Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Re: Help get me up and going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun
First of all, this is my first post on this forum, I just found it last night and I think it's a great resource.

I need some help. I got my CDL through Prime a few years ago (maybe 4). I think I set myself up to fail and only made it for 6 months before I quit. From there I went on to work at a few different local jobs. I ended up driving a straight truck for the last year and a half or so.

Well now I'm ready to give it another try. I've applied to Schneider and I want to get prepared to make it work this time.

Before I didn't even have a cell phone, no internet, no gps. It was just me, my qualcomm, cb, and atlast book. I could only call for directions if I stopped at a payphone.

This time I have my girlfriend going with me, I have my cell phone, I'm getting a GPS system, xm radio, and a wireless internet card for my laptop. I really believe that being pretty much cut off from the rest of the world my first time around made me so miserable that I just couldn't take it.

So can you help me out with what I should buy...
I have sprint service for my cell phone. So, should I go with their wireless internet?

What GPS system would you recommend? I read the 5 page long discussion on this topic but never really came up with a final conclusion except that I shouldn't totally rely on it for trip planning, but use it as a tool. I don't want to spend a fortune on this, but I'm not looking for the cheapest. I just want to know which one is good for what I need. This is very important to me because I believe another reason I didn't make it before is because I was scared to death of getting lost in that big truck.

And if there's anything else you'd recommend to go ahead and get before I take the plunge, let me know. I have some money to play with and I want to give myself the best chance to succeed. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Oh, the horror...!!!

This post makes me think of someone taking a top of the line motor coach out to the woods and coming home and telling the neighbors they'd been "camping"...

Just messing with you, but I'm sure there's a few "oldtimers" reading this post and :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I can remember driving from Mount Holly NJ to San Diego CA in a Paystar5000, with a 549 gas engine & a 13 speed, no sleeper, pulling a trailer that weighed 45,000#. No such thing as a cell phone..no such thing as a "laptop"..no GPS...very little in the way of FM radio...and AM was sketchy to..oh yeah....no XM or Sirius either!! Made the trip in 4 days, and only called in once...collect.
Of course, that was as a company driver...with a Company fuel card that was accepted at every gas station and motel I encountered.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Ok, well that makes sense. So I'm just would have to just throw the laptop up on the dash when I'm using it I suppose?

That's the only reason I wanted the dash unit... so I wouldn't have to look to far away from the road.
They do make stands that you can mount your laptop in your truck. They cost in the $175 to $250 range. Or if you are a little handy, you can make your own for a whole lot less.
http://www.dieselboss.com/stand.htm
Old 09-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Rookie

That thing is awesome. I definitely would want one. One question though. I will have a passenger in that seat a lot. Would that stand be in the way for them to get in and out of the seat.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:04 PM

Your taking your girlfriend...What else do you need? Have her read the map and tell you were to go. :lol: Seriously. I was in the same boat as you were. Didn't have squat, not even heat in Michigan in the middle of winter. I got disgruntled very fast. I think how you start something determines greatly how you finish or even if you continue. Good luck with it.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Schneider/Tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
Have you possed your Schneider questions on pumpkindriver.com? BOL
I just signed up for that site. I'll ask there also.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
Yeah, get SIRIUS instead of XM.
Other than that, did SNI accept you?
I would not buy either at this time. The merger is about to be approved by the FCC, and the whole thing will change.

There will be an option to keep your service as is with either existing XM or Sirius channels for the current subsription price, OR they will have customizable options, such as 60 channels, your choice, mix-n-match from both services, cannot remember the cost, but it is about the same as the existing set-up.

The problem is, that for the customizable option, where you select from both services, A new radio will need to be purchased that will except the feed from both. The latest press release stated that the new radios would more than likely not be available at the time the merger is completed, but will be out soon after.

As far as current service, if you really want to know what is going on in the Wonderful World of Trucking (WWT), you will need XM and listen to XM 171 - Open Road. Sirius' Trucking channel does not even come close on information. The only thing Sirius has that I want, is my NASCAR Channel, so once the new set-up takes place - looks like I will be buying a new reciever.

OH, Sirius has the NFL, XM has the NLB and NHL.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 09-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Rookie

I've had XM before and I love it. I I had to choose between the two I'd get XM just because of Opie and Anthony. But I would really love a mix between the 2. If I had the nfl and opie and anthony it would be perfect.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I've had XM before and I love it. I I had to choose between the two I'd get XM just because of Opie and Anthony. But I would really love a mix between the 2. If I had the nfl and opie and anthony it would be perfect.
The mix will be available, just no one knows for sure when everything will be final. Looks like sometime in 2008 from last report I read. Just read something the other day, that sayed one plan would allow every channel, except the premium ones, from both services could be available for around $18.00 a month. Who needs that many channels, on XM, there are only 6 or 7 I listen too on a regular basis.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA