User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Benefits Negotiation

Hi, Folks

Wondering if you can give me a feel for the culture of new hire package negotiation with trucking companies. Hubby and I are thinking about changing careers to become an otr team. We've been looking closely at Watkins Shepard and Crete. WS looks interesting due to one month training.

The thing that's off-putting to us is that they offer only one week vacation after the first year of employment, which is shocking to us. We're not kids right out of college...we've worked many years accruing humane benefits for human beings so this factor would be an enormous step down for us. Before I plan my negotiation strategy, I'm interested to know if any of you out there were successful in negotiating you benefits structure with your company. Example, extra vacation time, or having your dog with you right away instead of having to wait 90 days. Things like that.

Thanks in advance. This forum is a God-send.

JJ
Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Negotiation is one thing, but not when you're looking to get hired on somewhere, especially with no experience right out of the door.

The facts are pretty straight-forward. You have no experience in the industry and therefore, have nothing with which to negotiate with. It would be one thing if you had years under your belt and even then, it would likely avail you not.

1 week of vacation after 1 year is pretty standard fare and if a company were to make an exception for you, they'd end up having to make that exception for every driver, experienced and not, that came in thinking they deserved it because of their past work history. So, give this one up. This isn't a CEO job, it's a trucking job. Going into a trucking job trying to negotiate more vacation is likely going to get you started on the wrong foot. I don't say that to be mean...it's just the way it is.

As far as the pet goes, that's a little grayer area. You certainly wouldn't be able to have one with you while you were training. Whether or not you could have one in the truck right out of training, might be a little easier to negotiate.

However, all that said:

Quote:
We're not kids right out of college...we've worked many years accruing humane benefits for human beings so this factor would be an enormous step down for us
After reading this statement, my advice would be to not make the jump at all. If the finer things in life that you have earned mean a great deal to you (they certainly would to me, which is where I am coming from), I can't see you finding any type of a company gig that would make you happy. If you are financially set and absolutely must get into a truck, then go to a school, do a whole lot of research and planning, buy your own truck, and get your own authority. That way, you could run when you like, where you like, take vacation when you want, and take whatever pets you wanted.

Good luck to you, but if you're going to make it and be happy as a company trucking team, you're going to have to set your aim quite a bit lower for now.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Twilight Flyer pretty much nailed it. There is nothing to negotiate. The new hire packages are what they are. If people find them unsuitable, there are a million others in driving school right now who think they're fine.

It's not like you're talking about a specific position for which a pay structure is being created. If you were you could say, "I bring this to the table and these benefits would be reflective of my skills." In this line of work, you're one of millions who do the same job so there won't be any one-to-one negotiating.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Rookie

Twilight Flyer, thank you for giving it to me between the eyes. I really appreciate that. It's good to know what the hiring culture is like because the last thing I wanted to have happen is to not speak up and then find out too late that I should have played hardball. I imagined myself at a truck stop somewhere and getting into a conversation with a seasoned trucker and he/she saying, JJ, you big dummie, you didn't negotiate a good enough deal for yourself...what were you thinking? LOL.

Good to know about possibly trying to work something out for my pooch so I may try a soft approach in that regard.

Rest assured, we're giving this all a whole lot of thought and are weighing all the pros and cons carefully. We haven't made a decision yet and I'm grateful to have a place like this for reality checks.

Blessings,

JJ
Old 08-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you think this is a step down, perhaps you need to reconsider your decision to drive a truck. Most of the larger carriers have very rigid rules and those are the only ones who will be able to get you insured, which means that if you want to get started in this business you will need to adjust to how they do business. This is a much different business than going to an office every day. Some companies don't even offer a vacation. There are approximately 5,000,000 trucks on the highways. Turnover rate is about 127%, if I remember correctly. Until you prove yourself, you don't have a lot with which to negotiate. Proving yourself comes with several years of experience. I own trucks and don't allow pets. There are some who will allow them, but may require a non-refundable deposit. Someone with no skills or experience doesn't have much with which to negotiate. Regardless of what you have done previously or how much you may have earned, you have never been a professional truck driver. It is different than anything you would have done, previously. There are people on this forum and in this profession who have been higher earners in other careers, who have decided to make a change after achieving success in their previous professions. I don't think any of them considered this a step down. Many of us have degrees, some have advanced degrees. We come to this profession for different reasons, but all have a love for driving trucks.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Rookie

Thanks, Vito. Definitely seems pretty cut and dried..take it or leave it. Good to know.

JJ
Old 08-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Rookie

Thanks, GMan. Please be assured, I don't think there's anything wrong with trucking as a living. I meant the loss of vacation in and of itself was a step down for us, not the business of driving a truck. I have enormous respect for truckers...clearly not an easy job and one only has to come to a forum such as this to see beyond any doubt how many smart, educated people are out there driving trucks.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Hi, Welcome to Trucking and CAD.

Just want to add my 2cents for what its worth:

Regarding the vacation: Keep in mind that they are refering to "Paid" vacation. The company will take your average paid miles over the course of the year and pay you that dollar value on your 1 year anniversary, whether you take the vacation time or not.

Nothing will stop you from taking more than 1week vacation, so long as you clear it with your Dispatch/Fleet Manager. However, you will only be paid for the entitled vacation period.

I would also assume that the Pet policy may be negotiatable. It wouldnt hurt to ask on that one.

One benefit in you favor, is you are going into this with the intent on running as a team. Most companies will tend to favor a team truck because of their ability to produce big dividends for a company. Your ability to negotiate "minor" benefits will be greatly improved.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Rookie

Drew10, thanks a million. What you have shared makes the vacation issue a lot more palatable. I can handle not being paid for a little extra time...should it even become necessary to have extra time. That little bit of flexibility you described makes a world of difference. It's not that I'd need the time to go sit on the beach sipping a cocktail (however nice that fantasy is). It would be in case of a problem or a serious need to attend to matters overseas.

The other thing I was thinking about vis-a-vis the previous posts is that I do understand that we're going to be new and without trucking experience but like you said, we're getting into this as a team, which I know is sought after. I love the idea of filling an industry need, particularly when the industry is so integral to the success of our country. Being that we're older, I feel we come with a lot more life/business experience than a youngster would (no offense to the young people..we luv ya ), which I believe is worth something to any company in any industry. We bring stability and problem solving skills and a foresight into what helps/does not help a business in a given situation that is only gained from being in the workforce for a long time. I have no doubt that trucking is unlike anything we've ever experienced before but it is afterall still a business and I'm sure it can benefit at least a little from people like us.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Negotiate? Now thats funny! I dont care who you are. You'll soon realize you are classified as unskilled labor and treated as such. Wait till you find some companies dont even pay your vacation and holiday at a full avg days pay. They flat rate it, sometimes $70-90 a day. A newbie in this business can sometimes feel like slave labor. It can get better with knowledge and experience but move forward with extreme caution. Research, research and more research.