User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalman
I hear you fozzy and I think it will be rough but when your doctor tells you to get out of your job because of health (asthma) my back is against the wall. I love my kids so much it kills me to do this but I have to support them. I tried to find another job they are around 10.hr why not give it a try cant I get a local driving job after I get my cdl plus some exp.if it does not work out
I never head of a doctor telling someone to get out of a job.But if so, maybee you should tell HIM to take care of your family. By the way, are you sharing these replies with your better half? It is a 2 way street.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Well in that case, go into trucking and learn really quick you shouldnt have left the factory job.

Go work someplace else but your obligations are to your family, and that inlcudes being home for your family, not just 4x a month.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: need out of factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalman
I am about to leave a job (good paying job) and try to be a truck driver.I have always wanted do do it but never had the guts to try.I have been in a factory for 17 years (paint plant)and I just can not do it any more. the heat in the summer is brutle ? my doctor wants me out of there I made 53k last year thats with alot of overtime also most important is my family.I have a wife and 2 little girls 3 and 19 months just hope they will be ok. My heart is in this I have done alot of research and have decided to go for it.I will be going to millis for a start( thinking about o/o after I get to know the ins and outs of the biz.)thinking 1 or 2 years.Can really use your support thanks
Trucking is very bad for your health. Sitting on yer a$$ for 11+ hours per day along with the poor diet one acquires on the road and the lack of excercise leads to many different health problems. Plus there are no set shifts or schedules. You go from working days, nights, mornings, evenings, afternoons, etc - basically when and where the freight goes. These irregular-work schedules and long 14-hour days are hazardous to your health.

Also, truckers are 7X more likely to be killed on the job than workers in other industries.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Rookie

xcellent post golfhobo
Old 09-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemaes
I worked in a foundry for 15 years. There is no place on earth hotter! I had to leave because of an accident. Went to trucking over the road. I hated my job in that foundry many times too but, If I could go back tomorrow I would.
For balance... I work in a foundry now, sort of, or at least I work out of it. It looks pretty damn miserable to me. I'm glad I don't have to work there. I pick up my castings in the morning, and I bring my empty tubs back in the afternoon, come home, and chill with my family for a few hours before I do it all again.

If you really want out of that dismal place, and you really want to go trucking, then get it out of your system. If you hate it, so what. You won't be the only one.

There are many, many facets to this business. I think long-haul OTR trucking would be just slightly better than putting my testicles through a meat grinder. Maybe. But I've never had to find out, and I'm hell bent on keeping it that way if at all possible. I think it's very possible.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

No wonder the US has to outsource the factory jobs.. Why is everyone complaining when it happens? Obviously, they suck enough that no one can work them. We need more immigrants who can hack it! LOL
Old 09-06-2007, 03:16 AM

thanks golfhobo this is the hardest decision and thinking that i have done in a long time
Old 09-06-2007, 03:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansman
xcellent post golfhobo
As usual
Old 09-06-2007, 04:32 AM
Rookie

Actually Fozzy we need more people here that do not whine, complain and then turn around and ask for there RIGHT to a job. Well remember, just because you are American doesn't give you the RIGHT to sit on YOUR tail, and do nothing but whine, complain and drag the rest of the crew down, to whatever the lowest denominator level that the shop is. We need people that are paid a wage that is better than what was offered in 1985 for what we do. It might get some high school kids interested in engineering, draftsman or being a machinist. Kids now think about games and being able to sell there souls just to get them there next BMW. Blue collar jobs have been and are being outsourced and no one but the blue collar workers whine. Sad part is no one listens to us blue collar workers, they think we are lower than snake crap.
Currently I am in manufacturing and looking at driving for a change of pace. I am finding out that the hispanics are already here,and drove the pay down just like in construction in the early 90's and just like in manufacturing and that the wages have went down from the 1985 level of $20.00 an hour for an experienced machinist to $12.00 an hour and bilingual a plus.
Dam I really wanted to get into another career that might be fun and enjoyable but from what most everyone in here say's ..... IT AINT WORTH IT!!!!

Sean
Old 09-06-2007, 04:47 AM
Board Regular

Just close the tread now and come back in 12 months for a update.