User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who should go into trucking?

I have been looking into OTR sinse 2004. I have done a fair amt of research and have learned a lot from the posts here. There has been much advise given in this and other forums for wannabes as to whether or not to make "the" change. Many have said if you have young children to avoid OTR (I would have to agree with this), or newly married or a number of other reasons one should avoid this industry. To those who are currently making your living driving, WHO SHOULD GO INTO TRUCKING ? Bodies are needed to fill the seats, so what kind of person and\or what kind of situation is more suited for this industry ?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:23 AM

I would think that people who have just gotten out of the military may be suited better than most because the are used to being away from home...
People who have family members who drive. The first time i went out in a big rig, I was a kid. Went out with my uncle overnight and thought it was fun. I thought about for many years before I decided to give it a chance.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 AM
Rookie

married to the road, what finally caused you to make the decision to start dirving?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:55 AM
Senior Board Member

here's my 2cents worth .. and I'm sure other will disagree and some may understand where I'm coming from. ..... And I think it goes for male or females, but a person has to have a bit of a gypy spirit about them, never knowing where your going to spend the night, or which way your going to be traveling in a matter of a few days. A person who enjoy's meeting new people daily and knowing that they'll not see each other again or it may be months before you walk into a TS and see someone you've met weeks ago. Someone who is a bit of a 'loner' and can enjoy your own time alone. You spend alot of time by yourself and with your own thoughts.

Someone is independent, and doesn't need others to tell them every step to take and someone who can make snag decisions at any given moment. .. If you have a family at home ... both you and them need to be in agreement that this job will benefit both of you and your relationship is strong BEFORE you ever decide to drive otr ... you need to be able to save your money and find ways to eat 'out of your truck' and not give it away in the TS .... that's not the reason your on the road.

When there's children involved or a loved one at home that isn't secure within them selves .... this job isn't the best kind to have.

I'm single and my children are grown ... so I don't have to answer to anyone for the decisions I make .... and if I should meet someone down the road .... I need not feel gulity about enjoying a beer and laughter with them, because a loved one is back home waiting for me. ....... The day's are long, and the nights can get longer. .... But I've found alot of enjoyment rolling down the hwys across this country we live in and Canada. ........... You need to have a bit of adventure in your personality and never want life to get boreing ... it's all what You make it.

If this is something your seriously considering ..... go for it ! ..... You'll never regret it, and you'll be able to use your license in other areas of work ... if you decide not to continue driving .... Life is an adventure ... don't let it pass you by. Ask yourself .... if 20yrs from now your seating on your front porch ... will you look back and say " dang, I wish I would of decided to drive semi for a living?"

Good luck in the future.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 09-04-2007, 03:56 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Who should go into trucking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr green jeans
To those who are currently making your living driving, WHO SHOULD GO INTO TRUCKING ? Bodies are needed to fill the seats, so what kind of person and\or what kind of situation is more suited for this industry ?
The first question you must ask is WHY are there so many bodies needed to fill seats? Why are these OTR outfits constantly advertising 40K, 50K, and even 60K and yet still can't find enough drivers?

The answer is that when you tally up all the hours spent on the job and time away from home, the job really doesn't pay all that well. Any extra $$$$ you make on the road goes right out the window in truckstop meals, showers, laundry, etc. What's left over is a meager hourly wage.

I did the OTR thing for awhile and it didn't work out for me. That's because I prefer to have a life away from the job and if you drive OTR, you won't have one. Nor will you see your family more than a few times per month. OTR is a lifestyle, which is a nice way of saying that you eat, sleep, live and breathe in the truck day in/day out, week in/week out for weeks and even months at a stretch. You live to work instead of work to live. That may be why it appeals to so many ex-cons as they are familliar with the confined space of the big truck regardless of what's rolling by.

