User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default need out of factory

I am about to leave a job (good paying job) and try to be a truck driver.I have always wanted do do it but never had the guts to try.I have been in a factory for 17 years (paint plant)and I just can not do it any more. the heat in the summer is brutle ? my doctor wants me out of there I made 53k last year thats with alot of overtime also most important is my family.I have a wife and 2 little girls 3 and 19 months just hope they will be ok. My heart is in this I have done alot of research and have decided to go for it.I will be going to millis for a start( thinking about o/o after I get to know the ins and outs of the biz.)thinking 1 or 2 years.Can really use your support thanks
Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Board Regular

Well congratulations on your decision first of all. It takes gonads to walk away from something you have done for years. I know cause I did it 2 years ago. My parents thought I was nuts, but my dad is old school, you know stay with the company that is paying you well and find a retirement. Anyways,

The first thing you need to do is search as many posts on this forum as you can. If you have not noticed there is a search function for your needs if you are looking for a specific answer to a question or would like to hear other peoples opinions about something.

As far as your family is concerned you will not be at home everyday obviously and you could be away for weeks at a time depending on where you land a job. If you want this to work you will need your familys support 100% Divorce rates are pretty high among truckers. I have 2 friends who have divorced since they made the move. But I have also seen couples get stronger cause they are not around all the time. I know weird.

I started with Roehl when I jumped into this. I had good luck with them and bad luck. Hometime was good however. Whenever I said I wanted to be home by a certain day I was home.

You need to sit down and really make sure OTR is what you want. Not just for you but your 3 and 19 month old and your wife. Do lots of research and understand OTR is a lifestyle!!! If OTR is not your cup of tea then you could always find a local gig maybe humping groceries for maybe Sysco or US Food. You could also try getting on with an LTL ABF from what I hear will hire newbies but you will have to go there training center after you get your license for I think six weeks or so. But the pay will be awesome and you will be home everyday. depending on what part your doing.

Well I have much more I could say but i would be here all day. Dont forget to use the search funstion on here.

Good Luck
Old 09-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Trucking isn't for a family man. Maybe start your own business.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
You need to sit down and really make sure OTR is what you want.
One of the best pieces of advice any wannabe will get.

Be really sure to spend a lot of time talking to your wife about what you are thinking about doing and make sure that she supports this 110%. If not something will go bust. You will either not make it as a OTR/regional driver or your marriage may fail.

While some will tell you that OTR is not for a family person, IMHO, that is going a little too far. I think it is more accurate to say that being an OTR driver will totally change your family dynamic and place strains on your relationships that would not be there otherwise. This is not to say that you are doomed to divorce court, just saying that it is something to be aware of and understand. Many active duty military go through the same type of thing and while some fail others make it work, and the same goes with trucking.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: need out of factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalman
I am about to leave a job (good paying job) and try to be a truck driver.I have always wanted do do it but never had the guts to try.I have been in a factory for 17 years (paint plant)and I just can not do it any more. the heat in the summer is brutle ? my doctor wants me out of there I made 53k last year thats with alot of overtime also most important is my family.I have a wife and 2 little girls 3 and 19 months just hope they will be ok. My heart is in this I have done alot of research and have decided to go for it.I will be going to millis for a start( thinking about o/o after I get to know the ins and outs of the biz.)thinking 1 or 2 years.Can really use your support thanks
I don't recommend leaving the job with the children at that age.. I don't think its whats best for the family.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Dont do it. You are better off where you are.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Move to another position in the factory, learn a new job in the factory, get a degree or more training.. stay home!!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:26 AM

I asked for support not should I do it or not . have you worked in factory for 17 years there is no moving my body cant take the heat any more and the fumes are kiling me tired of clocking in and out I hate my job.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Rookie

I feel your pain Bengalman I also work in a factory and have been for the past 19 years. I would just love to walk out those doors and never look back, It's just hard to walk away from a steady paycheck and the only thing you know for so long for the unknown! I went to sage school this past spring and got my cdl's just haven't worked up the guts to make the leap and I may never . I thought I was ready till graduation day came and I got cold feet. I've had my class A's for almost 7 mos now and still at the factory bit##in every day but still I stay. So just know you're not alone Believe me when I say I really do know where you're coming from. BOL too you and let us know what you decide
Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalman
I asked for support not should I do it or not . have you worked in factory for 17 years there is no moving my body cant take the heat any more and the fumes are kiling me tired of clocking in and out I hate my job.
No but I've been in THIS industry for almost a quarter of a damn century.. If you asking if you should make your wife a single parent and your children for all intents and purposes fatherless, you will not get it from me.

You make more now than you will for close to 5 or six years with one company here.. you probably have real hours with days off at home, you probably have a lot of vacation and sick or PTO time, you sleep in your own bed and have a life outside of your job... you have been warned that ALL of this goes bye bye the moment that you get into a truck. If you kids were a lot older and you were destitute, I might say "go for it". You have some romantic ideals of trucking that almost surely are not what you will experience.