LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Please HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22accordcd7
I'm A New Driver Recently Out Of School. On My Way To Tennessee I Got A Speeding Ticket In Va. In My 4wheeler (85 In A 65, Damn Rental Cars Drive So Smooth It Sure Didn't Seem Like 85) Heading To The 1st Company I Was With (Usf Glenmoore). Then, My First Week On The Truck I Had An Accident (Preventable Non reportable) Out In California. I Know Poop Happens But It Seems Like No Companies Feel The Same. Swift Just Turned Me Down For Reasons Unknown To Me (They're Not At Liberty To Disclose Why) But I'm Sure It Has To Do With My Incidents. So Can Anyone Tell Me, Am I Royally Screwed? Do I Have Any Options And If So What Would They Be? Should I Try For A Dump truck Job Or Are There Any Companies Willing To Work With Me? I'd Hate To See The 4500.00 I Spent On School Flushed Down The Drain In 1 Bad Week. Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

First of all,did you just pay for the ticket?Rule number one you NEVER just
pay for a ticket. When you have a cdl you have to fight every ticket with a hired lawyer.It can get expensive but worth it. Get an MVR report and see what is on there. IF that ticket is on there than your only chance of getting hired with a company is to hire a lawyer and take it to trial and/or have it expunged.Having 2 incidents in one week usually shows trouble to most carriers and not having any driving experience doesn't help either since most insurance companies won't accept it. You may not be able to do anything about the incident but there may be a chance with getting rid of the ticket.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Rookie

thank you, thats how i thought replies would be, no i didnt just pay the ticket, its not even thru trial yet, just pending. i live in pa and it was in va, should i get a lawyer from here to go down with me or should i get a lawyer from down there? thanks again for the respect.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
thank you, thats how i thought replies would be, no i didnt just pay the ticket, its not even thru trial yet, just pending. i live in pa and it was in va, should i get a lawyer from here to go down with me or should i get a lawyer from down there? thanks again for the respect.
call a lawyer in the area of the ticket,they will usually show up for you and atleast get it down to a non points ticket.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:13 AM
Rookie

non-points ticket.... does that mean the speed will be reduced too? also, any idea, if just a rough estimate, on the cost of a good lawyer? and thank you for your respect its refreshing
Old 09-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
non-points ticket.... does that mean the speed will be reduced too? also, any idea, if just a rough estimate, on the cost of a good lawyer? and thank you for your respect its refreshing

The cost for a lawyer can range anywhere from 300.00 to 500.00 plus the cost of the ticket.For a ticket to be nonpoints either the speed will get reduced OR the ticket may be changed to a nonmoving violation. Some counties may even offer probation or disposition. Im not sure how Va. is with speeding tickets but a good lawyer will be able to get it reduced or change the charge altogether.BTW,in the future you may save on attorney fees by becoming a member of Driver's legal plan. I think this is their website.www.driverslegalplan.com. Their membership fees are only 150.00 a year and they will charge a flat fee of 100.00 for every ticket once you are a member regardless of what court they go to.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Rookie

wow that sounds like a sweet deal, i'll definatley check that out. one other question just came to mind, is it true that a company that you've applied to, gone through their orientation, was about to be placed on a truck with a trainer but denies your employment can do so without being obligated (maybe obligated is the wrong word... when i asked why they told me "we are not at liberty to disclose this information) to tell you why? how do i know its not for discriminatory reasons they denied me, or if its something they saw on my DAC dont i get the chance to dispute it before they just write me off? i know pa is an at-will state but would that apply when i didnt even get hired?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:09 AM

What's wrong with pumping gas ?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:43 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
one other question just came to mind, is it true that a company that you've applied to, gone through their orientation, was about to be placed on a truck with a trainer but denies your employment can do so without being obligated (maybe obligated is the wrong word... when i asked why they told me "we are not at liberty to disclose this information) to tell you why?
They do not have to tell you anything.

Quote:
how do i know its not for discriminatory reasons they denied me,
You don't.

Quote:
or if its something they saw on my DAC dont i get the chance to dispute it before they just write me off?
No

Quote:
i know pa is an at-will state but would that apply when i didnt even get hired?
No company is under any kind of an obligation to hire you if they invite you to orientation. An invitation to orientation is just that...an invitation. Most companies do no consider you an employee until you are in that truck, signed off, and rolling with a load. In those cases, simply telling you to go home is completely within their rights.

However, there are some companies that consider you an employeed as soon as your foot hits their terminal. In those cases, if they send you home from orientation, you just got terminated, which is infinitely worse.

You got mad at a lot of the advice on this thread and while some guys were giving you a hard time, the advice is still valid. You are not in good shape as far as getting a trucking job. You might get lucky and find something, but the chances are not good. The advice of going to work elsewhere is valid. Let things drop off and cool down for you and you'll have a better chance.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Board Regular

It must be Urabus, he's out of prison again. :roll:
Old 09-15-2007, 07:17 AM

*ROTFLMAO* You forgot Hardree's and Sonic-Drivein or maybe --------------------Welcome to walmart ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
You guys are just wrong.

:shock: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, though, the OP is going to have a nearly impossible time of getting into the trucking industry at this time. I'd go find something else for a few years before trying again. Keep your record clean, too.

Just helping him out until his record clears. He's got to work.
:lol: :lol: :lol: