User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Time Dweller
I see the art of sarcasm is lost on the snowman. :roll: BTW, I see by your screen name that Smokey and the Bandit nust be your favorite movie. Is your dog named Fred?:lol:

That post was a joke made in light of many drivers out there in which that is their pre trip. Nice try though. :wink:

As far as night driving, I have done plenty when I ran regional. If I knew I had to leave for an over night run, I would forgo social activities to make sure I had proper rest before my run. From your posts on the subject, it seems that isn't the case, hence my comment.

As far as seeing LTL's crash and burn. I have seen an read about many. One that comes to mind is the Roadway driver that fell asleep and drove off I90 and crashed into a house.

Don't put yourself on a pedestal Cledus, there are many LTL drivers that have your attitude of not letting proper rest get in the way of your social life, risking lives and property daily. If you can't handle the hours safely, maybe a career change is in order? Especially when you state; Everyone has a life outside of work and sometimes the two conflict.

Maybe a job that entails "You want fries with that?" is in order. The worst that can happen there with lack of sleep is giving someone the wrong order or change. :P
wow, a Normal persons body was designed to be awake during the day and sleep at night.... so when you reverse the two, thing happen..... but we ALL try our best to be safe, at least i DO...... i'd rather take a little nap and bring freight in late, then roll a set over....

I bet most of you have never been through the median jumping over driveways and side swiping a tractor..... it can be scary...... and you add to it, if i didnt hit the truck i would have been in a lake, probably dead...

so every lesson is a learned lesson.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I see the art of sarcasm is lost on the snowman. :roll: BTW, I see by your screen name that Smokey and the Bandit nust be your favorite movie. Is your dog named Fred?:lol:
ooh, good one! :roll:

Quote:
That post was a joke made in light of many drivers out there in which that is their pre trip. Nice try though. :wink:
hmm, was it? :roll:

Quote:
As far as night driving, I have done plenty when I ran regional. If I knew I had to leave for an over night run, I would forgo social activities to make sure I had proper rest before my run. From your posts on the subject, it seems that isn't the case, hence my comment.
do it on 2 hrs notice :roll:

Quote:
As far as seeing LTL's crash and burn. I have seen an read about many. One that comes to mind is the Roadway driver that fell asleep and drove off I90 and crashed into a house.
yeah, theres one. (I knew you'd come up with one) now consider that Conway, Fedex, UPS, and YRC are all in the top ten in terms of power units and equipment and then check their safety records. :roll:

Quote:
Don't put yourself on a pedestal Cledus, there are many LTL drivers that have your attitude of not letting proper rest get in the way of your social life, risking lives and property daily. If you can't handle the hours safely, maybe a career change is in order? Especially when you state; Everyone has a life outside of work and sometimes the two conflict.
pedastal? you started it Part time, Cledus, another good one! :roll:

Quote:
Maybe a job that entails "You want fries with that?" is in order. The worst that can happen there with lack of sleep is giving someone the wrong order or change. :P
what can I say? ha ha funny! :lol:

You seem to like emoticons so I used alot of them for you! :lol:
Old 09-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Board Regular

Cledus,,,,,,,,,,,,I see you can't put a thought together without cut and pasting everything. I use smileys, you C and P. Your point is?

2 hours notice? What kind of Mickey Mouse company you work for? Or, is it a case of staying up all the while knowing that they might call and then blaming the company? From what I have seen, you get 10 hours off after your shift, then you may be called in. Try getting your rest 1st, then you will be ready.

There are way more than one example of LTL's crash and burning but I will say they do have a far better safety record than most dweller companies. But, there are still those that put personal time ahead of proper rest and do crash and burn.

Trucker_Matt............

I realize the sleep pattern is hard to get used to, so by all means take a nap when needed. my issue is with Cledus and his ilk saying that Everyone has a life outside of work and sometimes the two conflict.
These are people that shouldn't be out endangering lives and property because their job gets in the way of their personal life.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
my issue is with Cledus and his ilk saying that Everyone has a life outside of work and sometimes the two conflict.
These are people that shouldn't be out endangering lives and property because their job gets in the way of their personal life.
Wow! You sure like to zone in dont you? I've been here 2 1/2 years and you zone in on that? With no knowledge of me or working at an LTL company while on call? Like I said did you read the whole post? Its obvious you will never be wrong and I am arguing with a supertrucker so I guess I'll have to turn off the CB now. dayum!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Board Regular

I read the whole post, and one thing you said sticks out. Everyone has a life outside of work and sometimes the two conflict.

