User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I hear you fozzy and I think it will be rough but when your doctor tells you to get out of your job because of health (asthma) my back is against the wall. I love my kids so much it kills me to do this but I have to support them. I tried to find another job they are around 10.hr why not give it a try cant I get a local driving job after I get my cdl plus some exp.if it does not work out
Old 09-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Default re

I worked in a factory for quite a few year's and made good money but hated it. Luckily I had my cdl already and drove 2-3 day's a week so I knew what I was getting into going fulltime driver. Wish you the best of luck in your venture..
Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Bengalman"]I hear you fozzy and I think it will be rough but when your doctor tells you to get out of your job because of health (asthma) my back is against the wall. I love my kids so much it kills me to do this but I have to support them. I tried to find another job they are around 10.hr why not give it a try cant I get a local driving job after I get my cdl plus some exp.if it does not work out[/quote]

Before you make going local a part of your plan if things don't work out, call around and see what local driving jobs pay for your area. Sometimes local jobs pay very little and in some places you can make as much or more than driving OTR.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalman
I hear you fozzy and I think it will be rough but when your doctor tells you to get out of your job because of health (asthma) my back is against the wall. I love my kids so much it kills me to do this but I have to support them. I tried to find another job they are around 10.hr why not give it a try cant I get a local driving job after I get my cdl plus some exp.if it does not work out
Local job takes alot of experience and confidence.

I hope you decide not to do it... How old are you btw?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

I agree- factory work sucks; gotta do what makes ya happy.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
I asked for support not should I do it or not . have you worked in factory for 17 years there is no moving my body cant take the heat any more and the fumes are kiling me tired of clocking in and out I hate my job.
I worked in a foundry for 15 years. There is no place on earth hotter! I had to leave because of an accident. Went to trucking over the road. I hated my job in that foundry many times too but, If I could go back tomorrow I would. For you're families sake stay where you're at. I know you want someone to support your decision, but it ain't gonna be me!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 02:45 AM

I was in the same situation you were.....working in a factory where the conditions would be brutal at times, a lot of 12 hr shifts and weekend work, on top of swinging shifts every week.......and I agree it sucked. That is why I tried truck driving, thought I would enjoy it for many reasons. But I'm starting to find out now after 7 months that it isn't a walk in the park by any means, and I sometimes find myself wishing I had my factory job back, so I could be at home sleeping in my own bed rather than struggling to find a damn parking spot at a truck stop so I can just go to bed. My point here is, make sure you really know what you are getting into. Talk to all the people on these boards, and get both sides of the story. Especially since you have a family, you might find that it is very very tough to have any kind of life doing this job, because the 2 or 3 days that you are home at a time will be spent doing work around the house and things of that nature. I know this might not all be what you want to hear, but I'm just trying to give you the other side of the story and I'm not trying to discourage you at all whatsoever. The only way to find out if it would work for you is to try it, and see what happens. But just make sure you have done your research and know what you are getting into..........because similar to a factory job, in this job you will find that a lot of times you are nothing but a work horse.

Anyways, best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:53 AM

Oh yeah and about your doctor saying you need to get out of what you are doing now because of the heat..........keep in mind that if you get into trucking your doctor may be telling you to quit your job because of the stress.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:15 AM

Im 40 and only had 2 jobs in 20 years both factory
Old 09-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Im 40 and only had 2 jobs in 20 years both factory
Bengalman: You asked for support, because you have allready made, or are leaning heavily towards, a decision. Well, here it is....

You're somewhat in a "midlife crisis." Your life is half over, and you've spent it all in a FACTORY!! :roll: You're SICk of it.... but mostly, you're sick of what little you have DONE with your life!

Punching a clock is the most demeaning thing a MAN has to do! There ARE options!

It is human nature that the fear of the unknown often outweighs the "security" of the KNOWN! Are you just an AVERAGE human?

Many here say it is possible to get a local gig right out of school. I wouldn't know, cuz I didn't even WANT to TRY! But, you should look into it. But, a few years OTR will make ALL those possibilities a reality for you! What is a few years OTR??? Nothing the average graduate can't do by going in the military! It ain't SQUAT!! The sacrifice (sometimes ulitimate) that these young men make for family AND country, makes what you are considering a cakewalk!

I HOPE you have saved some of that money you've been making, because you WILL make less for the first 2 or 3 years! But, if your plan is to go O/O after that, you COULD easily end up making much more for your future!

People are so "short sighted" these days! Not willing to tighten the belt for a few years for a BETTER future! You KNOW, what your future will be in the factory! I cannot TELL you how many O/O's I meet on the road that are pretty much picking and choosing their loads to make what they WANT to make! Like MANY on this board, they have all the necessities of life, and are FREE to take the jobs (or loads) they WANT!

Children less than 5 years old have little or NO recollection later in life of whether you were there or not! The ONLY one that will "miss" anything will be YOU!! And that might hurt a little. But, you're an ADULT!! You're suposed to be able to MAKE sacrifices of your OWN "wants" for the betterment of your family and their future!

Many on here are first in line to tell someone NOT to do it! But, it seems they don't realize that one doesn't stumble onto this site by "surfing" CNN or Myspace.com! MOST come here because they've allready MADE a decision, and are just looking for the truth!

Someone said they'd go BACK to factory work if they could.... they are fooling themselves! It would be the easiest thing in the world to do! They are still in trucking because they LOVE it, or because they don't believe the factory job is a better option!

There are a few out here that are so unhappy, they must obviously be the type who are cut out for factory work! But, MOST of us are NOT! It took you awhile, but perhaps you have come to the conclusion that you are NOT, either! But, it's ALL you KNOW, and therefore, you need a DOCTOR's excuse to flee from it! Well.... whatever it takes!!

I smoke alot, and can't seem to break free from it. My biggest fear is that someday I'll be lying in a hospital bed dying from Cancer, and I'll KNOW that it was my OWN stupidity that got me there! But.... I will NEVER have to die knowing I didn't take chances in my life that allowed me to "sail the seven seas" and see the world!! I did MORE by the time I was 25 that you have probably done in 20 years of factory work! :roll: (And that was WAY before I got into trucking!)

Do you even HAVE a "soul" anymore? Have you searched it lately? Have you asked the question of what is your purpose on this planet? Why are you alive? What will it matter when you die?

If you are wanting to truck because it is an "escape" from the factory, you may be misguided. However, I believe you said it was something you always wanted to do. Even "I" can't say THAT!! But, I CAN say that I have NEVER shied away from changing jobs or careers if it was something I wanted to do!

People say "life is too short!" NO..... actually.... life is too LONG to be MISERABLE!!! And when it's over.... it has to have MEANT something!!

Follow your dreams! If you fail? What's failure? If you die? What's death? The important thing is to LIVE!!! If you can take ANYTHING from this life with you when you die, it will be your MEMORIES! And I don't plan on taking 50 years of working in a factory with ME!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.