "very best" pieces of advice....ever given on this site!!

My brother worked for UPS....went up the ladder....made an excellent living.

A high school friend of ours...started at UPS when he got out of the service, and I happened to see him just before he retired at the age of 52!! His Teamster retirement and medical benefits are most excellent!! While retirement and health insurance may not be your primary motives right at this point.... I know, was 18 once, but if I had it to do over again....I would have done things differently.

See if you can get on with UPS.....go to college, get your education, keep working at UPS....they promote from within..... Do yourself and investigate it thoroughly....before you make any decisions.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Senior Board Member

I know this is long and useless but I found out today that I can get my CDL and still take co-op!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
I know this is long and useless but I found out today that I can get my CDL and still take co-op!
Double L I'm doing the same thing I'll be working during the week and taking the truck driving class on Monday and Wednesday nights and on the weekends.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm still in high school, I may work for a trash company hauling the roll off containers driving a Mack. But I want to do something with tractor trailers so it counts for experience but ya know it's better than nothing. :wink:
Old 02-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
I'm still in high school, I may work for a trash company hauling the roll off containers driving a Mack. But I want to do something with tractor trailers so it counts for experience but ya know it's better than nothing. :wink:
I'm going to try and get on with a large farm near where I live and drive a truck hauling grain but if worse comes to worse I'll drive a dump truck for my dad.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

That is what I want to do, drive for a farmer.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:09 AM

double L,

Ive read what has been posted here and have to agree with most every thing Ive read. But of course I have to put my 2 cents in.

1. check with a company like Van Horn or FS in your area or a company like it. they mainly deal in fertilizer and seed applications. I worked for them in the fall filling anhydrous tanks and running some fertilizer to the fields before I started driving. May help some.

2. dont limit yourself to the army. check out the air force as well (didnt have a gas chamber when I was in except for specilized fields)especially the field of TMO (2T0X1). You will get a backround in Logistics and still be able to get some experience driving trucks. You should be able to get a associates in logistical management which with a cdl will usually qualify you to be a warehouse manager and be able to drive trucks. It could also let you be a dispatcher/driver at a ltl company. They even have truck drivers there as well

Both of these things helped me out greatly in getting into the field. i was crazy and didnt get my degree when I was in and it was free.

Oh one more thing when I was in TMO we had guys that did packing for us that were under 21 that were helpers/drivers.