User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Not to mention getting paid while sitting in a dock or when broke down. Funny though, when the company has to pay for the above, things happen to move along rather quickly.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Time Dweller
Not to mention getting paid while sitting in a dock or when broke down. Funny though, when the company has to pay for the above, things happen to move along rather quickly.
And 30 minute paid lunch, 15 min paid break(that we must take and show on our logs), paid to sit in traffic, paid to take the back roads instead of the turnpike(alot of lights on routes 22 and 30 ). Paid day off on my B-Day , paid holidays, time and a half after eight hours, paid personal/sick days, and on and on........... . I don't work for free.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 09-17-2007, 12:35 AM
Board Regular

We can't take a nap on the clock, so we must be ready to do our shift every day. Herein lies the problem with the paid by mile LTL's. It seems that some of the mileage boys would rather not waste their off time with trivial things like sleep and try to make it through the shift with a 20 minute nap over the wheel.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

I take my nap while I'm waiting(and getting paid) for a dock to open at Walmart. Them coke,Pepsi and milk guys sure take a long time to unload.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 09-17-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
We can't take a nap on the clock, so we must be ready to do our shift every day. Herein lies the problem with the paid by mile LTL's. It seems that some of the mileage boys would rather not waste their off time with trivial things like sleep and try to make it through the shift with a 20 minute nap over the wheel.
oh boy, here we go again.......

at $.55 cents per mile i can take a 20 minute nap.... OK?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Board Regular

And I can take two 15 min. paid naps a day, if I needed them. How much is 0 miles times .55? :?

Point being, a driver should be able to finish a shift without one, because the days they are running behind and can't is the day they become a hazard on the highway. :wink:
Old 09-17-2007, 12:48 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker_Matt
well i drive night linehaul for conway.... and since i dont sleep well during the day, when i get tired i pull over and take a 20 minute nap, just to make it home.....

If you've never driven overnight, then you would know..... you get tired fast...

driving in the day is pretty easy IMO

I agree.... but with ANY professional driving position, you should be responsible enough to make sure you get the amount of sleep need to do your job safely.... correct? The amount of get togethers, parties, movies, dinners, ect..... that I've had to miss, cancel, ect.... is unbelievable! But I do it so that my head is on the pillow ATLEAST 6 hours!!! I normally start out anywhere from 3am-7am daily, depending on where I'm going that day, the dock time, ect....
Have you ever had to drive all night and try to sleep in the day, it is not easy, even if you have been doing it for years, your body doesn't get used to it.

I used to drive a day cab, I started at 11 pm and finished around 8-9 am, five days a week, plus an hour drive home. It was very hard to sleep during the day, I would toss and turn in my bed for hours trying to sleep, I might end up getting 3 or 4 hours of sleep. All of us who drove nights pulled over for a 20 -30 min nap, and it was not milking the clock either, we were required to take a break anyway,
Old 09-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
The problem is the driver/dockworker concept in LTL. At some outfits (Conway being the most notorious) you're expected to drive say 5 hours, work the dock for 4, and then drive another 5 back to your home terminal. 14 hour days with one 16 hour exemption and you'll easily bump your 60 on Friday night.

It still beats OTR by a long-shot. Alot of those guys pull down $70k, $80k, and $90k. Still, I wouldn't do it because it's basically all night-work and no life. That's why I stick with P&D. $22.00/hr, 8-9 hour days M-F, overtime after 8\40. A set start time on a gravy-train run - that's the only way to truck in my book. They'll have to pry this job out of my cold, dead hands. :lol:

Keep in mind that not all LTL linehaul operations are set-up like Conway, NEMF, etc. Where I work, all the runs are over 400 miles. You just drive, drop your set, hook to another, and boogie on down the line to homebase. You get drop/hook pay at both ends and delay pay if you get held-up. Other runs are set up as meet-n-turns. Easy $$$$$.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
The problem is the driver/dockworker concept in LTL. At some outfits (Conway being the most notorious) you're expected to drive say 5 hours, work the dock for 4, and then drive another 5 back to your home terminal. 14 hour days with one 16 hour exemption and you'll easily bump your 60 on Friday night.

It still beats OTR by a long-shot. Alot of those guys pull down $70k, $80k, and $90k. Still, I wouldn't do it because it's basically all night-work and no life. That's why I stick with P&D. $22.00/hr, 8-9 hour days M-F, overtime after 8\40. A set start time on a gravy-train run - that's the only way to truck in my book. They'll have to pry this job out of my cold, dead hands. :lol:

Keep in mind that not all LTL linehaul operations are set-up like Conway, NEMF, etc. Where I work, all the runs are over 400 miles. You just drive, drop your set, hook to another, and boogie on down the line to homebase. You get drop/hook pay at both ends and delay pay if you get held-up. Other runs are set up as meet-n-turns. Easy $$$$$.
i agree with you that the city p/d is the best IMO.... working at night i have no life and it sucks....

But it might change soon because i have an job offering for a local DAY job with same pay as conway..... I hope for the best...
Old 09-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker_Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:

i agree with you that the city p/d is the best IMO.... working at night i have no life and it sucks....

But it might change soon because i have an job offering for a local DAY job with same pay as conway..... I hope for the best...
Hauling what? Some local day jobs are worse then working LTL linehaul at night(foodservice delivery comes to mind. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt,4 years and am done counting )

MY FACEBOOK PAGE