User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Serious Problem!!!

I recieved a ticket on the outside of Inianapolis, IN by the IHP for "Disobeying a Traffic Device"!!! I was just about to send the payment out and I noticed that its a moving violation!!! Now I live like 4+ hours away and drive all week.... what am I to do? I obviously CANNOT settle for anymore points on my license!!! PLEASE.... any advise would be GREAT!!!

Oh, and its Indiana Statute 9-21-8-41 ($150 fine, and I'm almost sure points, but can't find out how many!!!) if that means anything???
Old 09-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Serious Problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
So as many of you know I recieved a ticket a week or so ago on the outside of Inianapolis, IN for "Disobeying a Traffic Device"!!! I was just about to send the payment out and I noticed that its a moving violation!!! Now I live like 4+ hours away and drive all week.... what am I to do? I obviously CANNOT settle for anymore points on my license!!! PLEASE.... any advise would be GREAT!!!

Oh, and its Indiana Statute 9-21-8-41 ($150 fine, and I'm almost sure points, but can't find out how many!!!) if that means anything???

Indiana used to offer disposition 2 years ago. Not sure if they still do. Check with the court and see if they offer a disposition. In other words,don't receive another ticket for 6 months or a year and the ticket gets dismissed. If they don't offer deferred disposition,than the only other option is to give it to a lawyer who can plead it down to a nonmoving charge.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Board Regular

So I looked on a Indiana website and discovered this.....

9-21-8-41 Disregarding official traffic control device 6 Point Violation
Old 09-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Of course it's a moving violation. A bad one too. Not obeying signs in a construction zone. I don't know about Indiana, but in a lot of states the fines are very hefty for those.

Quote:
IC 9-21-8-41
Traffic control devices; obeyance of instructions; highway worksites; extraordinary care; safety controls
Sec. 41. (a) A person who drives a vehicle or street car may not disobey the instructions of an official traffic control device placed in accordance with this article unless otherwise directed by a police officer.
(b) When a traffic control device or flagman is utilized at a worksite on a highway for traffic control, a person who drives a vehicle shall exercise extraordinary care to secure the mutual safety of all persons and vehicles at the worksite.
(c) All traffic shall observe and obey traffic control devices including signals, signs, and warnings, and all directions, signs, or warning devices that may be given or displayed by a police officer or flagman to safely control traffic movement at a worksite and promote safety at a worksite.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Of course it's a moving violation. A bad one too. Not obeying signs in a construction zone. I don't know about Indiana, but in a lot of states the fines are very hefty for those.

Quote:
IC 9-21-8-41
Traffic control devices; obeyance of instructions; highway worksites; extraordinary care; safety controls
Sec. 41. (a) A person who drives a vehicle or street car may not disobey the instructions of an official traffic control device placed in accordance with this article unless otherwise directed by a police officer.
(b) When a traffic control device or flagman is utilized at a worksite on a highway for traffic control, a person who drives a vehicle shall exercise extraordinary care to secure the mutual safety of all persons and vehicles at the worksite.
(c) All traffic shall observe and obey traffic control devices including signals, signs, and warnings, and all directions, signs, or warning devices that may be given or displayed by a police officer or flagman to safely control traffic movement at a worksite and promote safety at a worksite.

Yeah, but I NEVER disobeyed it??? It was an honest mistake!!! :cry:
Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Board Regular

So in other words I need to call the court tomorrow morning to explore my options? Then call a traffic lawyer in Indiana.... and hope I don't have to be present??
Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
So in other words I need to call the court tomorrow morning to explore my options? Then call a traffic lawyer in Indiana.... and hope I don't have to be present??

Yes.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
So in other words I need to call the court tomorrow morning to explore my options? Then call a traffic lawyer in Indiana.... and hop I don't have to be present??
I've never heard of a driver not being present for a motor vehicle court date. Listen, if you're being honest and full of bs, you've got serious problems. Here's a copy of a posting you had earlier.

