User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DAYCABS....

So I'm a "local" or "shorthaul" driver and currently drive a Kenworth T800 daycab. What I'm wondering is, I've noticed quite a few daycabs in the rest areas, truck stops, roadsides, ramps, ect.... with the driver stretched out across the seats, head on a mini pillow in the driver window???? WHY is this??? I mean, if your in a daycab, you are a local/shorthaul driver correct? If so, this means NO MORE then a 14 hour day! So why all the sleeping like their OTR???
Old 09-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Board Icon

Maybe they have a run that is overnight where their company won't pay for a hotel so they are sleeping in the cab. Maybe they need a quick nap during the day or are union or are milking the clock because they are paid by the hour. I see concrete mixer drivers sleeping all the time while sitting at a job waiting. I've slept in my truck waiting for a crew to get to the jobsite to load me with dirt.

They are doing it for various reason's, wouldn't worry about it as long as they are sleeping while stopped somewhere instead of while driving down the road.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Senior Board Member

i might be wrong but they only for a maybe 2 hours and are at it again... if your tired you SHOULD pull over and take a nap...

I think your talking about most LTL companies i.e. roadway, ups, and sometimes a fed ex frieght
Old 09-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbtubas
i might be wrong but they only for a maybe 2 hours and are at it again... if your tired you SHOULD pull over and take a nap...

I think your talking about most LTL companies i.e. roadway, ups, and sometimes a fed ex frieght
EXACTLY.... I see a few other off name companies too though. I was just wondering though... 8)
Old 09-16-2007, 12:22 AM

well i drive night linehaul for conway.... and since i dont sleep well during the day, when i get tired i pull over and take a 20 minute nap, just to make it home.....

If you've never driven overnight, then you would know..... you get tired fast...

driving in the day is pretty easy IMO
Old 09-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker_Matt
well i drive night linehaul for conway.... and since i dont sleep well during the day, when i get tired i pull over and take a 20 minute nap, just to make it home.....

If you've never driven overnight, then you would know..... you get tired fast...

I agree.... but with ANY professional driving position, you should be responsible enough to make sure you get the amount of sleep need to do your job safely.... correct? The amount of get togethers, parties, movies, dinners, ect..... that I've had to miss, cancel, ect.... is unbelievable! But I do it so that my head is on the pillow ATLEAST 6 hours!!! I normally start out anywhere from 3am-7am daily, depending on where I'm going that day, the dock time, ect....
Old 09-16-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
Quote:

I agree.... but with ANY professional driving position, you should be responsible enough to make sure you get the amount of sleep need to do your job safely.... correct? The amount of get togethers, parties, movies, dinners, ect..... that I've had to miss, cancel, ect.... is unbelievable! But I do it so that my head is on the pillow ATLEAST 6 hours!!! I normally start out anywhere from 3am-7am daily, depending on where I'm going that day, the dock time, ect....
try starting at 7pm and finishing at 8am 5 day per week...... it will wear you down.

and even if i get 7-8 hours of sleep... i still have to take a nap..... NOT everyones body was made for night driving.....

when i work at night in the lumber yard i was fine..... but driving is less active...

try it then you wont be so cocky about missing things
Old 09-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

We have to take a 30 minute lunch between the 4th and 5th hour and I try to stretch out and doze off for a bit... I work a 12-14hr shift stuck in a pete 385 :?
Old 09-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
Quote:

try starting at 7pm and finishing at 8am 5 day per week...... it will wear you down.

and even if i get 7-8 hours of sleep... i still have to take a nap..... NOT everyones body was made for night driving.....

when i work at night in the lumber yard i was fine..... but driving is less active...

try it then you wont be so cocky about missing things

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you technically only drive roughly 4 hours a night!!! Atleast thats what YOU said here.....

Quote:
I have been local for about 16 months, currently i work for Conway. I run night linehaul which i dont like at all because i drive 4.5 hours round trip and work the dock about 5-6 hours each night. i was forced onto linehaul.

And with instances like this statement you made below..... with KNOWING you don't get the required sleep for the position, puts you a DIRECT safety hazard and threat to the industry, citizens lives, and yourself!!!

Quote:
I have an accident and it cost $17,000

Oh, and the hours you work seem fair to me..... seeing as how I drive your round trip ONE WAY, on a daily basis!!! And yes, at most times I'm in at 3am (night) and with daylight arriving at 7ish.... I covered your round trip, one-way, at night!

PLEASE don't approach me with your 16 months of experience as a 4 hour daily driver already with a million complaints of the industry when you are clearly incompetent of meeting the minimum requirements to drive safely!!! Hell, in my last job I would start at 6am and deliver trailer full of pop by hand (Coca-Cola) in a 10+ hour if I were lucky! Then I would get back to the yard and take a reload for another 3-4 hours of driving!

See, it takes more then what your posts say about you to be a professional driver! You say its not for you.... then please, get out before you kill someone.... or yourself! You want to juggle school and blame that for your lack of sleep...... Sir, I've got a wife, and 3 children ages 9, 5, and 1!!! Which BEATS the hell out of any school responsibilities!!! I'm not gonna begin to make life ANY rougher on you becasue your only 22, and obviously not man enough to admit your mistakes and take some responsability for anything! But thanks for reading..... if you have any other info relating to the thread topic..... please feel free to post!!!
Old 09-16-2007, 01:56 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911
We have to take a 30 minute lunch between the 4th and 5th hour and I try to stretch out and doze off for a bit... I work a 12-14hr shift stuck in a pete 385 :?

I feel ya there driver..... Likewise, I'm stuck in a '97 KEN T800 the same... 8) But personally, with atleast 6 hours sleep, a nice dose of caffeine, and A LOT of cd's.... I'm good to get the job done, haha!!!