User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

As far as GPS goes, I would go with one that works on your laptop, the HUGE screen is much nicer then a small dash mounted one, also you than have the opportunity to try out different programs. Now a GPS that using bluetooth or usb to connect to laptop is extremely cheap, the programs to work it, are not, but even a GPS receiver and good software will be cheaper than any all in one unit. Personally I have a Holux 236, which works on both my Palm TX and laptop.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Sprint/Nextel ic502 hybrid. Uses Sprint network for vioce call and Nextel network for direct connect(walkie talkie). Great phone and even greater coverage. I also use a bluetooth headset so I have both hands available for driving.

Sprint Pantech Broadband internet card. Card was free and $59 a month for unlimited use.

HP laptop. I use Microsoft Streets and Trips with their GPS recv. I have the laptop mounted on a ram mount stand and set up right next to where the dashboard ends. The mount is fully adjustable and I can swing it back to where I can use it while sitting in the sleeper.

XM Radio Roadie

13 inch color TV/DVD combo.

Fridge. Gotta have one of these to save money.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Senior Board Member

I think when it comes time to replace my laptop I may go with a tablet style. These have a touchscreen, and yes, that big screen makes a huge difference. The touchscreen is a great investment as I don't have to look for the mouse cursor on the screen. Just touch where I need to.

This is one example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179877038282

Here's another, but it also has Sprint/Verizon wireless built in: http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...5&displayTab=O
Old 09-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Well....
Two speeding tickets in 3 years. SNI probably wont call you back.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
Well....
Two speeding tickets in 3 years. SNI probably wont call you back.
To qualify for employment / lease with Schneider National, you must at least meet the following criteria:
Be at least 21 years old
Must be either a U.S. or Canadian Citizen or be authorized to live and work in the U.S. or Canada
Have a Class A Commercial, AZ/Class 1 Commercial Driver.s Permit or License (CDL) in the state/province of your residence
Pass a Department of Transportation Physical and Drug Screen
No convictions for Reckless Driving in the past 5 years (never in a Commercial Vehicle)
No more than 2 Moving Violations in the past 12 months; no more than 4 in the past 36 months
No License Suspensions due to Moving Violations in the past 3 years; no more than 1 suspension in the past 10 years; no more than 2 suspensions in your lifetime
No convictions for Alcohol or Drug-Related Offenses in a motor vehicle in the past 5 years, no more than 1 in the past 10 years; no more than 2 in your lifetime (never in a Commercial Vehicle)
No pending Criminal or Motor Vehicle Charges
Old 09-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Help get me up and going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun
First of all, this is my first post on this forum, I just found it last night and I think it's a great resource.

I need some help. I got my CDL through Prime a few years ago (maybe 4). I think I set myself up to fail and only made it for 6 months before I quit. From there I went on to work at a few different local jobs. I ended up driving a straight truck for the last year and a half or so.

Well now I'm ready to give it another try. I've applied to Schneider and I want to get prepared to make it work this time.

Before I didn't even have a cell phone, no internet, no gps. It was just me, my qualcomm, cb, and atlast book. I could only call for directions if I stopped at a payphone.

This time I have my girlfriend going with me, I have my cell phone, I'm getting a GPS system, xm radio, and a wireless internet card for my laptop. I really believe that being pretty much cut off from the rest of the world my first time around made me so miserable that I just couldn't take it.

So can you help me out with what I should buy...
I have sprint service for my cell phone. So, should I go with their wireless internet?

What GPS system would you recommend? I read the 5 page long discussion on this topic but never really came up with a final conclusion except that I shouldn't totally rely on it for trip planning, but use it as a tool. I don't want to spend a fortune on this, but I'm not looking for the cheapest. I just want to know which one is good for what I need. This is very important to me because I believe another reason I didn't make it before is because I was scared to death of getting lost in that big truck.

And if there's anything else you'd recommend to go ahead and get before I take the plunge, let me know. I have some money to play with and I want to give myself the best chance to succeed. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Oh, the horror...!!!

This post makes me think of someone taking a top of the line motor coach out to the woods and coming home and telling the neighbors they'd been "camping"...

Just messing with you, but I'm sure there's a few "oldtimers" reading this post and :roll:
Old 09-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Rookie

I think I could much rather prefer to have a dash mounted gps receiver than using my laptop. Are there any good ones?

All I really want it for is for when I get close the shipper/receiver to get me through the city.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Board Member

The problem is that *NONE* of the standalone gps units are set up for trucks. They will not take into consideration the length, height or weight into consideration when doing the routing.

Even though CoPilot isn't perfect, it works great for me.

As far as using my laptop, I do. However it's mounted in the bunk and I only use the touchscreen monitor while driving. It's a 7" widescreen unit that I have mounted to my sun visor.

This is the unit I use: http://store.mp3car.com/Xenarc_700TSV_p/mon-004.htm
This is another good one: http://store.mp3car.com/Lilliput_7_V..._p/mon-001.htm
Old 09-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Why incur the extra cost of a external GPS? A goog one will run you $250-300 or more. You can get the Microsoft Streets and Trips with the GPS receiver for half that amount. And it will update construction zones too. The new version also has the talk capabilty that tells you when to turn and so forth. Plus the screen will much larger to see. I gotta tell you. I've had S&T for several years and upgrade every year and it is the best around. But hey, that's just my opinion. :wink:

Old 09-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Rookie

Ok, well that makes sense. So I'm just would have to just throw the laptop up on the dash when I'm using it I suppose?

That's the only reason I wanted the dash unit... so I wouldn't have to look to far away from the road.