User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 04:52 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Here's an odd MVR question for ya.

January 2, 2007 I'm driving down I-99 in PA. An unmarked trooper passes me. Then he slows down and rides beside me. Next thing I know, he's behind me with the lights flashing.

I pull over, he tells me that he stopped me because my IFTA sticker was expired. Ok-He's right. He checked my logs, and a few other minor things, and everything else turned out good. He go's back to his car and writes me a ticket for what he SAYS was an expired IFTA sticker. He explains it wont go on my MVR. I sign, he lets me go, I finish my run for that day, then head home. Once I get back, I hand the ticket to my boss (very small company). He does an "oh well. what an a$shole" deal. They paid the ticket and that was the last I ever saw or heard of it.

About a month ago, I applied for a job and on the application under the "Accidents/Traffic Citations" sections, I put "NONE", as I truthfull believed I had NONE. Well the company called me back and asked me "Whats this WINDOW TINT violation for on your MVR??" I replied with What are you talking about??? I never even driven a vehicle with tinted windows let alone get pulled over and ticketed for it!?
Well it seems that the trooper put the wrong "code" in and instead of putting the IFTA code (which he said wouldnt go on my mvr anyway), he put down the code for a window tint violation.
Now as a commercial driver, that stupid charge stays on my report for 10 years! I called PA DOT and they said they cant do anything about it, as they only report what is reported to them. I would have to go through Bedford county (where the incident happened), and file an appeal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do with this? One part of me wants to fight it because I TRULY NEVER had a stupid window tint violation, and it jerks me off that it's gotta tarnish my record for 10 years. The other part of me says to hell with it. I wont win anyway, and besides, it's not like it's a speeding ticket or anything like that, that would REALLY look bad to a company. By the way, it didnt cost me the job opportunity with the company that told me about.

Looking forward to replies.
Jim.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Here's an odd MVR question for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard
January 2, 2007 I'm driving down I-99 in PA. An unmarked trooper passes me. Then he slows down and rides beside me. Next thing I know, he's behind me with the lights flashing.

I pull over, he tells me that he stopped me because my IFTA sticker was expired. Ok-He's right. He checked my logs, and a few other minor things, and everything else turned out good. He go's back to his car and writes me a ticket for what he SAYS was an expired IFTA sticker. He explains it wont go on my MVR. I sign, he lets me go, I finish my run for that day, then head home. Once I get back, I hand the ticket to my boss (very small company). He does an "oh well. what an a$shole" deal. They paid the ticket and that was the last I ever saw or heard of it.

About a month ago, I applied for a job and on the application under the "Accidents/Traffic Citations" sections, I put "NONE", as I truthfull believed I had NONE. Well the company called me back and asked me "Whats this WINDOW TINT violation for on your MVR??" I replied with What are you talking about??? I never even driven a vehicle with tinted windows let alone get pulled over and ticketed for it!?
Well it seems that the trooper put the wrong "code" in and instead of putting the IFTA code (which he said wouldnt go on my mvr anyway), he put down the code for a window tint violation.
Now as a commercial driver, that stupid charge stays on my report for 10 years! I called PA DOT and they said they cant do anything about it, as they only report what is reported to them. I would have to go through Bedford county (where the incident happened), and file an appeal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do with this? One part of me wants to fight it because I TRULY NEVER had a stupid window tint violation, and it jerks me off that it's gotta tarnish my record for 10 years. The other part of me says to hell with it. I wont win anyway, and besides, it's not like it's a speeding ticket or anything like that, that would REALLY look bad to a company. By the way, it didnt cost me the job opportunity with the company that told me about.

Jim.

it's a non-moving violation, no points, I would forget about it.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I agree with Fredog. I would just forget about it. Something such as this will not affect your driving career or CDL. It will cost more to fight it than it may be worth to you. On the other hand, if you choose to fight it, then you could go back to the place where the ticket was written and see if you can have the conviction over turned. There is a time limit where something can be done. If you choose to pursue it, you need to do it right away so that your rights are not compromised.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Here's an odd MVR question for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard

Jim.

it's a non-moving violation, no points, I would forget about it.
Can't be a Non-Moving in PA if it showed up on his MVR. Non-Moving violations do not show up on your MVR in PA. Even a 10 year. I know that for a fact :wink: .

Jim, I would fight it because if it a non-moving, then something is wrong(see above).

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 02-14-2008, 06:17 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Can't be a Non-Moving in PA if it showed up on his MVR. Non-Moving violations do not show up on your MVR in PA. Even a 10 year. I know that for a fact
You would be incorrect. I see PA MVR's on a daily basis, many with miscellaneous (logs), equipment, seat belt violations and more, all of which are non-moving violations.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:24 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

In support of my above statement, here is an excerpt from a PA MVR pulling just a week ago:

VIOLATION 07/15/98 VIOL WEIGHT LIMITS
VIOLATION 02/24/00 VIOL WEIGHT LIMITS
VIOLATION 09/01/00 VIOL WEIGHT LIMITS

and onward.

Another PA MVR that just came in today:

VIOLATION 06/26/01 VIOL NO SEAT BELT USED
VIOLATION 07/22/04 VIOL FAIL APPEAR FOR TRIAL

Again, none of the above are moving violations, but they do show. Fact is, MVR from ALL states will show ALL violations, both moving and non, unless they have been legally removed or have dropped off the STATE time limit. PA is a forever state...nothing drops off.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Quote:
Can't be a Non-Moving in PA if it showed up on his MVR. Non-Moving violations do not show up on your MVR in PA. Even a 10 year. I know that for a fact
You would be incorrect. I see PA MVR's on a daily basis, many with miscellaneous (logs), equipment, seat belt violations and more, all of which are non-moving violations.
Intresting since I have two non-movings and neither show up on my ten year and I have seen a very recent copy of mine.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 02-15-2008, 12:30 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Don't know what to tell you, but non-moving violations do show up on MVRs. Companies do pull the full MVR, too. It might be possible to pull an abbreviated MVR, one that just shows moving violations or perhaps only goes back a certain number of years. Maybe that's what you have seen.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Don't know what to tell you, but non-moving violations do show up on MVRs. Companies do pull the full MVR, too. It might be possible to pull an abbreviated MVR, one that just shows moving violations or perhaps only goes back a certain number of years. Maybe that's what you have seen.
Nope, it was a full MVR that went back 10 years. Last Moving Violation that I have was 1/98 in a car and still had my class C(just got the A permit at that time )

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 02-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
Nope, it was a full MVR that went back 10 years. Last Moving Violation that I have was 1/98 in a car and still had my class C(just got the A permit at that time )

I bet either Rev or Steve Booth had something to do with it. They get blamed for everything else.
OR, maybe it was Fozzy