User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i'm ok with may things including sleeping in my truck. the only issues I have are the HOS and pay. I was talking to a seasoned driver, sadly he was making the same per mile back in the 80's that I am making now. cost of living wage for us is way behind
Old 08-12-2007, 12:11 AM

Great points guys but, I think you have derailed this post. It went from why do drivers cut back over to the other lane to fast after passing to financial issues in a hurry.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_knee
Tell you what though, sometimes I'll get a flash of the lights well before I want to move back over. Like when I'm *just* past their bumper. 'Preciate the gesture, but I'm pretty confident in knowing the dimensions of my truck anyway.
Happens to me a lot too. I just ignore it until I'm far enough ahead, which is usually more than twice as far as the minimum. Unless I'm in a pull, and I've got one or more vehicles glued to my back door.

As a flasher over-er, I will give lights when way, way too close for comfort if I see someone else in a pull situation (or someone in the illegal lane), and want to let him get out of everybody's way ASAP. I'll slow down if needs be in that situation. Though usually the guy ignores me and drags on up past the next truck he is overtaking by 19/32 of a mph, with a tail of fourwheelers three miles long waiting to get past him.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
That happens to me all the time. It blows my mind. I can appreciate the gesture when I've got other vehicles backed up behind me, but I even notice it happens a lot in the middle of the night way out in the country with no other vehicles in the area. I just flash the markers and keep going until there is a safe distance.
When I pass a truck and they flash before I'm ready.....I do the same.

Besides hauling sheetrock, I'm also one of 4 drivers that have over size experience. We haul 60-80' steel beams from Phx to Vegas and from Vegas to Otay Mesa (south of San Diego) I get into the mindset that I have that beam back there even when its not. Theres ALOT of drivers that don't even flash their lights when its safe to come back in. As for those drivers that cut back in when they have just cleared your bumper, I get on the radio and mention the company name while telling them in a sarcastic/nice way that I would like my bumper back. Even if they don't have their cb on, other drivers hear and keep an eye out for them.

As for the 4-wheelers following you and cutting back in before you have a chance to pull back in. I turn my flashers on and wait a few seconds for them to notice BEFORE I even start to move....the many times I have a 4-wheeler start to move in and then see my flashers only to whip back in behind me is countless.

Remember....in America, when a vehicle flashes his lights after you turn your flasher on....they are saying "hey big truck....its ok, your safe to come over", but in foreign countries like California....they are telling you to "Stay out of my way"

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 08-12-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom433a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
That happens to me all the time. It blows my mind. I can appreciate the gesture when I've got other vehicles backed up behind me, but I even notice it happens a lot in the middle of the night way out in the country with no other vehicles in the area. I just flash the markers and keep going until there is a safe distance.
When I pass a truck and they flash before I'm ready.....I do the same.

Besides hauling sheetrock, I'm also one of 4 drivers that have over size experience. We haul 60-80' steel beams from Phx to Vegas and from Vegas to Otay Mesa (south of San Diego) I get into the mindset that I have that beam back there even when its not. Theres ALOT of drivers that don't even flash their lights when its safe to come back in. As for those drivers that cut back in when they have just cleared your bumper, I get on the radio and mention the company name while telling them in a sarcastic/nice way that I would like my bumper back. Even if they don't have their cb on, other drivers hear and keep an eye out for them.

As for the 4-wheelers following you and cutting back in before you have a chance to pull back in. I turn my flashers on and wait a few seconds for them to notice BEFORE I even start to move....the many times I have a 4-wheeler start to move in and then see my flashers only to whip back in behind me is countless.

Remember....in America, when a vehicle flashes his lights after you turn your flasher on....they are saying "hey big truck....its ok, your safe to come over", but in foreign countries like California....they are telling you to "Stay out of my way"

"Hey", I was born in ca, were not all that way. Maybe 95% are , but the other 5% of us are curtius and respect others on the road. Thanks now I know why trucks won't change lanes when I flash my lights.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Rookie

I hate when the 4 wheelers cut off my bumper to get out of the way of another 4 wheeler makes you wonder witch one they are more scared of in an accident. It dosent bother me to bad except when they dont stay on the throttle after passing and I have to slow down to shut off that annoying vorad