User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default hey guys, future trucker looking for info

what up guys? i figured this was as good a place as any to introduce myself to you all. with in the next couple months, i plan on going thru a school to get my CDL and start driving. im prepared for my first year to be a PITA, but im willing to stick it out bc i feel this is truely something i really want to do.

i went to a truck driving job fair a couple days ago and got some info on some good schools in my area, and as of right now, i believe i want to try and get a job with Dick Lavy trucking which is based only 10 miles from me

anyways, looking forward to learning as much about this as i can on here. thanx in advance!

Khori
Old 09-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Board Member

welcome to the forum. get ready for the good. the bad, & the ugly. in the trucking business. it takes a certain kind of charachter & personality to make it & be happy in this business. it will be an experience for you for sure. but hey. if it dont work out. at least you'll know what you dont want to do. :lol:
Old 09-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss
welcome to the forum. get ready for the good. the bad, & the ugly. in the trucking business. it takes a certain kind of charachter & personality to make it & be happy in this business. it will be an experience for you for sure. but hey. if it dont work out. at least you'll know what you dont want to do. :lol:
lol...thanx for the welcome and you're right. but i really hope it works out. ive been studying up on all the different trucking schools and jobs like its a religion for the past couple months or more. i talked to my step uncle yesterday who drives for baylor out of indiana, and the first thing he asked when i told him i wanted to be a trucker was "are you insane?"..lol..he was just kidding, but he did give me a lot of info. told me what to watch out for, and things like that. said i will get paid very well, but i will have to work for it. but, i dont get paid very well now, and i still work my ass off..lol...so im no stranger to hard work.

plus, i love the idea of getting out there and seeing the country and maybe parts of canada. and i love driving no matter what kinda vehicle it is. right now i drive a fork lift for an injection mold department 12 hrs a night. i just know this is something i really want to do, so im really looking forward to getting into a school so i can go out and get a job
Old 09-23-2007, 07:19 PM

Welcome, fellow soon-to-be greenhorn new jack. You'll find tons of invaluable information on this board. From what I've seen, you'll see many different opinions on various companies. I'm planning on taking the plunge sometime within the next 4 months and I've been doing tons of research. From what I've seen and heard, the best bet is to get your CDL on your own from a good school because many companies that offer training usually require that you sign a contract for a year to 18 months. For instance, I've contacted Schneider, Roehl and CFI. Schneider requires 18 months, but they offer some of the best training in the industry from what I've heard. Roehl transport is decent too from what I've heard; they want you to put down $450 and if you stay with them for a year they pick up the remainder of the cost for school. CFI will send you to a driving school that they deal with (not too sure how exactly that works; perhaps someone can clarify) and their cost is $1000 plus approx. $500-$700 for room and board, medicals, etc. The best part about CFI is there is no contract; they'll pick up the cost of the training once you finish your time with the trainer and get into your own truck. These companies are the ones I'm considering so far and CFI is currently at the top of my list.

There are other companies that everyone has given mixed reviews on, but it seems like that working for a certain company is as good as what you make of it. Another thing I've heard on here is to stay away from CR England. I plan on listening to that advice. Best of Luck.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Senior Board Member

There is what is known as "conventional knowledge" in the forums.... its whats generally accepted as being truthful, or as close to factual as possible. It generally relates to a "company's culture" or lack thereof. To determine what that "conventional knowledge" is you have to get up from the computer, saunter into the kitchen, open the refrigerator, grab the fixings for a Dagwood or two, grab a drink (preferably non-alcoholic so you can remember what you read) and then after fixing your Dagwood's, saunter back to your computer and click on the "Search" icon at the top of the page. Use the company name as the search word.....get comfortable and start reading.

Generally speaking....you should take everything with a "grain of salt". Take nothing as "gospel"...... Remember, one person's "Valhalla" is another person's "Hell". Have fun!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Senior Board Member

skywalker... i'm still trying to decipher what you said ???/ :?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Simple.....build a BIG sandwich or two, grab a soda, plant yourself in front of your computer, do a herd of searches, then take it all with a "grain of salt".....

You will begin to see patterns..... like the more complaints against the same companies repeatedly over a period of years indicates that "conventional wisdom" says: the company is probably a "bottomfeeder" and best to avoid, unless of course you have a masochistic streak a mile wide.

:mrgreen:

Oh, "Valhalla" is heaven to a Viking. "Hell" is just that.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 09-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
He's saying something akin to the old "assholes and opinions" saying. This forum is chock full of both and is more like a truckstop where all the guys are sitting around behind the wheel flapping their yap but without the "commercial company" or "good buddies". Don't take it as gospel.:wink:
Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
Quote:
He's saying something akin to the old "assholes and opinions" saying. This forum is chock full of both and is more like a truckstop where all the guys are sitting around behind the wheel flapping their yap but without the "commercial company" or "good buddies". Don't take it as gospel.:wink:
:wink: :mrgreen: :wink: Thats another way of putting it. :mrgreen:

Old 09-24-2007, 04:45 AM
Rookie

Hey heavyhaulerss, I like you am thinking of doing the same thing. Only advise I can give you is the one everyone else has so far. That's the 3 R's (research, research, research.) With the amount of info already on these boards there really is no need to ask your question. Do a search for what your thinking about and see if anyone else has asked it and then if they haven't then ask it. An example is the other day I was wondering what it took to hook and unhook a trailer. Didn't have to search for it as someone else already asked the question and someone posted the answer for me. On here you can learn a little bit about almost everything only takes a little time to look it up.

BOL
Turox