User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 02:56 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Abandonment Question.

Hi, my dad is currently a truck driver. He put in a 2 weeks notice and his last day was supposed to be on Sunday 08/05. Right now he is stuck at another state at a mechanics shop since Friday 08/03 because of mechanical problems. He was told by the dispatcher that he needs to wait until the truck gets fixed and needs to drive it to the terminal which is like 7 hours away from home. Now I've read all about this abandonment policy that these companies have but I feel like they are not being fair in this particular situation. He is wasting time and hotel fees waiting for the truck to get fixed when he is no longer employed by them and they are not willing to work anything out with him. We have planned on a family vacation and he needs to be home by Friday and the company doesn't care and they told him that he needs to stay until the truck gets fixed or they will mark his record with abandonment. Isn't there anything he can do or is this abandonment policy don't have any loop holes especially when the truck is being fixed and the company knows it. My dad has no problem taking it back to the terminal but the days are going by so fast that we are afraid he won't make it back home in time for our vacation. and the other situation is that he asked the dispatcher if there is any way he can rent a car to come back home because all they give him is a bus ticket and he has too much luggage and a refrigerator with him he can't carry around, the dispatcher said that they won't reimburse him the difference of the bust ticket to get a rental car and that he would have to manage to get back home by bus. is that right?

And off the topic the student my father was training had 2 felonies and was ticketed for prostitution. He was caught by the police soliciting prostitution and the dispatcher forced my father to accompany him to court to dispute the charges. Like what company will tolerate such thing shouldn't he had been fired off the bat? My father didn't have any business accompanying this man to court for something he should have been terminated for with no question. I feel like they are being unfair with my father, someone who has been a great employee to them. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:03 AM

First off, is daddy getting paid mileage to bring the truck back to the terminal?

And when did this mechanical trouble start?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:05 AM
Senior Board Member

What company does your Dad drive for??

BTW, Chad!! You never told us that your dad was a driver!!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:34 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Abandonment Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddys a truck driver
Right now he is stuck at another state at a mechanics shop since Friday 08/03 because of mechanical problems.
He's been stewing there over the weekend on his own dime babysitting the company's rig AFTER he quit!?!?!? Good grief, Charlie Brown! Sorry but that one's on HIM!

Forget about DAC. For one, you have the legal right to dispute any entry in your DAC file. Secondly, a few phone calls to the right people will get that straightened out in a jiffy with no messy clean-up.

Quote:
Now I've read all about this abandonment policy that these companies have but I feel like they are not being fair in this particular situation.
What's this? A large motor carrier not giving a hoot about one of their drivers? Heavens to mercatroids!!! Say it ain't so!!!

Quote:
He is wasting time and hotel fees waiting for the truck to get fixed when he is no longer employed by them and they are not willing to work anything out with him.
I'll let my good friends Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry help me out with this one. Cause' I'd be....

GONE like a freight-train, gone like yesterday
Gone like a soldier in the civil war, bang bang
Gone like a '59 Cadillac
Like all the good things that ain't never coming back
Gone (GONE) gone (GONE) gone (GONE) gone
GONE!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian griffin
First off, is daddy getting paid mileage to bring the truck back to the terminal?

And when did this mechanical trouble start?
The dispatcher told him he would get paid for the mileage to take the truck back to the terminal but he is being told different things by different dispatchers that he doesn't know what to believe any more, the mechanical issue started Friday afternoon.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless

I would rather not mention the company's name here, it's not worth mentioning, their workers give it a bad rep anyway.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug

He's been stewing there over the weekend on his own dime babysitting the company's rig AFTER he quit!?!?!? Good grief, Charlie Brown! Sorry but that one's on HIM!

Forget about DAC. For one, you have the legal right to dispute any entry in your DAC file. Secondly, a few phone calls to the right people will get that straightened out in a jiffy with no messy clean-up.

What's this? A large motor carrier not giving a hoot about one of their drivers? Heavens to mercatroids!!! Say it ain't so!!!

I'll let my good friends Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry help me out with this one. Cause' I'd be....
Well, I'm not sure who to talk to about this and when my father asks to speak to a manager the dispatcher won't transfer his call, we are pretty much in the dark in this situation.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Hi, my dad is currently a truck driver. He put in a 2 weeks notice and his last day was supposed to be on Sunday 08/05. Right now he is stuck at another state at a mechanics shop since Friday 08/03 because of mechanical problems. He was told by the dispatcher that he needs to wait until the truck gets fixed and needs to drive it to the terminal which is like 7 hours away from home. Now I've read all about this abandonment policy that these companies have but I feel like they are not being fair in this particular situation. He is wasting time and hotel fees waiting for the truck to get fixed when he is no longer employed by them and they are not willing to work anything out with him. We have planned on a family vacation and he needs to be home by Friday and the company doesn't care and they told him that he needs to stay until the truck gets fixed or they will mark his record with abandonment. Isn't there anything he can do or is this abandonment policy don't have any loop holes especially when the truck is being fixed and the company knows it. My dad has no problem taking it back to the terminal but the days are going by so fast that we are afraid he won't make it back home in time for our vacation. and the other situation is that he asked the dispatcher if there is any way he can rent a car to come back home because all they give him is a bus ticket and he has too much luggage and a refrigerator with him he can't carry around, the dispatcher said that they won't reimburse him the difference of the bust ticket to get a rental car and that he would have to manage to get back home by bus. is that right?

And off the topic the student my father was training had 2 felonies and was ticketed for prostitution. He was caught by the police soliciting prostitution and the dispatcher forced my father to accompany him to court to dispute the charges. Like what company will tolerate such thing shouldn't he had been fired off the bat? My father didn't have any business accompanying this man to court for something he should have been terminated for with no question. I feel like they are being unfair with my father, someone who has been a great employee to them. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.
With a record like his, I doubt that a truck abandonment will really hurt his chances of getting rehired.

The problem you run into is the company may hold onto his last check. I would check with the mechanic about how long it's going to take to fix. If he is givin some BS about time, or that his company put a hold on it, I'd leave it there. Of course, by now, the truck should be fixed, and him on his way.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 08-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless

I would rather not mention the company's name here, it's not worth mentioning, their workers give it a bad rep anyway.
:roll: :roll:
Okay, Chad!! Tell your father, Col.Toon that we wish him well!! :P
Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Senior Board Member

If he put in his 2 week notice and something mechanical happened to the truck before he could get it back to the terminal thats on the company. Thats also why most company's will let you go when you put in your 2 week notice so things like this doesn't happen.

I sure would like to know though which company makes a trainer accompany a trainee to a court date for (soliciting sex, spoken in my Chris Hansen voice)