My advice is don't do it.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:32 AM
Rookie

VERY INTERESTING. With the same info and responding to the same post one suggested to "go for it" and one vote to avoid trucking altogether. Having spent over 20 yrs in an industry outside of trucking I have noticed that one person's dream is another's nightmare. Many look at trucking through some romantic haze, having visions of seeing the country and not being accountable to anyone. I do agree that truking is a lifestyle (having a brother and brother-in-law in the business), but every vocation is a lifestyle in one form or another. Things seem to always look better over there, that guy must make more than me, have it better than me. Many industries are not what they seem (including mine), but the transportation industry is more visable because it involves so many more people. I would not recommend to anyone to do what I do, but that is because I see all the bad and the negatives. I have the utmost respect for all who chose to make your living this way and I look at this industry as an opportunity to make more money long term than many other things out there. The thing that many dislike about this industry is exactly what attracts many to it. It is so vast, that, if you keep your nose clean, you can chose who you want to work for and demand top pay. Many other industries are more narrow, not allowing this flexability. Many of us may never make the "change" and while we may not know what we would be getting ourselves into, we do know what we are currently into. Thus, the continued interest in an industry that many in it, take for granted.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:39 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by for4roses
here's my 2cents worth .. and I'm sure other will disagree and some may understand where I'm coming from. ..... And I think it goes for male or females, but a person has to have a bit of a gypy spirit about them, never knowing where your going to spend the night, or which way your going to be traveling in a matter of a few days. A person who enjoy's meeting new people daily and knowing that they'll not see each other again or it may be months before you walk into a TS and see someone you've met weeks ago. Someone who is a bit of a 'loner' and can enjoy your own time alone. You spend alot of time by yourself and with your own thoughts.

Someone is independent, and doesn't need others to tell them every step to take and someone who can make snag decisions at any given moment. .. If you have a family at home ... both you and them need to be in agreement that this job will benefit both of you and your relationship is strong BEFORE you ever decide to drive otr ... you need to be able to save your money and find ways to eat 'out of your truck' and not give it away in the TS .... that's not the reason your on the road.

When there's children involved or a loved one at home that isn't secure within them selves .... this job isn't the best kind to have.

I'm single and my children are grown ... so I don't have to answer to anyone for the decisions I make .... and if I should meet someone down the road .... I need not feel gulity about enjoying a beer and laughter with them, because a loved one is back home waiting for me. ....... The day's are long, and the nights can get longer. .... But I've found alot of enjoyment rolling down the hwys across this country we live in and Canada. ........... You need to have a bit of adventure in your personality and never want life to get boreing ... it's all what You make it.

If this is something your seriously considering ..... go for it ! ..... You'll never regret it, and you'll be able to use your license in other areas of work ... if you decide not to continue driving .... Life is an adventure ... don't let it pass you by. Ask yourself .... if 20yrs from now your seating on your front porch ... will you look back and say " dang, I wish I would of decided to drive semi for a living?"

Good luck in the future.
couldn't agree more.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 09-04-2007, 04:58 AM

In the years since deregulation in 1980, median earnings have dropped 30% and most OTR drivers earn less than half of pre-regulation wages. Work weeks average more than 70 hours per week with no overtime. Today's American long-haul truckers are working harder and earning less than at any time during the last four decades. Conditions are so poor and the medieval piece-rate pay system so unfair that OTR companies compete with the fast-food industry for workers. Your average run-of-the mill carrier averages a whopping 120% annual driver turnover.

The real problem is open, unrestricted entry to the trucking business. It has resulted in under-financed companies operating 80,000-pound equipment at highway speeds where aggressive competition drives the economy. When the freight rates drop below the cost of doing business, deferred maintenance becomes widespread. The 22% national out of service rating for Class 8 vehicles is proof in the pudding enough for me. In the last decade more Americans died in truck accidents than in the Vietnam War...225 per week and rising...the equivalent of an airline crash every seven days.

That's the facts, Jack. Run, don't walk away from irregular-route over-the-road trucking!!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

and most OTR drivers earn less than half of pre-regulation wages

Where and the World did you come up with that one? I drove "Pre-Deregulation" up until '04 and that is hardly the Facts.

To the Poster-Do what you feel is right for You
Old 09-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.