That about covers it. :wink:

As far as being on call, after being up all day, maybe it would work better to being on call, after being asleep all day, as you need to be available ten hours after your last shift. Then if they don't call, do your thing and take another nap later. It isn't rocket science.

Me, I'll stick to my M-F 8-10 hour day shift. I'm too old and smart to be abused by a wanna be scab LTL like Conway. :wink:
Old 09-16-2007, 06:02 PM

i have to say, that all the driving I've done, even though its not that much, i have to say that night linehaul is by far the worst one, and the least desired, (by me at least)

I would rather give up money than "quality" rest. I prefer the day shift.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I read the whole post, and one thing you said sticks out. Everyone has a life outside of work and sometimes the two conflict.

That about covers it. :wink:

As far as being on call, after being up all day, maybe it would work better to being on call, after being asleep all day, as you need to be available ten hours after your last shift. Then if they don't call, do your thing and take another nap later. It isn't rocket science.

Me, I'll stick to my M-F 8-10 hour day shift. I'm too old and smart to be abused by a wanna be scab LTL like Conway. :wink:
You need to lighten up Francis. Many of these cos have you on call 24/7 and you may go 2-3 days without working, never knowing when the call will come, day or night. Thats why you see them taking naps in daycabs, the original topic. I'll keep my job at UPS thanks, :wink:
Old 09-16-2007, 06:10 PM

With all the back biting going on, this thread has gone way off topic. I'm in a daycab. Sometimes I will leave extra early to load, expecting to be there loading for an hour when in reality I hit it just right and get in and out in 15 minutes. When that happens and I can't deliver to the customer early, I pull over and take a nap. Sometimes I just wasn't able to sleep well the night before and I feel tired. When this happens I pull over and grab a power nap, better to get the load to the destination safely and a few minutes late than never at all. Unkut you asked a valid question but then went on the attack. Can you honestly say you have never had a day where you were tired and a power nap would have made you a safer and more alert driver. It sucks when you have days like this, but with the irregular schedules most of us daycab guys have, I personally feel much better when I see a daycab on the side of the road with the driver getting needed rest. Not to pick on the OTR drivers but I have seen more OTR CMV's weaving all over the road due to the driver not pulling over when he/she should have. I'm not saying daycabbers don't have the same problem, because I have seen that to. If you are so tired that you need more than a power nap, call dispatch and let them know to call the customer and let them know the load needs to be rescheduled for a later delivery time that day, or the next if need be.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Board Regular

Cletus, I am not knocking taking a nap by any means. What I have issue with is your comment regarding work and free time conflicting. That being said, a driver cannot put personal time ahead of rest for a driving job, period.

As far as the on call thing, that should be illegal for not providing a driver proper notice to get the required rest. This is just another example of driver abuse that plagues the industry nowadays. I bet the union companies don't expect a driver to show up with no sleep, do they?

As far as you leaving Con way for UPS, that was a great move. Me, I'll keep my local dump/ lowboy job. I put my time in working all those irregular hours, the older one gets, the harder it is on the body.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Cletus, I am not knocking taking a nap by any means. What I have issue with is your comment regarding work and free time conflicting. That being said, a driver cannot put personal time ahead of rest for a driving job, period.

As far as the on call thing, that should be illegal for not providing a driver proper notice to get the required rest. This is just another example of driver abuse that plagues the industry nowadays. I bet the union companies don't expect a driver to show up with no sleep, do they?

As far as you leaving Con way for UPS, that was a great move. Me, I'll keep my local dump/ lowboy job. I put my time in working all those irregular hours, the older one gets, the harder it is on the body.
Actually Yellow and Roadway do the same thing when you are new. On call 24/7, 2 hours notice. You may work everyday or you may work once in a week. Even senior guys are on call 24/7 but their seniority allows them to pick and choose and plan better. New guys dont have that luxury and saying no isnt an option for them unfortunately. When you run everyday its easy to figure out, its when you sit by the phone for 24 hrs or more when you never know. And yes, I worked at Yellow too.