Quote:
When I was with my last employer, we were base+commission, had a million time stops, so we were always hammered down! Anyways, ALL in 2006 I received the following:

Speed 63 in a 55 (Commercial vehicle)- I was guilty as ever, but who would of thought they would ticket me for 8 over... :roll:

2 points

Speed 65 in a 55 (Motorcycle)- Again, guilty, but I was on a sunday cruise in the country.... nothin but cows, I mean COME ON!!!!

2 points

Marked Lanes (Non-Preventable Accident)- A car decided I was turning too slow and attempted to sneek around me! My lug nuts caught the rear end of his car, popped his tire, and put a couple scrapes on his quarter panel. No injuries and I don't even believe it was D.O.T. reportable???

4 points

Yeah, thats all I have in the last 3 years! 2006 was a rough year for me. But I was wondering what the problem was with companies not really being interested in me.... and then I seen my M.V.R.!!! 1 point for each of the speeds, and 4 points for the marked lanes/accident!!! Thats a total of 6 damn points!!! NO WONDER.... :cry: Is there anything I can do to get my record cleaned up other then wait??? I mean appeals, get a lawyer, ect??? HELP!!!!
Now according to IN motor vehicles and your statement, you should have 8 points, not 6. But even with 6, plus another 6 for this ticket that leaves just 6 more and you'll have a suspension.

You need a lawyer and a damn good one. As you know CMV tickets can't be downgraded or moved to traffic school anymore. Either you're guilty or not.[/b]

Old 09-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
So in other words I need to call the court tomorrow morning to explore my options? Then call a traffic lawyer in Indiana.... and hop I don't have to be present??
I've never heard of a driver not being present for a motor vehicle court date. Listen, if you're being honest and full of bs, you've got serious problems. Here's a copy of a posting you had earlier.

Quote:
When I was with my last employer, we were base+commission, had a million time stops, so we were always hammered down! Anyways, ALL in 2006 I received the following:

Speed 63 in a 55 (Commercial vehicle)- I was guilty as ever, but who would of thought they would ticket me for 8 over... :roll:

2 points

Speed 65 in a 55 (Motorcycle)- Again, guilty, but I was on a sunday cruise in the country.... nothin but cows, I mean COME ON!!!!

2 points

Marked Lanes (Non-Preventable Accident)- A car decided I was turning too slow and attempted to sneek around me! My lug nuts caught the rear end of his car, popped his tire, and put a couple scrapes on his quarter panel. No injuries and I don't even believe it was D.O.T. reportable???

4 points

Yeah, thats all I have in the last 3 years! 2006 was a rough year for me. But I was wondering what the problem was with companies not really being interested in me.... and then I seen my M.V.R.!!! 1 point for each of the speeds, and 4 points for the marked lanes/accident!!! Thats a total of 6 damn points!!! NO WONDER.... :cry: Is there anything I can do to get my record cleaned up other then wait??? I mean appeals, get a lawyer, ect??? HELP!!!!
Now according to IN motor vehicles and your statement, you should have 8 points, not 6. But even with 6, plus another 6 for this ticket that leaves just 6 more and you'll have a suspension.

You need a lawyer and a damn good one. As you know CMV tickets can't be downgraded or moved to traffic school anymore. Either you're guilty or not.[/b]

Well actually all of my points are in Ohio..... and a total of 6. But should I plea guilty to this, I'm sure the points would transfer over to my Ohio MVR??? I was wondering if I called the prosecutors office and spoke to him/her about a lesser plea.... maybe more of a fine with no or A LOT less points, seeing as how this WAS an honest mistake of a new out of state driver?? If that don't work, I guess call an attorney in that area???
Old 09-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Click the link below, and join this plan (or one like it), this is the one offered my Attorny Jim Klepper, most drivers are familiar with him. He will help with you existing citation. This can be your insurance policy for you CDL.

http://www.driverslegalplan.com/